What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Help! I need ideas for avionics install

caapt

Well Known Member
I am bogged down trying to mount my VPX and a remote radio (garmin) in the area forward of the sub panel on the right side. I want to be able to remove them if necessary. Ideas and pics would be much appreciated.

I fabricated a shelf and some rails!

o7G.jpg
o7m.jpg

Sadly, don't have pics of it installed ... basically this is just inside the glove box opening.

I fabricated a shelf and some rails!

o7G.jpg
o7m.jpg

Sadly, don't have pics of it installed ... basically this is just inside the glove box opening.

Greetings.

Great place to put stuff if you aren't going to have a glove box and don't anticipate accessing whatever you're going put there much, if at all. I put my SkyRadar DX there on a "shelf" made of angle much like bkervaski:

I could not find a suitable way to mount the VPX behind the sub panel. I ended up making a drop down shelf below the panel on the pilot's side and mounted it below the shelf. From the seating position it is barely visible and well clear of my knees or legs. I put a photo of my panel in the RV-14 panel pictures a couple of days ago.

Last edited:
Thanks E

You gave me a great idea! All my thoughts involved a plate between the rails. I was having trouble getting them in and out. Your pic of just rails should solve all of that. Thanks

Swing down - detachable

I am bogged down trying to mount my VPX and a remote radio (garmin) in the area forward of the sub panel on the right side. I want to be able to remove them if necessary. Ideas and pics would be much appreciated.

display_log.php

Fabricated a shelf, on a hinge (removable pin), that swings down below the subpanel area. Have to allow 'service loop' slack in the wiring harnesses to be able to keep it all intact, or plan to disconnect connectors. I chose slack in the harnesses.

The top side of the shelf was a 'future' space, and there are some harnesses that pass over that area but nothing needed to be attached later.

A single AN3 bolt attaches to the bracket in foreground, the shelf is lightweight but rigid enough for one bolt.

Last edited:
Sub-panel Mount

Has anyone mounted a VPX on the actual aft facing surface of the F-01455 sub panel (just forward of the pilot?s control panel)? The unit will certainly fit but it only provides 3.5 inches on each side for the connectors and wire bends which is quite tight. The manufacturer advises at least ten inches of clearance for the connectors but the only two areas in an RV-14 with 28 plus inches of free span are the baggage compartment and the bottom of the fuselage. Neither seems ideal.

Tango Uniform

Late to this thread. I've done drop-down trays on both sides and shelf inside glovebox opening for backup battery and backup alternator regulator. Also a plate inside upper part of glovebox opening where I will mount the relay and power distribution panel for electronics/avionics. I'll mount a small fuse block on the right subpanel for a couple of items that couldn't fit the main breaker panel.

Photos of work in progress:https://turnerb14a.blogspot.com/2018/11/work-continues-on-avionics-trays.html

I mounted the VPX, low, behind the panel on the right side, I made a mount on top of it for my EMS, MAP, ADSB, HUB etc. This gave me access forward via the glove box opening.

Late to this thread. I've done drop-down trays on both sides and shelf inside glovebox opening for backup battery and backup alternator regulator. Also a plate inside upper part of glovebox opening where I will mount the relay and power distribution panel for electronics/avionics. I'll mount a small fuse block on the right subpanel for a couple of items that couldn't fit the main breaker panel.

Photos of work in progress:https://turnerb14a.blogspot.com/2018/11/work-continues-on-avionics-trays.html

Ingenious location choices. As those of us with full panels have discovered, like fitting 10# of potatoes into a 5# sack . . . ;)

Ingenious location choices. As those of us with full panels have discovered, like fitting 10# of potatoes into a 5# sack . . . ;)

Thanks - most of my ideas shamelessly stolen from others. Not only is it 10 lbs in a 5lb sack (my father used a different reference than potatoes by the way), it's unique to each installation. In my case, placement of a row of switches below the pilot side PFD made fitting all the boxes a particular challenge.

Back