What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Canopy attachment question

HansLab

Well Known Member
Hi,
The last bolt/screw combination on my canopy (the far aft) gets stuck behind the nylon guideblock (both sides). I did remove the threads of those bolt as per plans, but the nut still 'hooks' a bit. Closing the canopy is do-able because of the weight of the canopy, but getting it up for opening definitely alters problems.
Impossible to remove material from the guideblock because it looses its function then: it doesn't guide when material is taken.
I'm thinking of putting a solid rivet in - how did you cope?

I used a thin low-profile nylock nut (don't remember the MS number) and trimmed the screw flush with the nut. Added a drop of Locktite to the nut since there were no extra threads protruding out of nut.

I'm not sure my issue is the same as yours, but I did end up trimming some off the edge of the nylon block to get my canopy to shut without hanging up on the block.

High temp all metal lock nut

I used an all metal lock nut. Like the nuts used for high temperature applications. It has a low profile and smaller diameter. Shorten the screw and trim the nylon guide. All will be well.

Back