What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-10 Auxiliary Fuel Tanks

glenn72pc

I'm looking to build an RV 10. 60 gallons of fuel is inadequate for the way I plan to use the plane. Is anyone aware of any tip tanks or auxilliary fuel tanks for this aircraft?

Anyone flying with these tanks yet?

I'm curious as to if they turn the 10 into a 2 place a/c due to the addtional weight.

Hello Bob. I have the Safair tanks on my 10. They give me piece of mind for the really long 3.5 hour+ IFR flights. Even with fuel full up, at Van's specified gross weight, there is still room for 3x 200lb people. I don't use them all of the time, and the RV-10 is really a true 4-place airplane. Sometimes I'll use them to avoid the high cost of gas at the destination. I'm sure we'll get all kinds of formulas now about how much fuel burn it takes to tanker the fuel :) but that's just the way I operate. And of course you can always throttle back and not burn as much fuel. Lots of options. YMMV.

Vic

Funny, but actually serious, question

I can appreciate the need/desire to have extended range tanks. However, mother nature only gave my bladder so much range. Easy enough for me to find relief, hence the Gatorade bottle in my flight bag, but do the women that fly with you also have "extended range" or is there a product for that part of the equation as well?

We never push the flight such that biological concerns get uncomfortable. On the longer trips, we tend to fly higher, 10K'-12K', and I don't know if it is the altitude that tends to dehydrate or eliminate the need for the bathroom, but something works. :) We haven't done the gatorade bottle, or other relief items. Probably as we get older the longer flights might not work. Part of the preflight for everyone is to go to the bathroom. :)
Of course, planning the flight weatherwise so it is very boring and everyone can watch movies or listen to music helps. :) Scary flights weatherwise can increase the urge. :(

Vic

Vic,
A couple of questions. How much weight do you think the extra tank package adds (without fuel), and how does it function? Does it have a pump or does it simply drain into the main?
John

John, I don't rmember the actual dry weight, so I'd rather not quote htat. SafeAir should have that on thier website. As for operation, there are 2 electrical fuel pumps (the same ones that are standard on all of the carberator Van's airplanes) in each wing to transfer the fuel into the main tank. I usually burn an hour out of each main, and then transfer the fuel. I put an led in the cockpit to remind me the transfer switch is on, and I set the countdonw timer on the transponder to remind me to turn it off. I have each pump wired separately with a left/right switch, so I don't run them together.

Vic

RV-10 Aux Tanks

Well those Aussies have done it again!!
I know of at least one RV-10 in Australia which has the outer leading edge bays converted to fuel tanks (modified, mounted and configured same as standard tanks). I believe they left one bay spare to fit the transfer solenoid etc.
The owner had it done so as to give greater range as this A/C is used outback where it can be a long way between fuel bowser's. I believe this almost doubles the tankage capacity so be careful of MTOW limits.
They also fitted a turbo (normalised to 20,000ft) at the same time allowing the aircraft to make use of some pretty good tailwinds when available.
I belive a second aircraft is about to be converted.
One of the biggest advantages is that it is almost over the CofG is it not?
My future RV 10 will be built this way from day one!
Ray Jarvis.
RV-8 VH-RCJ.
520+ hours on the clock in 4 years! ;) (one eyed aussie)

Glen,

There are two ways to solve a lack of fuel - adding tanks is only one of them.

Diesel engines use only about 65% of the volume of fuel consumed by gas engines for the same horsepower, effectively giving you 150% "fuel" capacity without increasing the fuel tanks.

There are two diesel engines out there that might be suitable for the RV-10 (based on horsepower). The SMA diesel is certified and makes around 230hp, but might be a bit heavy. The DeltaHawk actually looks like it will be in production soon, and has a 200hp version that weighs about the same as an IO-360. Designed to run at 100% power continuously and with a critical altitude of around 17,000', this motor should propel you at over 230mph TAS at 17,500' (using oxygen) while burning around 10-11gph. This would be my choice if I ever get the nerve/time to build my own RV. Using those figures, you should easily be able to fly 1200 miles with reserves... :)

Since you state that you WILL be building, I suggest that you have time to defer your engine decision until a bit closer to aircraft completion - the options may be greater by then.

Last edited:
Efficiency

N256H often flies close to 1,000sm on standard tanks with reserves. With this plane you can go high and run LOP and really conserve. That is the way to get the best MPG, hence the best cost efficiency. Running this way, the backside and the bladder usually run out before the tanks do. The gatorade bottle does come into play also, but I don't know many ladies who want to use the lady-j adapter, especially with others beside possibly a husband in the plane. In 83+ flights, N256H has only twice not made it to destination without refueling because of 60+ mph headwinds.

If you want to fly low and fast, then tip-tanks would be my suggestion, although Van's is adamantly against them (as they are against any engine mods as well, including turbo-normalizing, which I would love to get some true performance numbers on).

Diesel may be an option in the future, but there are precious few diesels flying in GA to convince me that they are yet a viable option.

Another consideration is that with normal tanks, you can fill them, fill the seats, fill the baggage compartment and fly. There are very few planes you can say that about. Also, if the normal effect of tip tanks is true in the -10, the fuel in the tips may be considered to increase your useful load by that amount. I can't speak to the technical aspects of this, though.

aux tank

Marvin from http://www.smoke-system-helper.com/ makes aluminum tanks that fit in the baggage area, they are triangular in shape to fit under the rear seatbacks. They can hold 15+ gallons of fuel, and are about 23 inches wide.
Kind of pointless to go far without luggage though, but it all depends on your mission.

Lenny

Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't these for the -6, 7, & 9, not the -10?

I spoke to him a bit over a year ago and at the time he had't done any -10 yet, but he was ready to. He had all the measurements he needed. It's definitely a much simpler system. Just T it into the fuel selector and you're done. I think it was around $400 for the 15 gallon tank.
That was before I balanced my injectors. I've got plenty of fuel now flying LOP.

Lenny

Last edited:
RV-10 aux tank

Anyone flying with these tanks yet?

I'm curious as to if they turn the 10 into a 2 place a/c due to the addtional weight.

One solution I did is to add an ATL car race tank only in case of a very long flights , that fits in the rh passenger place.

Jorge Ezquerra
Buenos Aires
RV- 100 + hrs

Back