What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Firewall insulation

Stockmanreef

Well Known Member
I have been reading a bit on insulation of the firewall. Has anyone done this for their 14 and if so, can you post how you did it, when you did it and pictures.

Thanks
Ken

I did this on my -14. First i ordered stainless steel (.003 x 24? x 48?) this was $33 plus shipping on ebay. Then i got fiberfrax from ACS of 1/8? thick. I cut the fiberfrax around all know holes and about 1/4? away from where the engine mount touches the firewall. The stainless at 24? is not tall enough to cover entire firewall but because my plane is a tailwheel, the engine mount has a large cross member along the bottom. With that issue and the cabin heat registers both not getting coverage, only a small horizontal strip is unprotected with the secondary layer. I installed these when i was ready to install my engine mount. Between the enginge mount/ two firewall pass thrus / and brake reservoir the sandwich of fiberfrax and stainless stays put pretty well. I did use a few stainless pop rivets to the sides of the tunnel and might do a few more on the top part depending on necessity. I then used 3m 2000 firebarrier as a caulking to seal up all edges and holes. So far ive been very happy with this slight deviation from plans as i feel is does cost or weight much and adds a margin of safety and comfort.

IMG_3846.HEIC

IMG_2830.JPG

Rob, did you run a bead of Firebarrier 2000 in the firewall flange corner before applying the fiberfrax and stainless foil?

x3srcl.jpg

345lf05.jpg

Timely reminder, Dan

... working on this step tonight.

Thanks for all the firewall insulation ideas and testing!

Now I?m curious

Rob, did you run a bead of Firebarrier 2000 in the firewall flange corner before applying the fiberfrax and stainless foil?

Ok...I?ll bite...why add the fillet?

I did my firewall using your diagram but I never thought to ask the reason for the first fillet.

and I'm embarrassed

... realized as I was about to lay the first fillet that I can't insulate the firewall until I rivet the forward top structure on - and that's not happening until I'm done installing the avionics goodies in the panel and sub-panel. About a year from now. Oops!:eek:

... realized as I was about to lay the first fillet that I can't insulate the firewall until I rivet the forward top structure on - and that's not happening until I'm done installing the avionics goodies in the panel and sub-panel. About a year from now. Oops!:eek:

I have same issue. If you look closely, you will see the edges above the engine mount are still lose. I only attachech the bottom portion at this point. Its on the to do list.

Ok...I?ll bite...why add the fillet?
I did my firewall using your diagram but I never thought to ask the reason for the first fillet.

Need a bead over the punched holes and slots in the flange corner to ensure the fiberfrax binder (the glue that holds the felt together) doesn't outgas into the cockpit when heated. The desired path for the outgas is forward, through the overlap seam, which is why it is in the center, and covered with easily melted aluminum tape.

Back