What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Mid Cabin Cover question

cdeerinck

Well Known Member
My in-process RV-8 is in need of a single 3 1/8" Instrument in the location of my Mid Cabin Cover. It is a fuel injection controller, and not typically required during flight, so I am ok with the lower location. (and I have zero panel space available)

There are 3 ways to solve this that I can think of:

1. Take part F-880C-R-1 (Mid Cabin Cover on drawing 68A) from an RV-8A, and cut down the aft portion, and fit it on an RV-8.
  2. Design and make a similar part to the F-880C-R-1 myself. If I do this, I would probably rotate the face of the instrument about 30 degrees toward the pilot.
  3. Construct an angled "box" that would sit on top of the existing part F-881-1 (Drawing 68) with a hole for the rear of the instrument.

My questions for this group:

1. RV-8 Builders: Has anyone done something similar to #1 above?
  2. RV-8A Builders: Can anyone tell me the dimensions of the rear angled face of F-880C-R-1? If it isn't at least 3.8" it won't work for my application.

Here is a very rough mock-up.
33uwjr6.jpg

or here if that link doesn't work: http://tinypic.com/m/k51iko/4

Covers

I did something very similar to this. Mounted fuel gauge above fuel selector at an angle. I ordered a new 881PP cover since the fuel valve was already installed and need to be redone. I looked at 8A plans as well and ordered:

F-8113A-L-1 mid cover and cut it down
F-8113-B-R-1 and F-8113-B-L-1 side covers. I did reinforce the front plate with 0.063 for an instrument.

Can send pics if you want.

Fiberglass

I made something similar on the left side FWD of the fuel selector switch. I made it out of fiberglass. I started with cardboard cutouts, then used those to make a mold out of pink foam. Glass makes it real easy to get the angle/position you want.

I did something very similar to this. Mounted fuel gauge above fuel selector at an angle. I ordered a new 881PP cover since the fuel valve was already installed and need to be redone. I looked at 8A plans as well and ordered:

F-8113A-L-1 mid cover and cut it down
F-8113-B-R-1 and F-8113-B-L-1 side covers. I did reinforce the front plate with 0.063 for an instrument.

Can send pics if you want.

Steve - Pictures would be fantastic. Can you email them to me at cjd9 @ me.com ?

I made something similar on the left side FWD of the fuel selector switch. I made it out of fiberglass. I started with cardboard cutouts, then used those to make a mold out of pink foam. Glass makes it real easy to get the angle/position you want.

Aaron - Would you happen to have any pictures of either the process, or final result? I'd love to see them.

Back