What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Basic Med results w/ docs

?f you went to a PCP or AME for BasicMed, what was their answer?

• AME said "No problem, where do I sign?"

Votes: 35 17.9%
  • AME said "Absolutely not (for whatever reason)".

Votes: 12 6.2%
  • PCP said "You bet! Where do I sign?"

Votes: 114 58.5%
  • PCP said "Nope. No way."

Votes: 15 7.7%
  • PCP said yes, but you need to go get these other tests run...

Votes: 7 3.6%
  • PCP said "I dunno, let me look into it and get back with you...

Votes: 12 6.2%

• Total voters

RV7A Flyer

Well Known Member
Patron
Let's see where we are and how this progresses...I think I've got the most likely options listed, but let me know if I missed something (*without* making it into some complex poll with a gajillion options, please :) ).

PCP, but wanted a separate eye test.
I believe she would opt not to require it now as she betters understands the process. I was her 2nd BasicMed this week.
The exam was no charge as it qualified as my annual wellness exam.

Last edited:
What if one has two situations, but can only vote once? My AME said no way, but I found a doc that says he will do it.

Tomorrow at 1:15 we'll see if he means it!!

I always schedule my annual eye exam before my annual physical. This time I asked my eye doctor for a report of the exam. I took that report to my doctor and he was fine with it.

Got the form signed filled out the info for the online certificate and I'm good to go.

My insurance also covers the annual physical so that was a plus.

These are 2 separate issues. Unless you can vote multiple times, you need to separate the AME questions from the PCP questions into two different polls. Hopefully someone will fix this before too many people respond because it would be interesting, maybe even helpful to have good poll data.

These are 2 separate issues. Unless you can vote multiple times, you need to separate the AME questions from the PCP questions into two different polls. Hopefully someone will fix this before too many people respond because it would be interesting, maybe even helpful to have good poll data.

Yeah, I was trying to keep it from becoming too complicated...with too many paths that can change depending on the answer. It'd be easy to start building up a tree (if you saw your PCP, and they declined, did you then go to an AME? Or to another PCP? Did they decline? etc.)

Was really just looking for quick and dirty answers based on the initial attempt to get a doc to sign it.

I did my routine checkup with my PCP this week, and figured I would bring her the paperwork to look over. I still have a valid 3rd class medical, good until 2018, and I will still be under 40 when it comes up for renewal, but I wanted to see if this Basic Med was worth the trouble.

She looked it over and said that she didn't feel comfortable signing the form, especially without having her malpractice insurance look it over first. She was afraid it would put the liability of my fitness for flight on her or her office in some way, and did not want to do it unless her malpractice and business insurance would cover any liabilities from her signing.

I didn't push the issue, and told her we can circle back to it in a few years.

For me, BasicMed is the biggest let down in Aviation in a long time. The AOPA really rolled over on it and its pretty useless. You still have to have had a 3rd class medical at some point (sucks for new students), and you have to rely on your PCP being OK with signing it. And you have to do this every 2 years.

If you are under 40, a 3rd class medical is way less trouble it seems.

"You still have to have had a 3rd class medical at some point (sucks for new students), and you have to rely on your PCP being OK with signing it. And you have to do this every 2 years.

If you are under 40, a 3rd class medical is way less trouble it seems."

No, the only thing you have to do every 2 years is the online quiz. The physical exam is every 4 years and that is a huge plus for me.

For me, BasicMed is the biggest let down in Aviation in a long time. The AOPA really rolled over on it and its pretty useless.

There will always be those who don't like BasicMed and the benefits it brings to the majority of Class III pilots. If all medical requirements had been eliminated there would be some who would be hollering about the lack of oversight of the FAA... ;)

The "Drivers License Medical" just ain't gonna happen, never was gonna happen, and we might as well learn how to best use what we have. If somebody insists on flying with just a drivers license, there is always Sport Pilot.

Last edited:
If you are under 40, a 3rd class medical is way less trouble it seems.

That may be true, but there are a lot of us over 40. I believe when you get older you will feel differently about it, especially if you have to go through the hassle of renewing a special issuance every year.

Last edited:
BasicMed

My PCP said NO.

Called my AME of 25 years, NO.

AOPA contacted. "Look for another, AME or doctor".

FAA covers liability for AME's for 1st, 2nd and 3rd class flight physicals but not for BasicMed. Therein lies the problem. Problems should have been anticipated.

