What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

New Voltage Regulator Needed

todehnal

Well Known Member
I need a new voltage regulator. I really want a Silent Hektik 14 volt with spade connectors, and without the Lithium Ion step charging. I have gone through pages of posts on the subject, but have not found a single good SK part number, or USA supplier. Probable caused by my poor search skills. It looks like we have quite a few flying, so there must be a source. I would really appreciate it if someone could guild me to a good part number and source.

Thanks for your help............Tom

Tom .... Just curious as to why you find the voltage stepping on the Silent Hektik F-4118 regulator objectionable? My understanding is that the voltage stepping is also beneficial for AGM batteries such as our Odyssey PC-680 batteries.

Admittedly, I don't have a lot of hours on my Silent Hektik F-4118 regulator yet ... but it seems to be working well thus far.

I have the voltage stepping SH regulator in mine. The part I don't like is that if the engine is not running for more than 30 minutes, there is virtually no charging going on. It doesn't hit above 13.5V until I've been in the air a good while. I'd much prefer to either just have full voltage from the outset, or have it step up to full voltage within 10 minutes or so instead of 45 minutes. OK if you're on a cross country trip; not so great if it's a day of short Young Eagles flights.

I emailed SH to ask if the regulator could be programmed or field modified to do that -- the response was somewhat snotty and said they could build me one for 300 Euros, plus shipping. Sigh... Germans. I'll live with it.

Tom .... Just curioius as to why you find the voltage stepping on the Silent Hektik F-4118 regulator objectionable? My understanding is that the voltage stepping is also beneficial for AGM batteries such as our Odyssey PC-680 batteries.

Admittedly, I don't have a lot of hours on my Silent Hektik F-4118 regulator yet ... but it seems to be working well thus far.

John, I'd prefer to have the full 14+ Volt charging from the start. I think it would suit my short flights better. From what I have read, they make them. I just need a good number, and a USA supplier. I think the number is R4112 but I'm not certain, nor do I know a supplier. ..............Tom

Actually, I would even be willing to give the 4118, 4 step unit a try, but I still can't find a place to buy one......................Tom

I think the number is R4112 but I'm not certain, nor do I know a supplier. ..............Tom

You are correct about the part number of 4112 being a non steeping version .... I have one of those as well. Apparently, at one time they came in different versions spade leads and wired .... there is a little history here so I will tell the story as I know it.

A few years back when it was being reported the Ducati regulators were beginning to fail, a photo was posted here of the Silent Hektik F-4112 regulator with spade leads. I liked the idea of having a much more robust heatsink .... so while I was still building my RV-12, I ordered the Silent Hektik through a motorcycle shop in England that sells Silent Hektik products using the F-4112 part number that was on the label of the one I saw in the photo posted here on the VAF forums.

When the regulator was received, it had a part number of R-4112 and had wires coming out of the regulator as opposed to the spade leads I was expecting. I had the motorcycle shop in England call Silent Hektik to inquire about why the unit I received had wires as opposed to the spade leads and the answer the shop received was that Silent Hektik no longer offered the spade lead version with the F-4112 part number and that now it only comes with wires. The motorcycle shop was told that the F-4118 regulator is the one that now comes with spade leads.
Return from the future: I have just been informed that the Silent Hektik F-4112 non-stepping regulator with spade leads is still available after just speaking to another builder who ordered one within the last year. Apparently the shop that passed the info on to me did not receive good intel from Silent Hektik or misunderstood.

Notice the subtle change in the part number ... the one I received is R-4112 not the F-4112 I was expecting. Will it work .... sure will but it is NOT pin for pin compatible with the Ducati regulator's connector. What is the difference other than the R-4112 having wires? Its the way the regulators obtain their grounding. The F-4112 spade lead version gets its ground through the case of the regulator being bolted to the firewall shelf so it has a spade lead called Bat+ (which on the RV-12 wiring harness for the Ducati regulator is connected to the R lead just in front of the connector).

