What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Denali 4-14-2018

mbauer

Well Known Member
Denali (/dɪˈnɑːli/) is the tallest land-based mountain on Earth—with a vertical rise of about 18,000 feet (5,500 m), as well as the highest mountain peak in North America—with a summit of 20,310 feet (6,190 m) above MSL. With a topographic prominence of 20,156 feet (6,144 m) and a topographic isolation of 4,629 miles (7,450 km), Denali is the third most prominent and third most isolated peak, after Mount Everest and Aconcagua. Located in the Alaska Range in the interior of the of Alaska, Denali is the centerpiece of Denali National Park and Preserve.

Yesterday’s flight (4-14-2018) was a 385.2 mile flight to Denali. Lasting 2.9 hours.
1_Denali_4_14_18.jpg

Maximum altitude for the flight was 17,500 feet MSL. Passing through 8,500 feet I turned my oxygen tank valve on. Since this flight was above 15,000’ had to use an oxygen mask instead of cannula.

The temp was a balmy 48.2 deg F on the ground when I left. Near Denali it was –14.8 deg F. My RV-6 does not have a cabin heater. I froze! To make matters worse-removed the electric heated seat covers last weekend.

Running shoes did not keep my feet warm. In the RV’s cargo, part of my survival gear, there was a really nice pair of military style mukluks-Really Warm Mukluks, did I mention they are lined with incredibly warm felt liners?

I did place a polar fleece pull-over around my legs, a jacket was available, but like an idiot, was not wearing it, so draped it over me as best as possible. I did have my winter flying gloves for my hands. Geez-you’d think I knew better than take-off wearing running shoes and a t-shirt…..

It was warm under the canopy with the sun streaming through-have a slight sunburn on the top of my bald head to prove it!

I will be installing wing root aileron boots this summer!!!! Talk about breezy.

When I started taking pictures near the peak, lost over 1500’ before I was able to get it leveled off. Close-up it was a very beautiful sight to see. Taking photos and gawking-who wants to pay attention to the Altitude?

Oh, that’s right – lots of pointy mountains below….

Had at my disposal two cameras and a video camcorder. My main Nikon has a 18-270mm “super-zoom” lens. Did not bring my spare battery-you guessed it, in the cold the battery died quick when trying to use the auto-zoom with the Vibration Reduction turned on.

Second camera is my little pocket sized Nikon. Most of the following photos were taken with it. A total of 326-photos were snapped. It is very hard to decide which to use for this thread. Have the first nine figured out for the first post, other posting will show up as I figure which to use. There will be a lot to see!

Movies will be awhile before they are uploaded-just don’t have the internet connection to do so.

Time to show some photos:

Flying past Anchorage. This photo shows Cook Inlet beneath, Turnagin Arm to the South of Anchorage, and my oxygen hose. Approx. at 6500' MSL.
2_anc.jpg

Destination:
3_Destination_Denali_Foraker_Closer.jpg

One last look at Anchorage-Turnagin Arm to the South, most commercial flights from Seattle descend down this arm to land in Anchorage. The water that snakes around to the North of Anchorage is called Knik Arm, it is considered the Northern most point of the Pacific ocean.
4_Anc_Cook_Turn_Knik_Arms.jpg

Here are the Tordrillo Mountains, Mt Spur volcano at the South end. Did a photo trip/thread of these mountains earlier here at VansAirForce:
5_Mt_Spur_Tordrillo_Mtns.jpg

These clouds (base) are at 8500', notice they are well below my 12,000 and still climbing level?:
6_Clouds_at_8500_039.jpg

Taking a break during my climb-level at 16,500' MSL destination in the distance:
7_alt_16500_039.jpg

Getting closer, notice how soft and fluffy the clouds look?
8_Getting_Closer.jpg

What the clouds are hiding, rough terrain, this is the Kahiltna Glacier, longest one of Denali, you can see part of this in the previous photo-notice the small mountain to the left of the ice river-you can see it in this photo as well:
9_Kahiltna_Glacier.jpg

More to follow.

