What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

I just joined the wing club.

jcarne

Well Known Member
Patron
Well gents, I just joined the "spend a whole bunch of money on wings club" (may need a better name for that one haha). My order looks almost identical to Cubedroots (shout out for that spreadsheet you made). I was just wondering does anyone carry builders insurance as the dollars are started to get up there? If so who are the options? I'm sure EAA probably has something.

Good for you!!

Congrats on the milestone - you are on your way! You are correct in your thoughts - when the dollars spent start accumulating, then it's time to protect the "investment". I have very good things to say about Leah at Gallagher - give her a call (see contact info below). You can specify the dollar amount you want to insure and then increase it if needed before the term expires if you wish. Like I said, easy to work with.

Leah Ringeisen
Account Executive
Gallagher Aviation

Arthur J. Gallagher Risk Management Services, Inc.
Direct: 877-520-6247| Fax: 636-532-3646
www.ajg.com/lightaircraft / www.ajg.com

Hull insurance

Congrats on the milestone - you are on your way! You are correct in your thoughts - when the dollars spent start accumulating, then it's time to protect the "investment". I have very good things to say about Leah at Gallagher - give her a call (see contact info below). You can specify the dollar amount you want to insure and then increase it if needed before the term expires if you wish. Like I said, easy to work with.

Leah Ringeisen
Account Executive
Gallagher Aviation

Arthur J. Gallagher Risk Management Services, Inc.
Direct: 877-520-6247| Fax: 636-532-3646
www.ajg.com/lightaircraft / www.ajg.com

That's what I did but not till I wrote the huge check for the engine.

I got insurance from Gallagher after the big avionics purchase but, if doing it again, would get it sooner (post engine).

Thanks for the reply guys. I'm kinda surprised that most waited until after the engine. Granted the engine costs a whole bunch of money I figured more would have got it sooner. Mainly asked because I'm sure homeowners wouldn't cover it...

I have very good things to say about Leah at Gallagher - give her a call (see contact info below). You can specify the dollar amount you want to insure and then increase it if needed before the term expires if you wish. Like I said, easy to work with.www.ajg.com/lightaircraft / www.ajg.com

Thanks izzybear, we always like seeing that people are happy with our service. It means a lot!

Jcarne, if you need anything, we're only an email or phone call away. Good luck with the build!

I assumed homeowners would cover up to the limit of your contents insurance. Don't have any personal knowledge that is true, just assumed that personal property such as tools and the Vans kits would be covered

I assumed homeowners would cover up to the limit of your contents insurance. Don't have any personal knowledge that is true, just assumed that personal property such as tools and the Vans kits would be covered

You would need to check with your homeowners policy, but most (if not all) policies will exclude aircraft parts and tools. Builders policies are not very expensive. You can get $40,000 for $250 (minimum premium). Feel free to contact me if you would like me to work up some quotes for you.

Look at the exclusions on your homeowner's policy. Among other things, mine explicitly excepts aircraft parts and anything more than a small quantity of tools, firearms, jewelry, etc.

State Farm would not cover ANY vehicles under the homeowners policy, to include aircraft stuff.

State Farm would not cover ANY vehicles under the homeowners policy, to include aircraft stuff.

Well this essentially answers the question. I think I will be contacting Gallagher when my wings arrive, this seems a small price to pay to be covered. If I was planning on a 10 year build I might weight a bit and hope for the best, but since I am on track to be done in 2.5 years I think it is a small investment to be protected. Also, nice to see Gallagher active on the forums. :)

I'm with you Jereme. I will probably be giving Gallagher a call when my wings arrives, and also calling Shelter Insurance (Homeowners policy) to see what the "contents" section of my policy covers or not covers.

Our airport requires insurance on the hangar.
Once I ordered the fuselage and wings I added them and have upped the limit as I purchased other large things (Fastback kit etc, Grove gear etc.). I am with Avemco. Rates seem comparable to what others I have talked with and I have my non-owned insurance with them as well.

Back