However, the R-4112 regulator receives its ground through one of the wires (Bat -) coming from the regulator and NOT through the regulator's case ... this wire needs to be run directly to battery's ground. For this reason, the wired version of the regulator IS NOT pin for pin compatible with the existing wiring connector that plugs into the Ducati regulator. That said, all the remaining wires are compatible ... so they could be plugged into the connector for the Ducati regulator. It's just the Bat - wire from the R-4112 regulator that can't be plugged into the Ducati regulator's connector because that is Bat + ... instead, the Bat- wire coming from the regulator needs to be run directly to the negative terminal on the battery.

I did a big write up on this on the Blog with photos that can be seen here:
http://www.dogaviation.com/2017/06/installing-bender-baffle-piggybacked_12.html

Last edited:
John, thanks very much for your help. I finally found an email address for Silent Hektik and sent them an inquiry. I was pleased to receive a reply the same day. In my email, I asked specifically for the F4112 with spade connectors. I also mentioned that I was installing it on a Rotax 912 ULS. The reply stated that the new and improved F4118 would be a direct replacement and that it was designed to work with A.G. and L.I. batteries. I guess that I was mistaken when I said that I thought the non stepping 4112 was a better choice. They also sent me an order form link. Go to the following link and click on "order" which is right below the green "Made In Germany". The price in US dollars comes to about $200 plus tax and shipping. Not sure what the exact total would be. I also asked about the capacitor. I mentioned that we had a 22 micro-farad capacitor already in the circuit. They said that was satisfactory for their installation. Maybe this will save someone else all of the frustrating research that I went through. So, they are available directly from S.H. and the cost will probably end up to be about 20% higher than the OEM unit. But I think that it is probably worth the extra cost............Tom

the Link: http://www.silent-hektik.de/UL_R_912.htm

It looks like the "Country" section of the mailing address only contains EU countries. Are you sure they'll ship to the U.S.? It also looks like the credit card info only provided for DE or EU credit cards.

NAPA Voltage Regulator

http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=122197&page=7

Good discussion on a NAPA replacement for the Ducatti (sp?) VR.

I had my VR go out too, then found this thread discussing the NAPA replacement.

Bought the NAPA regulator, installed it inside my cockpit on the inside of the firewall, then bought one of those 5" square 12VDC cooling fans off of Amazon.

My cooling fan runs anytime the Master Switch is on and blows cooling air over the regulator.

It puts out about 14.7 volts and will handle up to 20 amps.

Have had it in for over 100 hours now, and no issues.

NAPA Part Number: SMA 7068102

Regards
Rodney

I thought about adding a cooling fan as well but didn't see a convenient way to mount it without it sticking out in the way. Where did you mount it?

It looks like the "Country" section of the mailing address only contains EU countries. Are you sure they'll ship to the U.S.? It also looks like the credit card info only provided for DE or EU credit cards.

Thanks Tom. I didn't notice that and have not yet placed my order. Since I have already made email contact with them, I went ahead and sent a reply, asking those questions. I probably won't hear anything until Monday, but I will post the reply. Thanks again...........Tom

Thanks Tom. I didn't notice that and have not yet placed my order. Since I have already made email contact with them, I went ahead and sent a reply, asking those questions. I probably won't hear anything until Monday, but I will post the reply. Thanks again...........Tom
I'd be interested in the answers, also what the shipping cost might be ...

I've been using a John Deere clone for 150 hours now. The first one lasted 50 hrs. The second one with a small cooling fan mounted just on top of the fins has been going for 100 hrs. now. I like the charge rate. I think this has proven that heat is the killer. They need airflow. Now that I have talked about it, it will probably blow tomorrow.

In January 2017 I ordered 14 Silent Hektik regulators. Initial price ?197,-. "Bulk" price ?160,-
So my advice is to make a group to buy more regulators at the same time.

Besides that in my installation I needed an extra ground wire from the battery to the case of the Silent Hektik. Without the groundwire my Icom radio "freezes" up.