Best regards,
Mike Bauer

Last edited:
Denali Part 2

10 Between cloud layers. Kahiltna Glacier again, with Mt Foraker in the distance. This is looking West at the Alaska Range.
10_Kahiltna_G_Foraker.jpg

11 Driving to Fairbanks from Anchorage, the Parks Highway is one way to drive if you don?t use the Richardson Hwy. The Parks Hwy is directly below the wing-you can see a section of it. To the right you can see another dark valley, this is the Denali Hwy.

The Denali Hwy is 135-mile long gravel road. It ties the Richardson Hwy to the Parks. Goes from Paxton, AK to Cantwell, AK. Years past my daughter and I used to camp along it. We always travelled it with our mountain bikes on a car rack. Great bike rides happened at different locations! Lots of wildlife viewing and in early August the best blue berries you?ve ever eaten!
11_Parks_and_Denali_Hwys.jpg

12 Alaska Range looking to the East of Denali (Denali is far left ridge in photo).
12_East_Ak_Range.jpg

13-14-15 These next 3-photos are a series. Heading slightly Northeast, these are taken looking back to the North and ending up to the West. East side of Denali, MT Foraker to the west.
13_Denali_1.jpg

14_Denali_2.jpg

15_Denali_3.jpg

16 Now a slight turn to the North. Denali is much closer now. Plenty of rough terrain below!
16_North_hdg_Denali.jpg

17 Steam gauge photo-actually adding more throttle getting ready to climb to 17,500.
17_Steam_Panel_photo_Add_thrttl.jpg

18 Between layers, Denali to the right, Mt Foraker to the left. Oh, and soft looking clouds to the left?.
18_Layers_Denali.jpg

19 Another look at some Clouds, Rocks, Snow and Glaciers
19_More_Clouds_Rocks_Snow.jpg

More to follow.

Best regards,
Mike Bauer

Denali Part 3

Thank you for checking this thread out! More to follow.

20 Turned to the North East. Plan is to head East a little with a 180 deg turn back to the West and fly the South face of Denali. At 17?500 MSL, started to hear a couple of the voices in my head. Feet were complaining about being cold. Notice the soft clouds aren?t doing such a great job of hiding the rugged terrafirma?
20_Hdg_NEast_AK_Rang.jpg

21 Turning to the North, getting ready to head West.
21_Turn_to_N.jpg

22 Heading North, a look at the East side of Denali and just in front of wing is the Ruth Glacier.
22_Hdg_N_Denali_Ruth_G.jpg

23 thru 29 Ruth Glacier with Denali and Mt Foraker providing the backdrop. Just a few photos showing different angles while heading North.
23_Ruth_G.jpg

24_Ruth_G.jpg

25_Ruth_G.jpg

26_Ruth_G.jpg

27_Ruth_G.jpg

28_Ruth_G.jpg

29_Ruth_G.jpg

The voices are starting to get louder?.

To share what is being said, ?Hey idiot, its cold down here?. The left foot is now talking to the right, ?You got any circulation?? The right replies, ?Shutup! He's not listening! Its cold over here too.?

More to follow.

Best regards,
Mike Bauer

Denali Part 4

30 Rivers of Ice. Notice that at peak of Denali you can see some tell-tale rotor clouds blowing my way. Yep, got a little bumpy. Not to serious though. Heading North towards the peak.
30_River_of_Ice_Denali.jpg

31 Looking West. Lots of smooth looking clouds. Aimed straight at Denali now.
31_More_smooth_clouds_look_W.jpg

32 Heading slightly Northwest. Great view!
32_Hdg_NW.jpg

33 Looking South, towards warmth and home. Feet picked up on the thought of home.
33_look_South.jpg

34 Quick view of the North plenty of low clouds that way.
34_Quic_look_North.jpg

35 As in the last photo, heading West, right wing is pointing North.
35_Hdg_W.jpg

36 Denali and Mt Foraker views
36_Denali_Foraker.jpg

37 My favorite of this trip. Slight zoom added, the Great One! Notice can clearly see the snow blowing my way at the top of the peaks. This photo also leaves no doubt that the South Peak is higher than the North peak. Lost some altitude: down to 16,500 now. Whole trip was worth this view!!
37_Denali_w_slight_zoom.jpg

38 Zoom towards the lower part of Denali
38_D_bott_zoom.jpg

39 Zoom of Mt Foraker while looking to the West.
39_Zoom_of_Foraker_lk_W.jpg

The feet are fairly screaming by this time. Overheard, the left say to the right, ? Wonder if he knows what frostbite is??, the right answered, ?Don?t worry, Frostnip happens first!?.

