What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Unusable fuel

If you're in level flight, it's less than a 12oz can of soda.
Not that it would be safe to run down that far, because at nose down attitudes you probably would un-port the fuel inlet, but in level flight, it's basically all useable.

Yes. Planning to do the tests but wanted to see what others are finding so as to know if my results are in the right ballpark.

I love a plcture

Ran a tank dry in level flight in my taildragger. Sumped the tank before refueling. Here?s what I got.

1219ab9.jpg
[/IMG]

This is an 8 oz container. Sooo....about 7 oz. Yes, I used water for the picture. Gas is gas :D

Does anyone have any numbers for the unusable fuel for the -14?

During Phase 1 I ran each tank completely dry in flight and then refueled to see what my actual usable fuel amount was.

The right tank took 25.6 to fill and the left took 25.3 to fill, at least based on our airport's fuel pump readings.

In short, I consider the unusable fuel amount to be just about nil.

I tested mine, (14A) by running all the fuel thru the pump and then pulling the drain plug out. I had about 4 oz (half a coffee cup) drained out of each tank. Left side had maybe about an ounce more but hard to say since I just eyeballed it.

Back