I did get an answer from S.H. You suspicions are now verified. I received a reply from my last email, and was informed that they only sell in Europe. So, unless we can come up with a friend or agent in Europe to make the buy and forward the VRs, we're out of luck. At this point I'm open to suggestions....Tom

Ramrod25 - Can you tell us with the new NAPA VR how to wire it? There are 5 prongs on the NAPA and 6 on Ducati - but one is not used. The nomenclature on the NAPA VR is not the quite the same as the Ducati - so we are not sure what wire goes where.

We are on our 4th Ducati VR in 2.5 years. 1st one failed at 233 hours, 2nd one at 111hours, 3rd one at 109 hours, and just installed 4th today. We need to try something different.

Bob1393

E-Mail : [email protected] if you want to E-Mail me or use PM or even right here in the open forums.

Thanks R25

I ordered both the fix charge rate and stepped charge rate SH regulators. Currently have fix charge rate one installed...has been rock solid; and is a quality product...well worth the expense.

Just installed the EarthX battery...the difference in weight is unbelievable. Going to need some more weight reduction to get to flight level 60 (class A airspace)😎

Which S/H reg?

Hi Ric,

Re - I ordered both the fix charge rate and stepped charge rate SH regulators. Currently have fix charge rate one installed...has been rock solid; and is a quality product...well worth the expense.

- I believe the step rate regulator is the correct regulator for the EarthX Lipo battery, not the fixed charge rate (as you referred to above)

Have you added the wire for the BMS (Battery Management system) and configured the additional Skyview widget? (and Possibly alarm settings for the new BMS screen widget) in my experience with the S/H Stepped charge Reg and EarthX battery change out, i had to disable the audible alarm parameters i had setup in the first instance.

I kept on getting the warning cry "Engine monitor" warning every 5 seconds due to the "high current charging" monitor function of the BMS. (This was due to completing a Skyview nav software updates and BMS widget install and settings and not recharging battery prior to flight.)
If you have just wired up the BMS to a dash visual warning light it's a good idea to have a good read of the meaning of the warning light "flash codes" prior to flying as it can be a bit disconcerting if / when it starts flashing and you don't know what it means. (Yes, i read that part of the instructions later, not before. That's normal isn't it? :eek:)

I also had to amend /adjust the "voltage" widget warning parameters to lower values so the initial charge voltage indications for the first couple of charge steps (about 20 mins from memory) were not in the yellow caution range.

Did you add an additional Capacitor to the regulator circuit?
(I noticed this has been discussed previously on another thread and i think it was Scott or Joe that mentioned there was already a capacitor in the AV5000 control module although i don't recall if the capacitor value was mentioned)

Re - Just installed the EarthX battery...the difference in weight is unbelievable.
Odyssey = 6.5 kg, EarthX = 1.9 kg, Difference of 4.6 KG! (10.12lbs)
- I'm confident you made the allowances for the significant weight change in your C/G calculations when loading the aircraft prior to flight.

I'm also guessing you may not have finished the battery instal and started the engine, when you posted the message, as you made no mention of the difference the EarthX makes to the engine cranking speed. In my case the increase cranking speed was significant. i suspect our odyssey battery was in the process of dying, we were having trouble with the occasional engine kick back on startup.
(our engine doesn't have the soft start modules.) I also changed to the later model, increased retard flywheel as well, but did not change the ignition modules @$1,500.00 ea Aus) to help prevent the starting kickback and the associated possible damage to the starter sprag clutch .
Had i installed the EarthX battery first, in most cases, i suspect the increased cranking speed would have alleviated the starting kickback.

So far I have just over 2 hours of engine run and flight time on this new combination. Once i get the Stabilator refitted after finishing of Sb18-02-02 and Sb18-02-03 (next weekend weather gods allowing) i plan to get some more flying enjoyment and experience on the combination.

Cheers, :)

Hi Ric,

Re - I ordered both the fix charge rate and stepped charge rate SH regulators. Currently have fix charge rate one installed...has been rock solid; and is a quality product...well worth the expense.

- I believe the step rate regulator is the correct regulator for the EarthX Lipo battery, not the fixed charge rate (as you referred to above)

Have you added the wire for the BMS (Battery Management system) and configured the additional Skyview widget? (and Possibly alarm settings for the new BMS screen widget) in my experience with the S/H Stepped charge Reg and EarthX battery change out, i had to disable the audible alarm parameters i had setup in the first instance.

