What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Oxygen Bottle Installation

jeffwhip

Well Known Member
I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions on where to install an oxygen bottle aft of the cargo bulkhead? Any pictures would be appreciated as that is on today's docket!

I recommend mounting the bottle on top of the tunnel, just aft of the forward seats. This makes it easy in and out for filling, and the pilot has ready accesss to the tank.

I used the large AL-682 (22 cubic feet) Mountain High tank along with the provided nylon case. This tank is more than enough for two people east to west coast and back. The case straps crisscross over the top of the tank, ends secured under four existing tunnel top screws. Taking the tank out is done by undoing the four strap clips.

Carl
O2_install.jpg

If it is a portable bottle, I wouldn't put it aft of the baggage compartment. I think the above post is far better. If it is permanent, then you could put it anywhere aft but I think further forward is better. I didn't have much choice because of the A/C ducting one bay back. Here is a picture of the mount I fabricated:

FP24082011A0000X.jpg

Mountain High's recommendation was to mount the bottle horizontally. I think the logic was that in case of a vertical deceleration, a vertically mounted bottle might slip though the mounts. By that logic, mounting laterally would make the most sense but I didn't have room for that and I think the baggage bulkhead would stop the bottle - if the forces are greater than that the problem is probably moot.

I mounted the fill (and the ground power, no they won't be used at the same time) under the floor of the baggage compartment with a hinged cover so that I wouldn't have to put an external access panel. They are very accessible through the baggage door. Here's a picture of the arrangement before I finished the floor:

FP30052013A0002R.jpg

These are, of course, just ideas. You will be, in the end, your own engineer and designer.

RV-4 O2?

For anyone using O2 in a -4, where did you mount the bottle? Someone posted that they were using/going to use one of those portable O2 generators like the Inogen G4. Any thoughts/experience with a G4 type generator.

Question for the group..

..On a portable setup, is there a reason that it must be located within access of the pilot? In other words, could a portable unit be located out of reach of the pilot, and still be effectively turned off and on in flight?

My O2 bottle is located vertically behind the right seat in the cargo area using two large screw clamps to secure it. Makes it real easy to check tank pressure and for the pilot to turn on and off the pressure valve. Also very easy to remove for refill.

O2 location

I loated mine in the baggage area behind the passenger rear occupant.

I agree that it makes it very easy to access also.

Does not compromise the area that much and brings CG weight closer to centre of balance. :)

Back