What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

ICOM A220 Receive Dies

jsharkey

Well Known Member
After multiple problems with my A210, and for simplicity in spite of misgivings, I swapped it for an A220. After less than a year that too is now playing up.

After a flight of an hour or so everything goes quiet without even background chatter on the comm from distant stations on the primary or dual watch frequencies. On switching the radio on then off the it receives clearly. I'm told that it still transmits.

Has anyone else experienced this problem?

This is completely different from the A210 problems that included random frequency changes and other gremlins.

Jim Sharkey
RV6

The 210 and 220 both are plagued with face-plate to tranciever to tray connection problems. They really made that box much more complicated than it should have been.

I'd re-rack it and be careful to insure the ribbon cable for the faceplate is properly connected and stowed.

If you're not familiar, you can probably find someone nearby who is.

If that doesn't fix it, pester the iComm customer support folks. I've heard that several people have gotten theirs looked at and ribbon cables replaced for a nominal fee.

.....And, Happy Birthday!

Last edited:
After a flight of an hour or so everything goes quiet without even background chatter on the comm from distant stations on the primary or dual watch frequencies. On switching the radio on then off the it receives clearly. I'm told that it still transmits.

Jim Sharkey
RV6

Hi Jim,

I had this exact problem in my A-210. I sent it in twice before it was fixed.

I have a spare ribbon cable for the 210 in my Hgr ,if you need it . It is possible to rack or unrack the 210 and or 220 without removing the ribbon cable connection and that's what i would recommend. Use blue tape and allow the face to be supported by the tape and work with care. This actually came from ICOM tech support. The ribbon cable and its connection is probably the reason for inoperability and certainly a weak link in that radio. I understand that the 220 has a different connection cable but may be just as troublesome.

Last edited:
I fly my buddy's plane (RV-7A) and it had this exact behavior yesterday on a A220 that he just installed a couple months back. Radio went quiet, although ATC later told me they could hear me while I was not hearing them. Turning off and back on restored reception.

Is there an actual fix for this problem or is it a bad unit?

After multiple problems with my A210, and for simplicity in spite of misgivings, I swapped it for an A220. After less than a year that too is now playing up.

This is completely different from the A210 problems that included random frequency changes and other gremlins.

Jim Sharkey
RV6

Unreliable

After a flight of an hour or so everything goes quiet without even background chatter on the comm from distant stations on the primary or dual watch frequencies. On switching the radio on then off the it receives clearly.

My A210 just did this 10 miles from Rippon this year, did not think I was going to get in. Finally off and back on restored operation.
Never know WHEN its going to happen and seems to be Very common.
79 hours total time.
Very disappointed because we really like the A210
Any $$$ spent here will be to REPLACE with a different brand.

~

....any more luck finding a solution?

I fly my buddy's plane (RV-7A) and it had this exact behavior yesterday on a A220 that he just installed a couple months back. Radio went quiet, although ATC later told me they could hear me while I was not hearing them. Turning off and back on restored reception.

Is there an actual fix for this problem or is it a bad unit?

Any luck in finding a solution?

I beefed up the ribbon cable connection to the front panel with a piece of Teflon anti-chafe tape. Obviously, you have to remove the "lid" in order to do this. Then, after reinstalling the "lid", you have to gently remove the faceplate in order to screw the unit into the rack. (This is really a crappy design, ICOM) IMHO, the problem is that when you reinstall the front panel, the ribbon cable wants to bunch up inside the box. I think this may loosen the connection to the front panel. The Teflon tape may help support the ribbon cable connector. All I can say is that my A-210 has been working for a year now after I had to send it in for repair. Knock on wood...

z3u8X7.jpg

I beefed up the ribbon cable connection to the front panel with a piece of Teflon anti-chafe tape. Obviously, you have to remove the "lid" in order to do this. Then, after reinstalling the "lid", you have to gently remove the faceplate in order to screw the unit into the rack. (This is really a crappy design, ICOM) IMHO, the problem is that when you reinstall the front panel, the ribbon cable wants to bunch up inside the box. I think this may loosen the connection to the front panel. The Teflon tape may help support the ribbon cable connector. All I can say is that my A-210 has been working for a year now after I had to send it in for repair. Knock on wood...

z3u8X7.jpg

Thanks for that - however one thing they did fix on the A220 was to eliminate the ribbon cable. The dropping of receive almost seems like a software glitch or an accidental "time-out". You can set your watch by it!

Icom A220 no Rx

Hi Jim, I see that this is an old post, but, did you ever get your A220 Rx repaired?
Do you know what the problem was, or what they did.
Thank you.

Back