I kept on getting the warning cry "Engine monitor" warning every 5 seconds due to the "high current charging" monitor function of the BMS. (This was due to completing a Skyview nav software updates and BMS widget install and settings and not recharging battery prior to flight.)
If you have just wired up the BMS to a dash visual warning light it's a good idea to have a good read of the meaning of the warning light "flash codes" prior to flying as it can be a bit disconcerting if / when it starts flashing and you don't know what it means. (Yes, i read that part of the instructions later, not before. That's normal isn't it? :eek:)

I also had to amend /adjust the "voltage" widget warning parameters to lower values so the initial charge voltage indications for the first couple of charge steps (about 20 mins from memory) were not in the yellow caution range.

(I noticed this has been discussed previously on another thread and i think it was Scott or Joe that mentioned there was already a capacitor in the AV5000 control module although i don't recall if the capacitor value was mentioned)

Re - Just installed the EarthX battery...the difference in weight is unbelievable.
- I'm confident you made the allowances for the significant weight change in your C/G calculations when loading the aircraft prior to flight.

I'm also guessing you may not have finished the battery instal and started the engine, when you posted the message, as you made no mention of the difference the EarthX makes to the engine cranking speed. In my case the increase cranking speed was significant. i suspect our odyssey battery was in the process of dying, we were having trouble with the occasional engine kick back on startup.
(our engine doesn't have the soft start modules.) I also changed to the later model, increased retard flywheel as well, but did not change the ignition modules @$1,500.00 ea Aus) to help prevent the starting kickback and the associated possible damage to the starter sprag clutch .
Had i installed the EarthX battery first, in most cases, i suspect the increased cranking speed would have alleviated the starting kickback.

So far I have just over 2 hours of engine run and flight time on this new combination. Once i get the Stabilator refitted after finishing of Sb18-02-02 and Sb18-02-03 (next weekend weather gods allowing) i plan to get some more flying enjoyment and experience on the combination.

As I just installed the earthx (while doing SB?s for tail feathers); I haven?t cranked the engine yet...so haven?t noted how it will perform. As to using the stepped charging SH. I still have the fixed rate SH in plane and plan on seeing how it works...as is. I will be looking into incorporating the BMS into my G3X...got to do some homework as to how.

I did install the larger capacitor per SH instructions.

Ric, have you recalculate you CG yet after installing there EarthX Battery. I suspect it has moved aft some what.;)

Ric, have you recalculate you CG yet after installing there EarthX Battery. I suspect it has moved aft some what.;)

Not yet...you bet��, especially with my aux 10 gallon fuel tank.

Edit: I use the old military method to check CG...take er up off the runway a foot or two, if it’s not squirrelly, good to go!

Last edited:
Hi Ric,

Thought i?d Pass on info I received from EarthX tech support....there is no need for the ?stepped charge regulator? as long as voltage does not exceed 14.4 volts. Meaning the SH fixed rate regulator is fine..

Thought i?d Pass on info I received from EarthX tech support....there is no need for the ?stepped charge regulator? as long as voltage does not exceed 14.4 volts. Meaning the SH fixed rate regulator is fine..

I don't think the stepped regulator design was done to protect the battery, I think it was to protect the charging system.
If the earthX is discharged a lot, it will try and pull all the amps that the charge system can supply. A 912ULS doesn't have a lot of reserve available so the ramp up keeps the battery from overwhelming the charging system right after start-up.

I don't think the stepped regulator design was done to protect the battery, I think it was to protect the charging system.
If the earthX is discharged a lot, it will try and pull all the amps that the charge system can supply. A 912ULS doesn't have a lot of reserve available so the ramp up keeps the battery from overwhelming the charging system right after start-up.

Very good point....and the reason to upgrade. Thanks

My only (relatively minor) gripe about the stepped voltage regulator is the amount of time it takes to step up to full voltage. Mine takes a good 45 minutes before it reaches its max, and it sits at 12.7 V for 15 minutes of that. When making several short flights (like a Young Eagles day) you're not getting a lot of charging done. I asked the manufacturer if there is a way to change the time constant -- there isn't.

