What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Hangar Cost Estimation FL

LAMPSguy

Well Known Member
I might be nearing a point where it would make sense (to me) to build a hangar with an apartment for my permanent residence. Single again and not needing much, I think it would work well for me.

I have seen a few iterations of something like a 50x75' hangar with the "back" 20 feet or so designed like a town home. Living room and kitchen downstairs with bedrooms upstairs. I have asked around (architects) to try to get ballpark figures to see if I can even afford to TRY to approach this as a possibility. But I get "hangar about $50/sqft give or take and $100-200/sqft for the residence" well that is a BIG swing.

Anyone have any better RECENT figures? Better yet, anyone in NE Florida who can/would want to help me work through this if I can move forward?

Thanks

hangar / home

I just had a hangar home built this year at 5c1 about 20 mi nw of San Antonio. I don't know how the price will relate to FL but call me at 281 210 6582 and I can tell ya what it all cost me.

I'm guessing that you need to stay close to Pensacola. But if not, I have a friend with a hangar/home for sale at Leeward Air Park, near Ocala.

Nice place, not too large. Can get details for you if you like. Just send me a PM.

Costs...

A 40x50 slab 4 inches thick cost me about 7300. I insulated below the slab, put down wire and pex tubing so I could heat it. That was another 1200 including the water heater and valves. I sealed the floor for another 700 or so to eliminate the concrete dust. Water was about 400.00. The "pole barn" and erection was probably about 17,000. The land was about 12k. Other stuff that was used to make it liveable was about 5k for lights, electrical, garage door etc. The door was 47' x12'and about 6k. I'd probably go with something electric next time if I could afford it. It's real easy to blow past 50k. Make sure you coordinate all your permits ahead of time. Putting in a bathroom was a lot more expensive than I thought. I did a lot of work myself and saved a ton of money. Build it right the first time, put in heated floors if at all possible. Pre-think it for as long as you can stand it. You can never have enough plug ins. I've got 4 every 10 feet! Put in the biggest electrical box you can. Don't forget the 220 for the hot tub (I mean welder). 60k for 2,000 sq foot ready to go. (This only includes a bathroom) It could have a super nice apt in it for 80k for 2000 sq foot.
Best,
Brian

Last edited:
Check your local codes first.

Sometimes hangars and homes don't mix too well if the hangar is over 2,000 sq. ft.

I've been dreaming on low cost bachelor style hangar living for years.

Recently I heard the idea of storage containers stacked with steel to span them to make the sides of a hangar. Interesting idea, makes pre built rooms immediately. I have done no research on the costs involved yet. Steel is not inexpensive, and I have absolutely no idea what a container costs.

I agree on pre-plumbing the floor. Can't add it later if you decide you want it. Also, a buddy used a tankless water heater for his floor. Everyone said you HAD to have a tank, but his setup has worked well for him. Tankless are significantly more efficient than tanks. I would think that would pay for itself quickly when using it for heat. I also wonder if a solar water heater could be used with a heated floor.

Just some thoughts.
Mark

Last edited:
Basic metal building costs are very competitive and you should find a narrow range of estimates. The things I learned when I built my hangar were to go with experience, you'll get a tighter fit on everything. You can save up to 50% on the concrete floor if you can find a concrete guy that will help you pour/finish it on an hourly wage basis. Then get a bunch of your best friends to help with the truck and move the concrete around. That way you're basically paying for the cost of the concrete. In my area, NE Missouri, there were also quite a few Amish builders. They were the most competitive on price and had the most experience. They are difficult to find/track down. I concur on the heated floor. PEX is inexpensive and you should definitely put it in. I've done one of my homes with radiant heat and recently built a 30x50 shop behind my house with radiant heat. My total cost for heat in the shop was a little over $1K. I power it with a natural gas hot water heater and can work out there all winter with a tee shirt on. I've used a company in Washington state for help with all my radiant design questions and supplies, and can point you in the right direction -- just send me a note.

Jerry

[QUOTE= But I get "hangar about $50/sqft give or take and $100-200/sqft for the residence" well that is a BIG swing.

a hanger is 4 walls and a roof. not a lot of specialized labor. living quarters: finished and painted walls, doors, extensive electrical and plumbing, well, septic. thats why its such a BIG swing.

Big Swing

I consider the difference between a house and a hanger obvious, and also the cost difference.

What I was referring to as a big swing is 100-200/sf...that could cover most of the country cost wise...2000sf=$200,000-$400,000 BIG swing.

Back