Thanks Flyer for organizing this.
Ive been real interested in the PCP reactions.
These results are a encouraging.
Informal survey of 'breakfast flyers' in Sacramento shows it about 50/50 with the local PCP's.
May have something to do with liability climate in CA.

PCP said No Problem...

My PCP read the document, conducted the exam and signed the document.
No problem.

My PCP had no problem doing the exam. Second one he'd done this week.

For close vision, read the first paragraph of a magazine article held about 5 in from my nose, a standard eye chart for distance--just like the AME for my last class 3.

He didn't understand what critical aeronautical system was anus controlled, but confirmed I had one. What a relief.:rolleyes:

Had mine this morning with my PCP - easy peasy. And I voted.

Worth noting is the checklist simply confirms said item was "Examined", not necessarily held to any standard. And then discussed with the applicant.

The doctor is just certifying that the items were examined and discussed, and that in their opinion, they found nothing that "...could interfere with the individual's ability to safely operate an aircraft." I think its the subjectivity of their opinion that helps isolate them at least a bit from legal action.

About to take the online course.

For me, the benefits are two-fold:

1) Opportunities may present themselves for me to fly non-LSA aircraft. Friends with a Mooney and Cirrus for example. As a commercial pilot and flight instructor I'm now good to go in a lot more choices than before, sans medical.

2) The Light Sport restrictions - Day VFR only, under 10,000', visual contact with the ground, increased VFR minimums - make sense for Light Sport pilots. For Private, Commercial and ATP pilots operating without a medical, those restrictions made a lot less sense. I have no immediate plans to fly an night or IFR, its nice to have the option again.

Overall, I'm very pleased.

Last edited:
Have made eleven contacts to date. Four AMEs are no, seven physicians no even though one did schedule me and then called to cancel on day of physical. I visited three docs in a box and found them staffed by Nurse practitioners and Physician asst. but no Doctors on site. I have a physical with my PCP next week, hopefully I will be pleasantly surprised. Basic med is the best way for me, the alternative would be another 3k for another SI good for one year. Not ready to give up yet!:)

Have made eleven contacts to date. Four AMEs are no, seven physicians no even though one did schedule me and then called to cancel on day of physical. I visited three docs in a box and found them staffed by Nurse practitioners and Physician asst. but no Doctors on site. I have a physical with my PCP next week, hopefully I will be pleasantly surprised. Basic med is the best way for me, the alternative would be another 3k for another SI good for one year. Not ready to give up yet!:)

Wow...the poll should have allowed multiple entries. Your data alone would have *doubled* both the AMEs and PCPs refusing to do a BasicMed.

Successfully completed my basic med today.:):)

My PCP said no problem when I was in for my physical earlier this year. Unfortunately it would probably be MORE expensive for me to revisit my PCP in lieu of a AME, freggn' high deductible health plan...

Since I missed the opportunity at my annual physical, I'm just going to go with my AME for a 3rd class. No difficulty in getting a medical for me so why bother with a more restrictive version?

It's interesting to see how much backlash there's been about all this considering you can still do it the old way if you want...

Rumor has it that "doc-in-a-box" places that advertise DOT physicals are more likely to conduct a BasicMed exam. If you take this route, don't forget to call ahead and make sure that an actual physician is on duty.

I visited two such places. The first said it would be no problem when I called, but backed out when they saw the paperwork. The second was a success. I even learned that the doctor had always wanted to be a pilot, and we had a nice conversation about how to get started.

David

What if one has two situations, but can only vote once? My AME said no way, but I found a doc that says he will do it.

Tomorrow at 1:15 we'll see if he means it!!

I have to believe that it will be easier to find a cooperative doctor than it was to find a cooperative FAA.

List of MD's Willing to Sign Off on Basic Med Physical

Went to my AME recently for 3rd class physical. Passed. Asked AME if he would be willing to conduct and sign off on Basic Med Physical and he said "no problem" but would have to complete another physical just to stay within FAA guidelines. I have no issue with this. Will probably go back to do basic med physical soon just to lock in the 4 year window instead of the 2 years for the third class based on my age.

Does anyone know if there is a list being compiled of MD's willing to do basic med physicals? That sure would be helpful and I think would drive a lot of business to the MD's willing to do so if that info were published. I would like to see EAA or AOPA publish such a list by state.