I would guess NAPA one will work forever at 1/2 cost !

You can buy what appears to be the same regulator on Amazon for about $20 or so. I usually get 125-150 hours out of one with a small cooling fan blowing on the cooling fins. I always carry a spare with me.

You can buy what appears to be the same regulator on Amazon for about $20 or so. I usually get 125-150 hours out of one with a small cooling fan blowing on the cooling fins. I always carry a spare with me.

I thought about going this route; however, what concerned me was when a regulator goes south...there is always a chance it could wreck havoc on ?very expensive electronics?....just a thought🤓

I thought about going this route; however, what concerned me was when a regulator goes south...there is always a chance it could wreck havoc on ?very expensive electronics?....just a thought🤓

That *shouldn't* be an issue in a properly designed electrical system.

(aeroelectric connection...aeroelectric connection...aero.....)

I guess ?shoudn?t? does not make me feel warm and fuzzy! I?ve seen first hand what run-away charging systems can do...this is an area where saving a few bucks doesn?t make sense to me....but, hey. We are all big boys....follow your own gut on this issue.

That assumes an electrical system different from the Rotax/RV-12, I think.

The Rotax doesn't use an alternator with a field winding, so you can't "crowbar" the field winding and shut down the alternator if there's an overvoltage condition. The rectifier/voltage regulator is the only thing other than the switch that stands between the raw output of the alternator and your avionics. One of the possible failure modes (we don't know how likely) would be full or partial rectification, with no regulation at all. It is possible for the regulator to fail in a manner that would put a fairly high voltage onto the bus. I know when my $30 Amazon special clone of the Deere regulator went south (after roughly 6 hours), my Dynon told me the bus voltage was 16V. I suspect it was higher, but had no real instrumentation on board.

Fortunately the D180, GTX 327, GPS 496 and SL 40 are all designed for voltages in excess of 30V. I'd be a little concerned about the fuel pump if the overvoltage condition lasted more than a few minutes.

I personally won't go back to that style of regulator because I have little to no confidence that they won't fail at random and possibly short intervals. The smell of electrical smoke and alarms going off in flight do not inspire confidence among my passengers.

I have had 6 failures in two different 12?s and in each case, the failure was at start up. It seems to me that the voltage did go to about 19 volts or so. Same exact scenario with the Ducati and Amazon. Doesn?t seem that one holds up any better than the other. The Amazon does get hotter.

Arrrgggg.......

Aeroelectric. Aeroelectric. Aeroelectric. ...

Come on, guys. The dynamo that's being sold by B&C, etc is the same *type* of permanent magnet generator as what you're getting on a 912. If your -12 is a factory-built light sport, I guess you're out of luck. But if it's got 'experimental' anywhere in its name, you can fix the problem of overvoltage risk. If you're flying a Lyc with one of those PM backup generators, you're at the same risk as the Rotax guys and you need OV protection there, too.

To be explicit: Yes, overvoltage events can and quite likely will occur. Your mission, should you choose to accept it, is to wire your plane so an overvoltage event can't kill your electronics.

Aeroelectric. Aeroelectric.

Sign up for the aeroelectric list, and ask your question on how to solve the problem. You'll get referred to...wait for it...the Aeroelectric Connection book, which you can get for the effort of downloading it.

Charlie

Arrrgggg.......

Aeroelectric. Aeroelectric. Aeroelectric. ...

Come on, guys. The dynamo that's being sold by B&C, etc is the same *type* of permanent magnet generator as what you're getting on a 912. If your -12 is a factory-built light sport, I guess you're out of luck. But if it's got 'experimental' anywhere in its name, you can fix the problem of overvoltage risk. If you're flying a Lyc with one of those PM backup generators, you're at the same risk as the Rotax guys and you need OV protection there, too.

To be explicit: Yes, overvoltage events can and quite likely will occur. Your mission, should you choose to accept it, is to wire your plane so an overvoltage event can't kill your electronics.

