What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Flap top skin question

amaris

Well Known Member
I'm starting the assembly of the flaps and notice this gap where the top skin isn't tight with the rib. Anyone else? Does this go away as the final rivets pull the skin down tight? Seems like something is wrong. Both L & R have the same.

Thanks!
Allen

IMG_4314.jpg

Take a look at drawing 14A and you'll see that the skin should lay flat in that area.

Check that the trailing edge is straight V-shape. Many year ago Van's had a run of flap skins that were not bent correctly after the pre-punch. (I had two of them). The incorrect bend caused a slight ski jump look to the trailing edge.

I don't know if it is even possible due to skin hole spacing, but is it possible you have the L and R spars reversed? (and upside down).

Usually, if something is that far off, you have made a mistake.

I sent it to Van's to see. After double, triple checking, all parts were fine. Van's said to check the spar/rib line and make sure it was straight. The skin just had a little too much curl to it and was too strong for the clecos to hold it. The rivets pulled it tight and all is fine.

Back