What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

When to Rivet?

RidiculousM

Well Known Member
When in the build process am I supposed to finish riveting the aft side skin F-824 to the longeron F-887?

It is a quick build kit. The aft deck is finished but the tail has not been mounted yet. I have looked through the instructions extensively and I'm sure that I am missing where it references when to do these. If anybody knows, that would be very helpful as I would like to get them out of the way now but don't know if I have to wait for a certain time in the build down the road.

Thanks,
Mike

2qcqc0h.jpg

Hi Mike,

On my slow build I riveted that area along with the other rivets in the side skin when I attached F-824. Don't forget to leave a few open for the emp fairing as called out on dwg 74.

I'd be surprised a slow build is different, but you may want to call Vans.

Bob

Hi Mike,

On my slow build I riveted that area along with the other rivets in the side skin when I attached F-824. Don't forget to leave a few open for the emp fairing as called out on dwg 74.

I'd be surprised a slow build is different, but you may want to call Vans.

Bob

Same here. I didn't catch that OP had a quick build on the first read, and briefly got worried that I'd riveted something I wasn't supposed to! (wouldn't be the first time...)

Long story short, I believe they can be riveted any time.

Would it be easier to match drill the horizontal and vertical stabs on before riveting those?

Back