What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

VP-X Disconnect Problem

bob888

Well Known Member
I have a Vertical Power unit with a G3X system. Recently there have been random disconnects of the AHRS unit. I can reset it on screen using the VP-X page and then OK for the rest of the flight. Anyone else experienced this? Fix?

I have a Vertical Power unit with a G3X system. Recently there have been random disconnects of the AHRS unit. I can reset it on screen using the VP-X page and then OK for the rest of the flight. Anyone else experienced this? Fix?
Hello Bob,

You will want to make sure that Current Fault Detection is not enabled on the VP-X for this unit.

The VP-X manual warns that this feature should not be enabled for low current avionics devices like the GSU 25.

Thanks,
Steve

Last edited:
I have experienced this issue, however it reset on its own within seconds. I do have active logging on one second increment and looking at my logs, I don?t see any interruptions with the VP-X, voltage or over current faults. What makes you suspect the VP unit? It seems more likely to me that there is an issue with the ADHRS (I have a GSU 25).

I had not experienced this until I updated the G3X to v8.3. It?s happened twice since then, but I have no idea what?s causing it or how to repeat it.

This topic probably belongs in the avionics forum...

I saw this same issue over the weekend. Message says AHARS 1 disconnect, or something like that. Traffic unavailable warning and then it rectified itself within 10 seconds or so. I am going to check the logs today and see what's up. Never seen this message before. Also saw the system act as though the MFD was failed and the engine instruments appeared on the PFD for a few seconds, then disappeared. This has happened twice now since the software update. This is a non-touch system.

Hello Bob,

You will want to make sure that Current Fault Detection is not enabled on the VP-X for this unit.

The VP-X manual warns that this feature should not be enabled for low current avionics devices like the GSU 25.

Thanks,
Steve

I don't Current Fault Detection enabled for this device.

Due to the fact I have the VP-X Sport with fewer power circuits than the Pro version, I have my GSU 25 fused to the same power circuit as my GEA 24. I've not had any interruptions with my engine indications, so the issue is not with the VP-X, but rather it's the ADAHRS or related component.

Last edited:
I know these issues can end up being very specific on what components are installed and the critical specific details but as one data point:

I have a dual screen G3X Touch System.
PFD - Uses a GSU73 as its primary AHRS
MFD/PFD - Uses a GSU25 as its primary AHRS
VPX-Pro

I have not experienced any drop outs of the GSU25 that I have noticed with ver 8.30 firmware. Possible I have missed em though if they are fast.

Back