What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Adding Cowling Louvers / RV-10

Geico266

Well Known Member
I need to add a second set of louvers to the bottom of my coweling. What are you guys using for additional louvers? Are they coming from Vans or are they after market? I searched, but got caught up in the "tunnel cooling" threads and could not find it.

Thanks for any help / suggestions.

Last edited:
Thanks Mike, Dave.

I ordered the aftermarket louvers and will get them installed in the coweling.

Last edited:
Larry,

I've got a pair from Aviation Tech Products that I didn't use/need. Yours if you want them - I'm just up the road in Omaha.

Bob

A special thanks to Bob C.

I drove :)eek: weathered in:mad: ) to pick up the louvers and check out Bob's newly flying RV-10. I can report I got to see both a fine example of an RV, and a fine example of the quality of people that is VAF.

Thanks Bob, I owe you a cold one.

My question is, why add more louvers??? I have almost 200 hours on my RV-10 and I never see over 190 cht in a climb or over 175 cruise and I cruise 75% all the time leaned to peak. (which if you check the lycoming manual is OK) I did see high temps before breakin, but not after. I am monitoring all 6 cyl egt and cht. I also run gami's. Just wanted to put my 2cents worth in. A lot of builders really worry about trivial things!!! Van has a great plane, doesn't need much improvement. A little more HP would be nice though.
Jim

A lot of builders really worry about trivial things!!!

Jim, Trivial? I'm not sure what your definition of think trivial is, but vapor locking and loosing engine power from a heat soaked mechanical fuel pump is not "trivial" in my book. ;)

Last edited:
I have a temp probe in my engine compartment. The most I ever see is in the 180's climb, in cruise around 150's. If everything is baffled tight and properly installed (I used factory firewall farward kit) I just can't see why the heat problems. Not looking to cause a ****storm, just letting you know my experience.
Jim

Jim, Trivial? I'm not sure what your definition of think trivial is, but vapor locking and loosing engine power from a heat soaked mechanical fuel pump is not "trivial" in my book. ;)

You are right, that is not trivial. I am not sure what setup you have but I would be more concerned than just adding louvers if that is the issue. You may have something else partially plugged or not working correctly.
From the beginning I have heard of many people with issues of high oil temps and I was one of them but after a little work I was blown away at the improvements I saw.

I have climbed out of the hottest airports in AZ in summer and tested my plane so I do know it works.

I would be interested in the CHT's you see and oil temps.
I have cut off the baffle that covers the front of the #1 and #2 cylinders and then sealed every little tine hole in the baffle, between the cylinders and made sure the rubber matches up very tight against the top cover.
Tim Olsen has some good pictures of this process:
http://www.myrv10.com/N104CD/maintenance/20061022/index.html

Also, you may want to consider insulating the bottom of the tunnel where the fuel lines run in the fuselage and the front of the tunnel along the firewall. You may be heating up your fuel at that point.

Before doing all of the above I was ready to purchase new oil coolers, new louvers, ect.. Now, my CHT's rarely see 400 F and if my oil temps go to 215 even on a 100 deg day climbing out, I have to really be pushing it hard and climbing below 100 knots. On the hot days I just climb out at 105 knots and everything stays nice and cool.
Hope that helps.

Avery louvers

Thanks for the tip on Avery louvers.
They only have a limited selection, but I can mod them for my application, and they came quick!
Look great too!
Thanks posters!
PS, I love their custom VANS data plate.

Back