What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Help. Can?t get full travel on rudder

caapt

Well Known Member
I can?t get full travel when applying left rudder. The tabs for the brake pistons on the rudder pedals are hitting the tube for the other pedal. Vans was NO help. Ever hear a shoulder shrug over the phone?

Making sure

Are you sure that the correct tube is in front. The spacing from tube to tab is different. The forward tube has a longer spacing than does the rear. Someone posted a while back some issues and their tubes were reversed.

If thats not the case, pm me a photo or send me your e-mail and see if we can figure it out. I can then e-mail a photo of mine.

Are your pedals in the forward most position? If so your problem is that the links to the rudder pedals aren’t long enough. Their is a thread about this but long story short, you can buy two pieces of thin steel from Vans and fabricate 4 new ones longer. Having longer pieces allows the pedals to be in a more vertical orientation preventing one tube from hitting another.

Are your pedals in the forward most position? If so your problem is that the links to the rudder pedals aren’t long enough. Their is a thread about this but long story short, you can buy two pieces of thin steel from Vans and fabricate 4 new ones longer. Having longer pieces allows the pedals to be in a more vertical orientation preventing one tube from hitting another.

This is probably the number one issue with -14 rudder travel. Check out E's outstanding post on his blog: https://rv-14a.blogspot.com/2017/10/fuselage-rudder-and-brake-systems.html

My rudders are middle position and I used the full length of the links to get good travel.

Last edited:
Are you sure that the correct tube is in front. The spacing from tube to tab is different. The forward tube has a longer spacing than does the rear. Someone posted a while back some issues and their tubes were reversed.

If thats not the case, pm me a photo or send me your e-mail and see if we can figure it out. I can then e-mail a photo of mine.

I also thought of this - can't think of another reason there would be interference. Also suggest carefully checking install of brake cylinders against KAI. Easy to make a minor error that could cause interference issues.

Problem Solved

Moved the pedals out of the most forward position. Both the center and aft position give full range movement for the pedals. Thank God I didn't
have to get creative with the fix.

I had the same problem and, thanks to this forum, I found I had installed the tubes backwards. Reversing them (not an easy job) solved the problem. Gotta read the drawings very carefully or problems are almost guaranteed.
Joe
Longview, TX

RV 14A wings complete
fuselage complete
engine installed
working on cowling
next step … move everything from shop to airport and install wings
gettin' close :D

Arion Lightning LS-1 flying regularly
2019 dues paid

Last edited:
Back