What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Adjustable seat rail for an RV14?

larrys

Well Known Member
For an RV14 has anyone seen or heard of someone making an adjustable seat rail. So the left seat can be easily adjustable for both very tall or very short pilots?
Thanks, Larry

There are 3 positions in which to mount the rudder pedals, but as both sides must be in the same position, this works to accommodate pilots only if they are of similar leg length. I'm 6' 4" and my wife 4' 11". I can just fit my legs under the panel with the rudder pedals in the most forward position. I am going to have to add extensions to both the rudder pedal bars & brake pedals for my wife.

You can also add additional seat-back attachment hinges to the floor pan, which does alter the seat-back rake and would move the seat cushion forward or aft. As there is no seat pan (the seat cushions rest upon the floor pan), you would have to construct an entire seat frame (Oregon Aero does this) to utilize a rail, but this would cause you to lose sitting height and add significant weight to the plane - so unless you are short, I don't recommend you do this.

Thanks for your feedback!

Thanks for the knowledgeable feedback. It seems like it is something that is needed but it sounds like you have a similar case with the understanding of what it takes. I will take your recommendation.
Thanks again, Larry

Back