What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Fuel Filler Line Transparent

DonFromTX

Well Known Member
I think I read that on the new injected 12, there is a clear section in the fuel filler tube, so you can see what is happening when filling, and I presume so that you can stop fueling before running it over. I don't have much 12 real experience, but thought that would be a great idea. Has anyone done a clear filler tube mod on their 12? Thoughts?

I sent Van's an e-mail asking if the translucent fuel filler is retrofit-able to the original solid filler neck and what's the part number. Their reply is that it is not retrofit-able and there are no parts available anyway, nothing further. Seems like it should be workable unless the tube is a different diameter. I haven 't given up, seems like a great idea. I don't like surprises, like fuel suddenly running up the filler neck.

Why not remove the existing tube, remove a chunk of the pipe and replace with clear tubing?

Well I would want it to be something rigid like clear pipe. Problem is, with all the types of plastic out there, getting something that is totally fuel proof is a problem.

Polycarbonate

I can find it in Acrylic and polycarbonate. Not sure if either is fuel proof.
Don,
According to the comparability chart at the following link polycarbonate is an excellent choice if you are using unleaded car gasoline up to 120 degrees f.

https://www.coleparmer.com/Chemical-Resistance

I have no knowledge of the flexibility or other suitability requirements so take my advice for what you paid for it.

Joe

I built a Searey and installed a clear inline fuel filter that I bought at Autozone. Never found anything in it, but in a water environment it was nice to be able to see what was going through my fuel line and make sure it wasn't water.

Back