What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Fixed pitch prop choices ??

autoglide

Well Known Member
Need to buy prop for a 150 hp -4. Replacing a metal 70? Sensi. Have located for sale 2 choices.....a 68/73 Prince P tip and a 70/75 Pacesetter. The 4 has short gear. Either one will work.........your choice of the two, and why?
Thx, MB

68/73

for the 150 I'd go lower pitch. If you are going to upgrade to 160hp (pistons)
go with pacesetter. The pacesetter most likely can be recarved to change pitch. No two props even by the same guy seems to be exactly the same.
(old first generation props, not new carbon mac daddy ones)
Either one will beat the sen metal!

I'm running a Sterba 68x78 on my 160hp. short gear RV-4. It seems to perform almost exactly to what others are reporting for a 160hp 4. static rpm about 2350
Different prop makers but I'd think the 68x73 would be about right for the 150 hp. Ground clearence has not been an issue with the short gear flying off a bumpy grass strip but of course all my landings are perfect three pointers (NOT!)

Skip
RV-4 #1904

You need to ask the mfgrs about suitability of each prop for your engine/airframe. No two mfgrs rate their pitch measurements the same.

Having said that... Given equal blade count, a cruise-optimized larger diameter prop (within reason) will likely outclimb the smaller diameter cruise-optimized, without affecting top speed (at typical RV speeds).

I flew a 72" dia prop (original Bernie Warnke) on a short legged -4. Climbed great, and easily met Van's spec'd cruise numbers.

I'm currently flying a 68" dia wood Sensenich. Cruise is good, but takeoff & climb are abysmal. To be fair, I bought the prop used & don't know if it was recut/modified from its original configuration. The current owner of that -4 I mentioned installed a Sensenich wood after a runway light incident, and achieved the same speeds as the old Warnke.

FWIW,

Charlie

Not sure exactly when but Pacesetter has been out of production for some time. That said, I have flown two separate Pacesetter props with my 160hp RV-4. The first Pacesetter was a 68/69 and was capable of 2800 rpm level flight. I was quite happy with it as I seldom use WOT at cruise. My next Pacesetter was a 68/71 and 2700 was max rpm. Again I liked the prop although giving up a small amount of climb. In my experience the 70/75 Pacesetter might be a little too much for a 150 RV-4 ?
I currently have a Frank Johnson Performance Propellers 69/72 that I am very happy with.

Prop me up...

Need to buy prop for a 150 hp -4. Replacing a metal 70” Sensi. Have located for sale 2 choices.....a 68/73 Prince P tip and a 70/75 Pacesetter. The 4 has short gear. Either one will work.........your choice of the two, and why?
Thx, MB

MB,
I would go with the Prince as it’s very durable (composite) and I found (9 props tested) 68-69” diameter is ideal for turf, gravel or rough pavement on my short gear Four. Lonnie Prince also backs his products 100%
The Pacesetter is a good prop as well however, it’s wood, is longer diameter and generally needs more love*...:) And.....Pacesetter is no longer in business...

http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=25101&highlight=Hertzler+prop
Prince Prop testimonial

V/R
Smokey

*Love= Care and feeding...More susceptible to rain erosion, increased bolt torque frequency, more fragile.

Last edited:
A buddy bought an RV6A a while ago with a P-Tip prop. I did an evaluation flight on it for him, never flown behind one before, but had heard they were good.

The takeoff was normal with an expected lower rpm but then as I got airborne, the prop kept on unloading and the speed just kept getting higher !!

I fly a 7 with 180hp and MT 3 blade cs prop. He has a 180hp, P-Tip, side by side, he is faster than me !

Downside - lack of aero braking. They are coarsely pitched and you don't slow down that promptly. Once you are aware and comfortable, you plan accordingly and get on with it.

I would recommend the P-Tip.

Back