What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Avstar fuel injection servo installation on IO-360m1b

tgmillso

Well Known Member
Sponsor
Hi All,
I am wanting to install the Avstar AVX-5VA1 throttle body/injector servo on the IO-360M1B I purchased from Vans, and had acouple of questions regarding the install process and documentation.
First, the RV-7 firewall Forward instructions say nothing about the throttle body installation that I can find, and secondly the drawing OP-22 that shows the throttle and mixture attachments seem to indicate that the outlet should be on top and not the bottom, and that the throttle and mixture arm clocking is incorrect.
If someone is able to point me in the direction of some more comprehensive installation documentation I would greatly appreciate it.
If there isn't any such documentation, then I gather I should install the gasket dry and torque 5/16" nuts to 204-228 in lb (with new star lock washers) and simply re clock the mixture and throttle arms so that the suit the position of the cable locations provided in the firewall forward package?
Cheers.
Tom.

AvStar

Hi Tom,

Contact Eric Weaver at AvStar, he?s most helpful.

AvStar are currently replacing an AVX-320-3 for me because it was sent incorrectly setup. Mixture was fine however throttle lever travel was opposite required. Needed entirely new setup.

I don?t believe there is any comprehensive documentation available, but engineering will answer questions.

Tom,
I have a recent Van's YIO-360-M1B installed on my 7. I believe I had to just simply loosen the throttle and mixture arms and reindex as necessary to fit the throttle and mixture brackets provided in the FWF kit. No big deal. You will also find you will likley need to do the same with the governor.
BTW I got my Airworthiness issued today. Hope for 1st flight tomorrow.

Jake

Awesome. Thanks guys for the quick response. Looks like I'm heading generally in the right direction.
T.

Hi All,
I am wanting to install the Avstar AVX-5VA1 throttle body/injector servo on the IO-360M1B I purchased from Vans ... I gather I should install the gasket dry and torque 5/16" nuts to 204-228 in lb (with new star lock washers) and simply re clock the mixture and throttle arms so that the suit the position of the cable locations provided in the firewall forward package?
Cheers.
Tom.

Tom, did this work out for you? I'm in the same boat. I assume the servo can be installed in any orientation? (fuel input to right and output down viewing aft)?

Any particular issue with the reclocking? Where did you hold when torquing the nuts?

Did the Vans throttle and mixture brackets work ok?

Thanks,

dave

Dave,
I installed mine with the fuel inlet on the left side, fuel line out to spider on right side. This was the only logical installation and matched the supplied fuel lines that came with the engine. Needed to reclock mixture and throttle arms. All of this mated up nicely to Vans throttle and mixture control brackets per drawings.

Last edited:
Thanks Jake,

Mine is fuel input on the left (facing forward) and output clocked to the right, so I think we are similar. Also matched lines from Lycoming.

My fuel output fitting was installed on the bottom, but not sure if it will clear the cowl yet. I may be better off moving the output to the top as most others seem to have installed on the top. The bottom would be easier to work on though.

It is not labelled, but I believe

2rdgjmw.jpg

is the 'alternate output' port.

The Avstar seems to match the Silverhawk EX-5VA1 quite closely. Perhaps a re-label? Anyway the doc for the Silverhawk shows the above as the alternate. It is however not labelled on the Avstar.

I wonder if anyone can confirm that the port above is the alternate out for the Avstar AVX-5VA1?

Cheers
dave

Hey Dave,

My outlet is on the bottom per the standard concept, then I bring a flex line up to my FT60 which sits on top of the injector, attached to the sump using adel clamps. I just had to re-clock those arms. When I did the nuts up I think I just held the arms with an adjustable wrench. I'll grab some photos tonight and post them for you so you can see how I routed things.

Tom.

Dave,
My output was also on the bottom, angled it slightly forward or aft (I don't remember which) and it will clear the cowling just fine.

Last edited:
I wonder if the RV7 is the same as the RV8? I made a cardboard mock up with the servo output on the bottom and it looks tight holding the lower cowl in position.

-dave

Hi Dave. Here are some pics. There is about 1 1/4 to 1 1/2" clearance between the bottom of the AN4 elbow and the cowling. This is on a -7, so I'm not sure exactly how it will apply to the 8, but I don't suspect it will be that much different.
The FT-60 is suspended and not hard bolted to the engine case. It just floats between a set of the adel clamps. The hoses are some that Tom at TS fabricated for me. There is silicone tubing on the back of it to separate it from the engine, and this silicone is zip tied using high temp teflon ties to the FT-60 mounting holes. In hindsight, I should probably have a fire sleeve around the FT-60, but to be frank I made the outlet hose a touch short and I was going to have a dog of a time to get it to fit, so I will see how things go regarding vapor lock.
Tom.

353czgx.jpg

avotnp.jpg

2ug31iw.jpg

Back