What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

B&C Starter

TShort

Well Known Member
I'm planning to replace the starter during the panel rebuild this winter - currently have the Skytec -LS, and was planning to swap to the -NL.

Does anyone have experience with the B&C starter? Is it a drop in replacement? How is it performancewise? Any weight benefit? (I can't seem to find weight specs on their web site)

Thanks

I'm planning to replace the starter during the panel rebuild this winter - currently have the Skytec -LS, and was planning to swap to the -NL.

Does anyone have experience with the B&C starter? Is it a drop in replacement? How is it performancewise? Any weight benefit? (I can't seem to find weight specs on their web site)

Thanks

I replaced the broken Skytec Lightweight starter on my RV-8 with the B&C starter.

In my case it wasn't a drop in replacement. I had to modify my snorkel and buy a different mixture lever with a greater offset in order to clear the starter. With my Bendix FI it was a tight fit.

Performance comparison? In my experiemce the B&C spins the prop on the first attempt and spins it faster. Starts great. The SkyTec required 2-3 bumps before it would turn.

No weight benefit in my case. I think I gained a pound. For me it was worth it.

Call B&C. I think you'll be impressed with their customer service. I am.

Thanks for the replies.

I've no doubt B&C is a great company ... have read lots of positive reviews.

I know the -NL starter is used by lots of the -10 owners, but haven't heard reviews of the B&C unit.

If it requires redo of baffles, etc or other stuff, it's a no go for me (too many other projects, and the panel will be work enough) ... but if it is a drop in fit and is a better unit I might consider it.

The B&C starter is a drop in for an RV-10 with no change - I've used them in 2 RV-10s.

Years ago I gave up on my LS starter after nearly leaving me stranded with a approaching tornado. I replace it with a B&C and never looked back. The B&C has never let me down.

I asked the same question some number of years ago. On this forum there seemed to be a strong leaning toward Skytec. When I asked on another type club builders forum I received some very informative responses. I think the most convincing was the high-time builder who indicated he installed the B&C on his new engine and new aircraft. The engine was removed at TBO and overhauled with the B&C just bolted back on the engine. At that time he had put something like 400 hours on his overhauled engine and the B&C was still going strong with something in excess of 2800 hours since new, and never touched other than removal and re-installation when the engine was overhauled.

BTW the reason I was asking this same question was because I had sold my brand new Skytec 149LS starter to an RV8 pilot who was stranded at our field on a Sunday morning when his Skytec broke. It was the typical break - a crack in the aluminum nose casting. I've since seen several that have gone this same way.

The B&C cranks our O-360 with authority.

FWIW - I started with a B7C unit in 1994 & at 2000 replaced engine. Contacted B&C re refurbish & after some pictures & questions they said it was good to continue without any work. It now has 2300 + hrs & still going strong :)

Back