What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

PAINT DATA POINT

chrispratt

Well Known Member
For those thinking about what brand of paint to use on their RV, I?ll give you a data point to consider.

The pictures below show my exterior paint after today?s flight through rain. Paint is 12 years old:
- water still beads
- never been waxed
- always hangared except for 10 Oshkosh visits and a few other trips.

Paint is Sherwin Williams AcryGlo. Yes, I have the usual hangar rash and paint does get thinner with age, but overall still looks good and garners compliments. I?ve been pleased with it. Hopes this helps.

Chris

2qm15px.jpg

14ad7ag.jpg

amzlts.jpg

Just started test shooting my S-W Skyscapes GA today. Usual novice issues... but looks to be a good product. Hoping my air circulation will be able to handle the output of the spray gun. Got pretty intense in the small booth this afternoon; have to pace myself.

Just started test shooting my S-W Skyscapes GA today. Usual novice issues... but looks to be a good product. Hoping my air circulation will be able to handle the output of the spray gun. Got pretty intense in the small booth this afternoon; have to pace myself.

Martin-

If you wouldn't mind, which specific products (primer, base, clear, etc.) and quantities did you order for the paint project? And where did you get them?

r/
Ivan Luke

because there is something artistic in this, random dots. or I have nothing better to do.

paint%20water_zps4kg8axbn.jpg

Last edited:
Martin-

If you wouldn't mind, which specific products (primer, base, clear, etc.) and quantities did you order for the paint project? And where did you get them?

r/
Ivan Luke

Sorry about the late reply. I ordered a LOT of stuff; if you want stock numbers and quantities, send me a PM and I'll send you a copy of my order sheet from Blend Supply. Ask for Ryan Wilcox; tell him I sent you; great service. We'll start with solvents: cleaning, wiping, blending and MEK. Wash primer & reducer; urethane primer, reducer and hardener; Skyscapes GA basecoats in five colors (small cans for sampling), reducer and hardener; Skyscapes GA clearcoat, reducer and hardener, lusterless military coatings in two colors, color and catalyst. Each type of coating has its own specific reducer and hardener (if required); no substitutions for reducers and hardeners. S-W gives specific instructions for ratios and matching components. It's a lot of info to sort through, but once you get the procedure down, it's pretty straightforward. Check out my blogspot blog for details on my painting exerience; see my link below and click on the July 2017 entry. My large booth worked much better than expected, and since then I've figured out ways to improve my small booth.

Last edited:
Back