Regards,

So my PCP did, eventually, sign off on the paperwork, so I did the on-line thing and am good to go.

I hope that most people end up being able to use their PCP, since an annual exam is covered by insurance, and they know you better than some random doc...that *was* supposed to be one of the selling points of this, after all. :)

Insurance

RV9otter, I thought the same as you about just getting the BasicMed even though there is still time left on third class but don't know how some insurance will handle the new reg. And the CFI/PIC problem too.
John

I'm legal again

My 3rd class expired in April. I tried the local health department and they said no. I went to my family doc today for a physical. It was very easy and Social Security paid for it as a normal physical. I took in a copy of last months visit to the eye doctor and had a blood draw done last week which I do every year for high cholesterol. I think that's the way this is supposed to work. Now I just have to take the online course.

Got my basic med exam completed by a local AME in my area. I called around trying to find someone that had done at least a few basic med exams. I was #4 for this guy. At first he was concerned about the fact that I was coming to him with a SI due to heart condition. He made a phone call and decided it would be OK. Done deal, took the AOPA online test last night. Good for 4 more years!

FWIW; AOPA says the Bahamas will accept BasicMed: https://www.aopa.org/news-and-media/all-news/2017/may/18/bahamas-welcomes-basicmed-pilots

"The Bahamas Civil Aviation Authority announced that pilots can fly under the new FAA medical certification known as BasicMed. This announcement makes the Bahamas the first international destination to accept BasicMed for pilots."

Now let's see if the US and Canada will agree that US BasicMed and the Canadian "4th Class" medical are equivalents.

:cool:

Last edited:
Basic Med

I sent my regular doctor a letter explaining the program. I had my physical on May 5 and am back in business after loosing 14 months of flying, while being physically fit the whole time. Yahoo!

Frank Huber
building an RV-7A

My docs group was purchased by a major hospital group and they said no way! Liability not worth the few dollars. Scheduled with my AME for a renewal of my 3rd class. BTW, AME also said no.

Went to my AME recently for 3rd class physical. Passed. Asked AME if he would be willing to conduct and sign off on Basic Med Physical and he said "no problem" but would have to complete another physical just to stay within FAA guidelines. I have no issue with this. Will probably go back to do basic med physical soon just to lock in the 4 year window instead of the 2 years for the third class based on my age.

Does anyone know if there is a list being compiled of MD's willing to do basic med physicals? That sure would be helpful and I think would drive a lot of business to the MD's willing to do so if that info were published. I would like to see EAA or AOPA publish such a list by state.

Regards,

Old 05-10-2017, 01:40 PM

Exclamation Here's an Atlanta area Dr for Basic Med
If any of you guys or gals in the greater Atlanta area are having trouble getting Basic Med from a Doc, Here's one who's very accommodating.

Dr. Kenneth Rice
Prime Urgent Care
2021 Market Place Blvd.
Cumming, GA 30041
770 292 9984

He seems very happy about doing more Basic Meds.

(A couple of fixes---It should be PrimeCare Urgent Care:
The phone is off by one number---should be 770 292 9982
Website is www.myprimecare.com
Last edited by donaziza : 05-11-2017 at 08:50 PM. Reason: Oops-gave Fax # by accident. His Phone # is 770 292 9982

Second try

I went to my PCP first, he wanted me to get a documented eye test and get a hearing test. So I went to one of the new ConvenientMD offices here in NH. After $100 and some explaining of what it was all about, the doc read some some online stuff from AOPA and the exam took 10 minutes.

Be careful how much data you take to explain it to you doc. I gave AOPA's physician education info package to my PCP (first doc) and got nowhere, so I only took the cover/instruction sheets of the application form to the second doc and it was much easier.

Eye test

I just took the form to my PCP. He would like to have had an eye doctor's report, but I haven't seen one in years. He had his nurse give me an eye chart test and signed off on the form. Pretty good of him in my opinion. I think it helped that I have a current Class III indicating that within the past two years I had passed the eye exam for that medical. I'll see an eye doctor before the next Basic Med exam for my own benefit and for my PCP's peace of mind. He's been looking after my health for a long time, and I try to follow his advice. John

Last edited:
BasicMed "Easy-Peasy"

I just returned from my PCP's office. He had never even heard of a BasicMed exam before I showed up this morning. After showing him a printout of the AOPA information for physicians and my most recent report from my optometrist, we discussed the BasicMed information. He asked me some medical questions, and then examined me per the checklist. He said this exam is easier than a lot of other examinations he does.

