What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Any Colorado 14 builds?

drainge

I'm coming out of lurker mode as I get closer and closer to pulling the trigger on a 14 build. I've spent a lot of time (since early May) reading through your build journals, looking at your panels/paint/jigs/etc, and drooling over your first flight announcements. You all are very inspiring, and I can't take it anymore without joining the club :D

Before I go it solo, from the very beginning of a project, I'd like to know if anyone is:
a) sick of their project and looking to offload it (there was a guy selling a partially completed 14 up in Ft. Collins a few months ago -- did that ever sell?);
b) looking for some help (financial and build) on their project to get it done; or,
c) wanting to start a new project with a partner

I am an aerospace engineer turned mechanical engineer turned electrical engineer turned software engineer, and my startup company (wind industry automation co) is hardware focused, so I have a lot of experience building, but zero experience building a kit plane. I live in Boulder and am willing to travel a bit, but most of my time is after work so I'd like to stay around that area. I'm looking to really dive into this in ~1mo (January is busy for me). Let me know if you've got a project or would like to start one!

Welcome

Welcome Dan
Can't help with a 14 but I can offer a support group. All Vans builders and owners in Colorado. Most in the Denver area with one exception in Mexico. Most models are in production. It's an e-mail group. One builder, my mentor, is building a 3B in Boulder.
Send me an e-mail to join. Address is in my signature below.

Edit
My apologies. Dan. Not Don.

Last edited:
Longmont rv14

I know of a 14 for sale in Longmont. Call for information.

303-772-two two zero two.

Can't help with one for sale or a partner needed but I have 75 hours on my -14A here in Grand Junction.

Bernie Hartnell is doing wiring on his -14A here also and is pretty well set up for a first flight this summer.

Bill Marvel

I am just starting my -14A build in Colorado Springs. Empennage here, slow build wings on the way and QB fuselage on order.

Carl

Colorado Builder's Group

David, Carl, Bill
See my post above. If you would like to join, send me an e-mail.
Build on
LL

Lots of building going on in CO..

..I know of at least one member in our Denver Chapter (EAA Chapter 301) who's building an RV-14. Many of us have built or are building RVs, along with many other types of projects. Joining an EAA Chapter should help you in your quest. Therefore, I highly recommend doing so. Since you're in Boulder, I'd recommend EAA Chapter 43 (Broomfield) or EAA Chapter 301 (Denver), which I am biased towards. ;) Both are great organizations.

I did pay a visit to Chapter 643 (Boulder) at Vance Brand this past week. I will stop by Chapter 43 at their next chapter meeting (though not tonight as I hear this is the date of their annual banquet). Today I'll be driving down to Centennial to check out Boom Supersonic with my alumni organization, and I hope to get an idea of what's going on down there from some of the Boom employees who fly out of the airport.

Thanks for all the suggestions -- it's very nice to meet real live folks in the community. Dunno why I didn't join sooner.

Finished 14

Finished my 14 end of December so flying off hours. As you know chapter 43 is very active and one other member has a well built partially finished kit in Longmont . Not sure if he's going to keep it if not. He's waiting to fly mine. Come to the meeting second Saturday at BJC.
Cliff

Congrats on completing your build. :D I intend to visit the chapter meeting at BJC but the timing hasn't worked out with my travel schedule -- maybe next month.

I did see the 14 kit in Longmont for sale some time ago in the classified section. I am interested in learning more about it, but haven't been able to contact the seller.

Back