Thanks for checking the thread out to this point. More to follow.

Best regards,
Mike Bauer

Not Sure

Nice photos.
Comment: Aren?t cannulas approved to 18,000??

Not sure, but having a mask as well as a cannula, decided to use it for this flight. Thinking it is needed at 15,000 ft, just not sure.

Spent some time in an altitude chamber at Ft Rucker. Decided at that time to respect anything to do with altitude!

Thanks for checking this thread out!

Best regards,
Mike

Denali Part 5

For this next set of photos, decided to see what it looked like without the zoom! Occasional bump, but few and far between-soft bumps at that. Of course the feet had something to say, it wasn?t good!

40 Lets get closer! Nothing like looking at 12 o?clock at the highest peak on the North American continent. Looks kind?a small from this view at 16,000? MSL
40_16000ft_D_at_12_ocloc.jpg

41 Geez, Mt Foraker doesn?t look so big either!
41_Foraker_too.jpg

42 thru 45 How about some more close-ups? East first then looking West through this series:
42_East_Side_D.jpg

43_Denali.jpg

44_Mt_Foraker.jpg

45_Mt_Foraker_lk_W.jpg

46 Denali Again!
46_Denali_Lk_N.jpg

47-49 Starting to turn towards the South, still taking photos.
47_Denali_Mt_Foraker.jpg

48_Denali_left_turn.jpg

49_Mt_Foraker.jpg

This trip is almost ready to head back, batteries are getting low. Those little voices are beginning to multiply, stomach is hungry, bladder is starting to be heard as well.

Engine is running well, however; oil temp has fallen to 110 deg F, cylinder temp is around 300 deg at this time as well. Outside temp is showing -14, canopy is starting to frost up. Just might be time to take some last photos and head home.

A few more photos in the next post!

Best regards,
Mike

Denali Part 6 Final Photos

8-photos left.

50 Denali with plenty of sun.
50_Denali.jpg

51 Denali and Mt Foraker
51_Denali_and_Mt_Foraker.jpg

52 Nice view looking North through the saddle between Denali and Mt Foraker-Lots of rocks below
52_Plenty_of_Rocks.jpg

53 Mt Foraker at 12:30
53_Mt_Foraker_at_12_30.jpg

54 Denali South Peak hiding the North Peak
54_Denali_South_Peak.jpg

55 Left turn to the South. Time to heed the voices. Mt Foraker
55_Time_to_Head_Home_Mt_Foraker.jpg

56 One last look at Mt Foraker this trip:
56_Last_lk_Mt_Foraker.jpg

57 Good bye Denali. I?ll be back. Still need to photo the North Side!
57_Good_Bye_Denali.jpg

The ride home was cold. With such low oil temp, can?t really pull the throttle and dive for lower altitudes and warmer temps. Setup a shallow decent using 2300-rpm.

At 14,500? MSL found a very favorable tailwind. Indicating 130 mph, GPS showed 178-182 mph. Decided to level off and use the extra speed to get home fast. Oil temp was staying constant at 110 deg F indicated.

Approx. 20-miles North of Cook Inlet, knew it was time to start descending again. Setup a 500 fpm descent, keeping the engine below redline was a must, didn?t want to cool the engine anymore.

At 10,000 ft outside temp was 25 deg F, this was at mid channel of Cook Inlet, just North of Nikiski, AK where I live. Kenai was showing 34-miles to go.

Oil temp was warming up, decided to take the long way back and flew to the East of Kenai, arriving at Mackey Lakes level at 2500? MSL. Checking winds, found that the landing would be with an 80-degree x-wind at 9kts. Oh Joy!

Just as I was turning final, the tower asked me to take either the D or E Taxiway, as a Cessna Caravan was simulating an emergency landing. Great, now nervous about the x-wind, have to keep it short. Made the D taxiway after what can only be described as an arrival! Note to self, be sure to check the landing gear when refueling.

Topped the tanks before leaving on this flight, got a few photos of a DC4 that hauls fuel to the outlying villages.

After landing, and taxing back to the fuel pump, had to add another 18.5 gallons for this flight. Got to parking just in time to see the DC4 make its return landing.