It took a total of 30 minutes max in his office, and it was a most pleasant experience.

FYI, I have been special issuance since 2010 due to prosthetic mitral valve surgery in 2009. Nothing has changed in my health in the last few years, including medications, so he was totally comfortable with signing off on the BasicMed. Also, my cardiologist has said the annual requirements from the FAA for my prosthetic valve (EEG, Echo, and his evaluation) are what he does anyway. So, I have been having to jump through hoops including sending the Echo DVD to OKC every year so they can bless it with their perusal. Some years, I have had to be without a medical certificate for a month or more waiting on their approval.

Now I have to complete the BasicMed online course and I'll be good to go.

Of course, until June 30th, I will have both a BasicMed and a Class III Special Issuance to fly with.

Life is good!

P.S. Update...I completed the course and online exam and am now in the FAA BasicMed database. Whoo-Hoo!

Last edited:
Success

Saw my PCP for a physical and he signed off on my basic med form no problem. In fact, I think he was a little excited by the idea that he could play this new role.

I have to admit I was skeptical about this - I didn't think a PCP would be willing to take on the 'liability', especially since he hadn't heard about it.

One thing that groups like AOPA could do is to send out notices to PCP and the like, informing them that pilots may be coming to their offices for flight physicals, and that it's OK to perform them.

Went to my PCP and she looked all through it for a while and said yes she would sign it, but she wanted a separate office visit and wanted to charge me $200 for it, with the local AME down the road giving a 3rd class for $150.

I suppose if I only have to do it every 4 years with the physicians signoff that's still worth it though.

Did not ask my PCP, but my AME said they had discussed it and was not going to do it. My AME said it was not worth the extra insurance costs as he only does 20% 3rd class anyway. Not good for his business model. Luckily, my health is still "in range" so I just got the 3rd class and done in one stop and two hours (travel and all). 2 yrs from now may be a different story, so I am happy to have another option and clearly it is good that others do too. What's not to like?

Last edited:
Went to my PCP and she looked all through it for a while and said yes she would sign it, but she wanted a separate office visit and wanted to charge me $200 for it, with the local AME down the road giving a 3rd class for $150.

I suppose if I only have to do it every 4 years with the physicians signoff that's still worth it though.

My PCP didn't charge me any more than he would for an annual physical which is covered by my insurance...

I would find a new PCP.

I think it's every 2 years, no???

My PCP didn't charge me any more than he would for an annual physical which is covered by my insurance...
I would find a new PCP.
I think it's every 2 years, no???

Online course is every 2 years. Physical exam is every 4 years.

Basic Med 1

Just completed my conversion from 2nd Class to Basic Med... PCP was delighted to be introduced to the flying community and was amazed to hear doctors were not willing to do the exams.
She is relatively "young" in her doctoring days and was excited to learn the process. Included it at part of my annual physical.

I must add that I have recently moved and this was my first visit with her. An interesting way to meet the new doctor and introduce someone to the aviation community.

"Most" of the time I never had an issue with an AME or my special issuance. The problem always was, that after my AME signed me off as everything being fine, a month or two later I would get a letter from some FAA bureaucrat wanting more tests that even my AME said was unnecessary. My Basic Med with my PCP was even paid for by Medicare.

Get Your Eyes Examined First

My family doctor asked about my eyes. Fortunately I brought my latest eye exam results with me. He then signed the certificate without any more hesitation. When I got home I passed the test and printed out my basic med certificate.

straightforward

Got exam in conjunction with regular physical. PCP used to be AME, but not current. This was his second BasicMed. Did whisper test and color check. Vision was read a chart line from 5 feet.

No problems.

My family doctor asked about my eyes. Fortunately I brought my latest eye exam results with me. He then signed the certificate without any more hesitation. When I got home I passed the test and printed out my basic med certificate.

Same for me. All I had to do is send him a copy of the results from my eye exam. Since I've been going to him for annual exams for almost twenty years, once he got the eye results, he just signed the form. No big deal in his eyes. Just like a DOT or sports physical.

I saw my primary care physician on Monday and completed my BasicMed. I had
taken him the AOPA's info for physicians 3 weeks prior and he said he was happy
to sign it.

Back