What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Smooth prime - any tips?

SgtZim

Well Known Member
I bought some Smooth Prime from AS, and the can has "new" instructions. It calls for using their brand 310 cleaner (diluted) and something called "prep wipes" that I can't find a source for. Probably not a big deal, just get the part nice and clean. The can commands you to wipe the parts with acetone first, then use 310 cleaner and "prep wipes".

Anyway, I poured the Smooth Prime on the parts and squeegeed it in. Let that dry and sanded - seems to work fine. Then I tried to spray a coat on. The can recommends spraying vs rolling on per the info on AS. I diluted it slightly with water and shot it with an Apollo HVLP with 2 mm nozzle and it was NOT good. Spit the stuff on like a textured ceiling. :confused:

I will probably try rolling on a few coats next. If I spray again I'll try diluting it a bit more and use the 1.3 mm nozzle.

follow up - I sprayed another couple of times diluting the smooth prime 5 to 1 and used the 1.3mm nozzle - worked much better.

Did not get a response from the mfg on cleaners and wipes - I just knocked the dust off with the air hose, and after the dust settled a quick pass with a tack cloth seems to work fine.

Having personally used this product in the past, be sure to give it ample time to dry before spraying subsequent coats, especially of other non-water based primers.

This is what I learned using smooth prime:
- Don?t roll or squeegee, slightly dilute and spray. You will save yourself days of sanding.
- NEVER WET SAND! Let it sit for 2-4 weeks, sand, blow off the dust and immediately prime using a good two part epoxy primer.

While it worked, there are far simpler ways to prep fiberglass. I will never use this again.

Carl

Back