What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Getting back to building!

llavalle

Well Known Member
So some of the older folks here might remember me. I was building a -9A back in what.. humm 2008-2009. Had a webcam link in my signature which was awesome in 2008 :D

Went to 'Osh in 2009 and met some of the folks here! At the Van's dinner, our host here, DR, recognized me by saying "hey, you're that French Canadian guy from Qu?bec, right?"

So anyway, after 265hours and 3642 rivets (yup, counted them), life had other plans for me and I paused the building of the -9A. ~2 years later, was offered a very good price on it so I decided to sell it. Emp was complete and inspected by MD-RA (specific to Canada stuff). One wing was mostly complete, the other one I was working on.

Fast forward to Sept 2018 where I needed a checkride to rent and the instructor I'm assigned tells me he's building an -8. He offers a visit to his shop saying he wasn't responsible for any order / cost incurred by the visit.. Boy he was right.

Since the -9A, I've moved, have a new job, more disposable income so I figured "let's do a -10" but then I came to my senses and told myself a -14 would be plenty. Then learned about the new iS version of the -12. Started lurking around a bit and decided this would probably be it. I mostly do the $100 hamburger thing and the fuel consomption + MOGAS sold it.

Wanted to sit in one to make sure the cabin wasn't too cramped (I'm not a small guy) and someone here, "piperpilot" offered to come and see his kit. Drove 6.5h+1.5h of charging (I drive an EV) then back to visit his place 2 days ago and I emailed the order form yesterday night.

Thanks to Piperpilot for the visit.. it took me just that to go over the edge and decide to build again.

xBbsegT.png

You'll enjoy it. I've had a ride in a -12 and saw one under construction. It looks like a faster project than some and it's a wonderful-flying airplane.

Dave
RV-3B building the fuselage
(I decided I wanted a harder project, hah!)

I'm looking at my first ride in a 2015 build RV-12 tomorrow morning for a $100 breakfast. If I fit, it's onwards to get my Sport Pilot license. 6'5" and 250#

:D Congrats Phil!

It was great to meet you and your wife and I am glad the visit helped you ?take the plunge? and order a new kit!

It sure is great having this forum to get advice and meet new people.

Best,

Welcome back to building, Phillippe. It's a bug that keeps biting, so you might as well just give into it and build on!

If you need inspiration during your build, drop over to EAA 245 just west of Ottawa - lots of RV'ers around the chapter, and a few oddballs like me who decided to build something else. Sunday morning finds the chapter abuzz with activity on our CH750 Cruzer project. Stop in and say hello!

Thanks guys for the warm welcome. Now I need to get the website back online and start prepping the build log. Might even start doing Youtube videos now.. who knows.

I'm looking at my first ride in a 2015 build RV-12 tomorrow morning for a $100 breakfast. If I fit, it's onwards to get my Sport Pilot license. 6'5" and 250#

At 6'5" you might have to remove some of the seat padding to gain some height. I'm 5'11", 230# - check the top of my head ;) (I need to start my plane lightening efforts.. aka, losing weight)

Welcome back Philippe!!!! Outstanding news!!!!

Thank you sir, happy to be back!

:D Congrats Phil!

It was great to meet you and your wife and I am glad the visit helped you ?take the plunge? and order a new kit!

It sure is great having this forum to get advice and meet new people.

Best,

Thank you again for the visit - make sure you fly East when you're done, I want to see that bird ;)

Welcome back!

Thanks Vlad! btw, do I still owe you money for the torque wrenches that I bought from you in what.. 2008? I recall we had some troubles with CAD/USD cheques :D:D:D:D And next time you fly North, give me a shout, we can meet in Lachute (CSE4) so you don't have to pay landing fees at CYMX - pretty sure you don't need the 12,000 feet runway anyway :D

Welcome back to building, Phillippe. It's a bug that keeps biting, so you might as well just give into it and build on!

If you need inspiration during your build, drop over to EAA 245 just west of Ottawa - lots of RV'ers around the chapter, and a few oddballs like me who decided to build something else. Sunday morning finds the chapter abuzz with activity on our CH750 Cruzer project. Stop in and say hello!

I'll be sure to drop by. I know I already told you I would do so but Q4 has been crazy job-wise so I didn't get the chance. The CH750 Cruzer was #1 on my list until Van's came out with the iS version of the -12. To be fair, I'm still not sure I made the right choice with the -12iS :D. A nice CH750 on floats to get to my cottage would have been nice

The 12 kit is so superior to the 9 or 7 kits. (I know having build a 9,7 and a 12). Everything is fully engineered and detailed for you and all the parts fit. Almost no fabrication. Pulling rivets with a pneumatic puller is actually fun. You will be amazed at how fast they go together. Canopy is easy and all the fiberglass is even scribed for initial cuts. You can install avionics in a day and the engine and firewall forward in a weekend. Downside is it is a LSA being lighter, slower and with less capacity than the other RVs but it is probably the most fun to fly LSA out there. Motivated you can finish one in about a year and 1000 hours of fun.

I don't recall being this excited by a phone call : Van's just called to get the authorization to charge the credit card & finish crating. The emp kit should be shipped this week or next week!

I don't recall being this excited by a phone call : Van's just called to get the authorization to charge the credit card & finish crating. The emp kit should be shipped this week or next week!

RV2002 is going to be your new best friend, along with the 1000 other RV-12 builders and newer 12IS builders. Congrats on taking the plunge.

At 6'5" and 250 #, I fit just fine for the average 1 to 2 hour flight. Yes, thinner seat foam with the wedge foam removed, and less depth to the foam on the back, too. Did have to snug up the 5 point belts quite a bit the first time I got in. Pilot in Charge says that with my payload in place, he doesn't have to maintain right stick anymore to keep the left wing from feeling heavy, plane now flies neutral. I guess that makes me welcome to ride along! :D :eek:

Back