What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Painting System Question

Pbr47906

Well Known Member
Getting ready to consider painting Papa Mike. My question is:

1.) Conventual air compressor or HVLP turbine system?
2.) Mechanical Sanding for surface prep or chemical etching?

Ruley
2017 Dues Paid
President
EAA 256
Lafayette IN
RV7A
N277PM

I have 3 years on my B/C paint now, no problems. I did mechanical scrub with maroon scotchbrite then epoxy primer, the key is to get it primed within hours, not days, before oxidation of the aluminum starts.

I have used the HVLP turbine system, and found it to be a pain to use. The problem is the air heats as you spray. You can get around that by slightly closing off the garden hose (yes the air comes to the gun via a garden hose, very cumbersome) and letting it preheat before you start, (that way you don't start with cold air and have it changing to hot air as you continue painting)but you still need to adjust the reducer for the higher air temp of the system or your paint goes on dry with lots of orange peal.

A better way to go is to use a conventional compressor (which after the painting is done you can still use for every day chores) and purchase a HVLP gun for use with the conventional compressor.

Back