What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Center Brace too short?

sritchie

Well Known Member
Hey folks,

I'm working on my RV10 cabin top and am fitting in the center brace. On page 43-8 the instructions say to insert the cabin center brace into the fwd top skin and "slide the brace as far forward as it will go".

When I do that, the four holes on the top part of the brace no longer reach far enough for me to drill them into the cabin top! See here for proof:

17389249_10100973879339802_2927152556110472119_o.jpg

There's room for me to slide the center brace back, BUT there's not much meat on the center brace to drill into behind the panel.

What should I do? Should I try to split the difference? Or should I try to fill in that area of the cabin top with structural filler before drilling through?

Would love some thoughts on how to proceed.

Last edited by a moderator:
I would suggest taking a few more pictures and send them to Van's. I think for this you probably want to get some guidance from the factory.

Hello sritchie

Let's wait for the factory solution, but as that happened to me as well and I just pulled back the brace in order to get the upper fwd holes done in the cabin cover, and there was still plenty of material to drill in the bottom brace "meat".

Regards
Carlos

For myself, I found throughout nearly every phase of the build, if something didn't fit, I did something wrong. I believe I found one manufacturer issue, and I suspect others have also, but in general, if it didn't fit, I relooked at everything I did prior to that point and I think always found a mistake I did.

slide back, check edge distance

I slide mine back just enough to catch the flat area up top, about one hole diameter from looking at the pic on yours. This still gave plenty of edge distance in the metal brace (i.e. 1.5 dia to center of hole). Will be curious as to what Vans suggests...Good luck:)

Back