What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Looking for advice on first trip KRAP to KNFL to KAPA

ffoster

I'm New Here
I will be flying my RV 12 this summer to Fort Collins and then to Denver Centennial. This will be my first trip to the area. Is there anybody here that would be willing to talk to me about any prior planning that I need to do?

Where do I park? What is the fees?

Where do I get gas?

How do I direct somebody that hasn't been there before to come pick me up in their car?

Thanks for the help,
Forrest

I don't know much about Ft. Collins, but am based at KAPA. It can be very busy, but the controllers are very helpful as long as you don't have a runway incursion. When you are ready to do the KFNL to KAPA leg, I suggest you use the VFR corridor as depicted on the back of the Denver terminal chart. Take it S until you are over Chatfield reservoir, then hang a left. Get ATIS, then call KAPA tower when you are 10 miles out (or just tell them you are over Chatfield). Runway 10-28 is closed for the summer. You will be landing 17-35 R or L; pay attention to which they give you. They get unhappy if you encroach on the wrong rnwy. You will probably want to park in area Hotel; they have ramp or sometimes covered parking available. PM me when the time is closer and I may be able to get you a hangar. Your friends can meet you at Denver Jet Cntr. East, 13000 E Control Tower Rd.

When you are ready to depart, the ground procedure is different than most fields. The run up areas are a moving target right now because of the rnwy construction. Check notams or atis to find out where they are during your stay. Ground will expect you to have completed your run up before contacting them. You will stay with ground freq. for all taxi operations; do not go to tower freq. till they specifically tell you to.

Jet Cntr. fuel is currently $6.55. Self serve is at the north end of the ramp for $5.39.

One of the KAPA controllers is on VAF; maybe he will chime in and correct my errors.

Jim Berry
RV-10

Last edited:
If you mean Fort Collins-Loveland Municipal KFNL, then here are some comments:

Some pilots have taken to shortening "Fort Collins Loveland Traffic" to "Fort Love Traffic" so if you hear radio calls of "Fort Love", "Fort Collins", "Loveland", they are all "Fort Collins-Loveland" KFNL. CTAF 122.7 AWOS 135.075

KFNL is a non-towered airport normally; however this summer they will be basing the slurry bombers here as there is construction work on going at Metro (KBJC). So if there is a nearby fire going on, the airport may be temporarily class D with a temporary tower set up.

Be sure to check NOTAMs and TFRs.

Main runway is 33/15 with usually some practice ILS going on with 33. 33 is typically used until wind conditions greater than 4-5 knots dictate otherwise.

Cross wind is 6/24 but is short and also used as taxiway to/from the 'thru the fence' hangars.

100LL and jet A available but not the least expensive. Least expensive usually Longmont (KLMO) or Platte Valley (19V).

Lots of canadian geese around.

Heavy helicopter training at 500' AGL and reverse patterns, usually taxiway A.

Departing KFNL, head to Longmont KLMO, then south. This will put you in position to use the VFR corridor mentioned earlier. Be sure to be on correct altitude for South as this corridor is bi-directional.

bc

Last edited:
Back