Aeroelectric. Aeroelectric.

Sign up for the aeroelectric list, and ask your question on how to solve the problem. You'll get referred to...wait for it...the Aeroelectric Connection book, which you can get for the effort of downloading it.

Charlie

I?m confused......so I can install something else to protect my electrical system?

Why not just install a ?quality built? ?stepped charge rate? regulator/rectifier SH voltage regulator.....that solves both issues (lifi battery)...

I?m confused......so I can install something else to protect my electrical system?
In theory...

You could add a relay to disconnect your alternator from the rest of the system, and a fuse or breaker for that relay's coil, and a "crowbar" overvoltage module. Now you have added some more protection from overvoltage...

and three more potential points of failure (the fuse or breaker, OVP module, and the relay). Two of those will have at least two failure modes, one of which (each) you wouldn't know about until it's too late. You gain some degree of protection but introduce complexity and additional potential points of failure.

Isn't this fun?

So we know the Ducati regulator, or at least some number of them, and at least in the RV-12, has a reputation for failing somewhat more often than we'd like. It seems from what I have seen that most of the failures are the result of somewhat less than stellar quality design and manufacturing of the regulators.

Some have tried substituting a much, much cheaper regulator, with mixed success. Some have switched to the Silent Hektik regulators, and so far I don't think we've heard of any of those that have failed - but it's early in the game yet. The one thing I don't think we've heard yet is, "Hey, my regulator failed and took out my Dynon and Garmin stuff". I don't know what the chances are of that happening. I do know I'm not inclined to make even more extensive changes to a system that may have a reputation for eating voltage regulators, but does not seem to have developed an appetite for avionics.

That's just me. If you're flying an E-SLA or E-AB, feel free to go your own way.

Why not just install a ?quality built? ?stepped charge rate? regulator/rectifier SH voltage regulator.....that solves both issues (lifi battery)...

... because the last I knew they were a bit hard to come by here in the States. Has that changed?

I?m tempting the electrical gods here, but V/R failure has not been a huge problem for me. I replaced one at about 300 Hours based on a low voltage alarm after start. I now have 400 hours on the second Ducati and it seems happy here in the Phoenix heat. Cracking of the ignition coil bracket is a much bigger PITA for me.

... because the last I knew they were a bit hard to come by here in the States. Has that changed?

Tom,

The link to order is: www.motoguzzisales.co.uk/index.htm

The F4112 is the fixed rate regulator, the F4118 is the stepped rate regulator

Also, recommended...is to install a 33,000 uf, 35 volt, 105 C capacitor. The RV-12 has a 22,000 one. Doesn’t hurt to add additional....I think SH has done more homework on this issue.

I hate to stir the pot again but I found what looks like a direct replacement for Ducati VR. For the guys that are going through these things like popcorn and want to stay with Ducati form factor this might be economical answer - $43.93 on eBay incl shipping. You?d have to compare part numbers and check specs but it looks like the real McCoy.

I installed a John Deere AM101406 at 100TT when my Ducati took a dump. No problems at all and now at 450TT.

I got one of those $43.93 rectifier regulators. Visually it?s the same and the connector is the same. Plan to carry it along in case it?s needed to get home with. Don?t know the load it can carry.

HAS ANYONE USED THE $43 EBAY REGULATOR?

Has anyone installed the $43.93 Ebay regulator to confirm it is the same and works? Lockwood?s replacement is $147.57.

I hate to stir the pot again but I found what looks like a direct replacement for Ducati VR. For the guys that are going through these things like popcorn and want to stay with Ducati form factor this might be economical answer - $43.93 on eBay incl shipping. You’d have to compare part numbers and check specs but it looks like the real McCoy.

I installed a John Deere AM101406 at 100TT when my Ducati took a dump. No problems at all and now at 450TT.

Just ordered the John Deere model. Is that plug and play compared to the original Ducati VR ? search " ebay Rectifier Voltage Regulator John Deere Mowers Tractors AM101406 MIA881279 Just noticed that the pins are rotated 90 degrees from vertical to horizontal.

Last edited:
Back