What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Big Plane, No Runway Lights

Capt Sandy

Well Known Member
"What were you thinking?" my friend Maria said when I told her this story. She'd asked why we didn't get a photo of what we saw at the airport that evening.
"Because it was dark," I replied.
"No, you mean dusk."
"No, I mean it was dark," I insisted. "It was dark."
"What? You were walking on the taxi-way in the dark? Sheesshh.." Maria slapped her forehead with her hand...

http://APlaneHeBuilt.tumblr.com

i-JjccWJ9-S.jpg

Reminds me of my favorite safety report- Near miss, C-17 and minivan. KXNO was hosting on the eastside, away from our 3500x90' strip, a boyscout encampment.

I, a newish IP, was flying NVG training on a Sat night. We noticed a vehicle in an odd locaation on one smash and dash and asked the Lt in the tower, who had sounded like he was on the base station, not a portable, if he had gone mobile for an unannounced FOD check. Nope. Ok, time for a low pass.

We find a Chrysler minivan, now paralleling the strip, in the grass, catching air at about 50 mph. Now, that would have been uncomfortable in the airfield's hack humvee, I was expecting a Joie Chitwood CHiPs flip any moment.

It's obvious our presence is not helping the interloper's cruise night, so we relent the field to the fire crews, who find a shaken, lost den mother parked along the boundary fence. She missed the road mid field between their camping and our strip, didnt realize passing the tower and fire dept was an e-ticket ride for our night show.

Thank you for your comment. Indeed, it was an MC-130J. Since watching this landing at Belen, Roy and I have noticed NOTAMs posted at many FBO's in the area that read something like, FAA approval for NVG landings. After all my years as a 'BRAT', it still amazes me what we do with Airplanes, and the unusual breed of super-humans that fly them.
- Sandra

Wife Penny & I just got back from a visit to Belen. She grew up there and still has brothers in Clovis & Hobbs. One brother works for the railroad working between Amarillo and Belen. Overnite at Belen he stays at the rr hotel beside Penny's Diner.

Hi Dave, Did you fly in to Belen? We have been to Hobbs also. The FBO manager there was incredibly gracious in helping us find a (free) place to stay. Christian Aero. Thanks for the tip on the hotel! Perhaps we'll see you in Belen sometime.
Regards,
Sandy

Dark runway

I live on a 3000 ft public grass runway with lights. A couple of years ago four Blackhawks landed in the dark. I thought it was neet until I saw the burnt grass the next day. They came back two nights later. I activated the lights and have not seen them again. We now have Jetranger training autorotation and causing skid marks on the grass.

Back