Here is a photo of the DC4 taken just before take-off and heading North to Denali.
Dc4_rv6_9.jpg

Thanks for checking this thread out!

Best regards,
Mike Bauer

Wow, it looks so different from the southeast than it does from the northwest.

Can you explain the claim of tallest land-based mountain on earth? Why wouldn't Everest be?

Wow, it looks so different from the southeast than it does from the northwest.

Can you explain the claim of tallest land-based mountain on earth? Why wouldn't Everest be?

Taken from on-line: In fact, when measured base-to-peak, Denali is the tallest mountain on land anywhere in the world (Everest is only higher because its base is at a higher elevation).

The absolute tallest mountain from base to top is Mauna Kea in Hawaii, the base is under water.

Mt Everest is the tallest above Sea Level.

Best regards,
Mike

I guess the trick is defining what the "base" is.

Taken from on-line: In fact, when measured base-to-peak, Denali is the tallest mountain on land anywhere in the world (Everest is only higher because its base is at a higher elevation).

The absolute tallest mountain from base to top is Mauna Kea in Hawaii, the base is under water.

Mt Everest is the tallest above Sea Level.

Best regards,
Mike

I am currently reading "Glacier Pilot" (Bob Reeve). The photos make it become more alive. thanks,

Good to see you flying and enjoying your plane. I'm just finishing up and hope to have as much fun as you! Did you paint yours? Looks different in the pics.

Great write up!

Mike,

Wonderful write up. Reminds me of home. I lived in Fairbanks for three years while in the Air Force. One of my favorite memories was snowshoeing in Denali park in February. It was clear, and the peak was out. Really gorgeous, but your view was much better! On the way home, I watched a little Cessna following the highway north. He was obviously headed to Fairbanks as well. He was not making a lot faster ground speed then my car, must have been a stout headwind!

All the best.

Geoff

Good to see you flying and enjoying your plane. I'm just finishing up and hope to have as much fun as you! Did you paint yours? Looks different in the pics.

Washed/waxed is all.

Great to hear you're almost ready to fly! Looking forward to your first flight remarks!!

Thank you for your help last year!

Looking forward to our next meeting!

Best regards,
Mike

Mike---these pictures are unbelievable---I use to do ANC layovers with the airline but never was I able to get pictures like these---even with a VFR climb to 17,500--it looks so much different than Mont Blanc in the French Alps----thank you so much for sharing---John Fleurent RV-8

Great pics! do you monitor your blood O2 level while at altitude? good info to know to adjust your O2 flow accordingly.

Denali

Difficult to choose which photo of yours will be on the calendar next yr. On the ground, I was only able to get one photo of Denali, as normally covered w/ cloud cover...(driving S. from Talkeetna, Healey area), got lucky. 35mm Denali photo in my library blown up, 8"x10" in frame. As my cousins live up there, I'm going to copy yours w/ excellent description & send to 1-2 of them. Thank You!.

Outstanding photos! A few years ago, we did a tour through Denali and went on one of the flights over the mountain. It wasn't as clear as your photos, but it was clear enough to get photos of a mountain climbing team crossing the saddle of the mountain toward the peak. There aren't many memories I cherish as much as that trip and seeing your photos just makes me want to head back, this time in my -8. Thanks!

Forgive me for latching on to your thread, but flying in Alaska is about the most fun a pilot can have with his (or her) clothes on. I took these in March, 2014.

Flight of two heading from Talkeetna to Swiftsure Glacier
y2dbMq.jpg

After landing on Swiftsure Glacier:
hSUlGC.jpg

Denali on the flight back to Talkeetna:
lWSrsf.jpg

Here are a couple other views of Denali taken by the pilot in the white/blue plane:

Flying up Ruth Glacier
xSXbzA.jpg

Cumulo Granite:
sUUzMA.jpg

Thank You

Bret: No don't monitor-just put the mask on and cranked the O2 on. Knew it was some rough terrain, wanted to be sure the brain was functioning properly, probably had way too much excess oxygen flow.

Maverick Thank you for the comments!

Mark: Hope you can make it up again. Truly worth checking out each and every time it is open for viewing.

Snopercod: Fantastic photos, now I want to get closer....Thank you for sharing!

Best regards,
Mike

Back