What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Flyboys Lighweight Tailwheel

uk_figs

Well Known Member
Friend
My Vans stock tailwheel bearings have given up the ghost after 10 years and I am installing the Flyboys lightweight tailwheel on my -7 and wondered if anyone has already calculated the W&B impact? i.e over that long an arm is the weight difference significant enough to add to my baseline W&B formula and the aircraft logbook?
Figs

Ounces

Talking just a few ounces less weight. Do you really want to drain your fuel tanks and put your airplane on a set of scales for this? A pair of travel chocks in your baggage compartment would have a bigger influence IMHO. If it makes you feel better then by all means change it out and weigh it. The rest of us will be flying that day. :D

From a piloting standpoint, you won’t notice the difference. From a bookkeeping standpoint, measure it, weight the two wheels, do the calculation, and update the numbers so that you don’t get behind as you make changes to the airplane. Several years down the line, you’ll have made numerous small changes, and you’ll be far enough behind you’ll have to pull out the scales....which you might do anyway....

I second Paul. Weigh both tailwheel assemblies. From there it's just subtract a moment for the old one and add a moment for the new one.

I agree with Paul...

...just do the math and update the books. That's how its done in the certified world unless theres a major modification that needs re-weighing.

Here's a link to a weight and balance calculator for just about any RV

I would caution anyone using someone else's W&B calculator to check it thoroughly before trusting it.

For example, on the RV-8 W&B program linked in the quoted post, I noticed a few things right off the bat after a quick cursory look.

1) It written for RV-8s with the "Dash-One" wing, which have a 1600 pound aerobatic GW. Aerobatic GW for RV-8s with the Non-"Dash-One" wing is 1550 pounds .

2) Each baggage area (Rear Floor, Rear Shelf, and Forward Baggage area) have their own weight limits (50, 25, and 50 pounds, respectively).

3) The RV-8 is stressed for Utility Category load factor limits between the Aerobatic gross weight (1550 or 1600 pounds, depending on the wing) and the Maximum gross weight (1800 pounds). The linked W&B calculator does not reflect this properly.

There may be other inaccuracies as well.

Yes, your absolutely correct to be careful with any W&B sheet.
I should have put a disclaimer in my post (the W&B sheet isn't mine).

On the data sheet, the proper figures can be inputed with whatever figures one knows to be correct.

Flyboys

Props to those guys! They truly know what customer service means, which has unfortunately faded in today?s times. They make a great product and have extremely fast shipping. I will definitely promote buy from these guys!
Ricky

49clipper

since no one answered your question, I did the same change on my Stock O-320 powered -6 and it moved it .25" forward. Do the math like Dan said and log it. No job is done in aviation till the paperwork is done.
JS

Updated the W&B

I updated the W&B spreadsheet and the change is not insignificant as it is a 240 lb change due to the arm. In any -7 with a lightweight prop any positive CG impact helps :D
Thanks for the inputs.
Figs

I replaced the stock Vans tailwheel on my 7 during the recent inspection. I must say it is an AWESOME product and far superior to the stock one. I changed the fork at the same time as well.It taxi's far better and is really positive. I thought it may be different in a three point landing but it was not the case. Setting the tail down after a fast or slow wheel landing I noticed how smooth it was.

Back