What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

AFP Fuel Pump installation help

1flyingyogi

Well Known Member
I'm about to order the Fuel Injection kit from Airflow Performance for my RV4 and was wondering if anyone has photos that might be helpful. Specifically, I'd love to see how you mounted the electric pump. It's significantly bigger than the stock low pressure pump and I'm concerned about getting it to fit. This is probably the hardest part of the install? Any help/ tips/ photos would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

I'm about to order the Fuel Injection kit from Airflow Performance for my RV4 and was wondering if anyone has photos that might be helpful. Specifically, I'd love to see how you mounted the electric pump. It's significantly bigger than the stock low pressure pump and I'm concerned about getting it to fit. This is probably the hardest part of the install? Any help/ tips/ photos would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Don't you have an installation manual? Mine literally has dozens of implementation photos.

Don't be shy, give Don or Kyle a call at Airflow Performance. They are very accommodating and extremely helpful to their customers.

Don't you have an installation manual? Mine literally has dozens of implementation photos.

Don't be shy, give Don or Kyle a call at Airflow Performance. They are very accommodating and extremely helpful to their customers.

Thanks Bob. He emailed me photos, but none are of the fuel pump and none are from an RV4. They are from an RV6. I'll call him and see.

Thanks Bob. He emailed me photos, but none are of the fuel pump and none are from an RV4. They are from an RV6. I'll call him and see.

If you're looking for something you can copy exactly, you'll probably not have your expectations met. Use the photos to understand best practices, then take that knowledge and determine what's best for your RV-4. Even though we all start out with the same kit, no two aircraft are exactly the same.

I don't have any direct knowledge of the RV-4. Was there a electric fuel pump in any of the original plans?

I put my Airflow Performance pump in the center with the stick. It's mounted on the left wall and just fits if you get Don to send you 90deg fitting for the pump. Don does not recommend using 90deg fitting but I did not want to put the pump in my forward center section and that's where my smoke tank is. PM me your email/phone and I will shot you a pic if you want one.

I just PM'd you Shawn.

Bob, my stock low pressure pump is just forward of the stick, under the fuel selector valve. It looks quite a bit smaller than the AFP unit with filter, so I'm just trying to think ahead and see if anyone else was able to get it to fit in the stock location or I'll need to figure out another place for it. Once I actually have everything in front of me, it'll be much more clear.

Beside of the battery

Hello Brian

I rebuild an O into an IO-320 in an RV-4. AFP pump and FM-150L.

The pump is in the center tunnel, left beside the battery. Mounted with two Adel clamps.

Not much room for the lines. I deceided to go with G-Line XF teflon/ss tubing. They are quit flexible. Also be carefull when tightening the fittings, the manual show realy low values for the torque.

Sorry, no photos yet. But i have to document the rebild process, so I have to make some.

Back