What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Wheel pants alignmet ?

Larry DeCamp

Well Known Member
I am installing James pants on Vans gear and mount. The gear has toe in defined by the mount and gear factory drilled holes. The fuse is suspended so the gear is in the FLIGHT orientation. My question is, should the pants be skewed to face forward in the flight vector, or just equally squared with the axle direction ? If with the forward flight vector (ie: parrallel to the fuse centerline ), the pants wiil be significantly skewed from the axle nut seating for the outboard retaing bolt. Your thoughts ?

I'd recommend calling the factory before proceeding. I don't think you want toe in; certainly not with any weight on the wheels.

Having said that, I'd want the pants to be aligned with airflow in flight.

Charlie

edit: To be sure we're on the same page, you're not talking about camber (angle from vertical), are you?

Last edited:
Suspended in the air (no load on the gear), the pants should be aligned with the direction of flight. The ground toe-in or toe-out is irrelevant. You're trying to minimize in-flight drag.

Back