What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Three supported versions of the RV-12

Crafting N112DR

Well Known Member
It was so simple, less then a year ago, when someone asked you "what RV you building"? You simply said the12. But now whether you realize it or not there are 3 versions of the 12.

1. RV-12 (original) with the carbureted engine Rotax 912ULS
  2. RV-12ULS (NEW) with new Fuselage and all the other great mods that are incorporated in the new design. Engine is the carbureted Rotax 912ULS
  3. RV-12iS (NEW) with new Fuselage and all the other great mods that are incorporated in the new design. Engine is the electronic fuel injection Rotax 912iS
Something to ponder.

I've wondered about that myself. Obviously, a new fuselage with a 912 iS is an RV-12 iS, but what do you call an RV-12 iS fuselage with a 912 ULS engine?

Pretty small problem in the scheme of things, but it is something to ponder.

I've also wondered what percent of the people who have ordered the new fuselage are going with the 912 iS vs. the 912 ULS.

I've also wondered what percent of the people who have ordered the new fuselage are going with the 912 iS vs. the 912 ULS.

Interesting question. I would guess maybe 80% would go with the iS. Those staying with the ULS are probably doing so mainly to save some money or because they see the iS as being more complicated to maintain. I don't know what it's like in the US but over here it's hard enough to find trained mechanics for the ULS, let alone the iS. Still, if I was building again, I'd go for the iS just to have the latest design. Luckily I don't have to make that decision any more.

Throwing it out there... What about the D180 original version and the Skyview original version both with the ULS. Sure it is electronics....

Are you talking about folks that already have a fuselage, but are upgrading to the new IS fuselage? If that is the case, I would think that 100% of them would be installing the IS engine. Otherwise why would they sell their old fuselage at a loss and then still install the 912 ULS?

It would also be interesting to know the number of new builders that will go with the 912 ULS vs the IS engine.

Jim

Are you talking about folks that already have a fuselage, but are upgrading to the new IS fuselage? If that is the case, I would think that 100% of them would be installing the IS engine. Otherwise why would they sell their old fuselage at a loss and then still install the 912 ULS?

It would also be interesting to know the number of NEW builders that will go with the 912 ULS vs the IS engine.

Jim

Last edited:

It would also be interesting to know the number of NEW builders that will go with the 912 ULS vs the IS engine.

Jim

I was referring to builders who are ordering a fuselage for the first time, not someone who already has the original fuselage.

I agree that if you already have the original fuselage and you're now building an iS fuselage, it's probably because you want the 912 iS engine.

Back