What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Aerosport Landing Light Installation

Bill.Peyton

Well Known Member
I just finished the installation of the Aerosport Landing Light Kit. The most difficult part was the paint. Unfortunately the light bezel intruded on the white as well as the blue paint, so it took a little more effort to match the paint. I used the Baja Designs 4 light super-bright LED. While I haven't tried it at night yet, with the hanger totally darkened, the nose light now makes the 75W wing tip lights look like a small flashlight! Can't wait to get it out at night. I was always hesitant to fly trips at night because of the poor lighting of the wing tip lights. I attached a couple of photos of the installation.

IMG_0104.JPG
IMG_0103.JPG

Thanks for posting, Bill. Would welcome a pic or two of the inside, particularly how you mounted the Baja lights. (Please, pretty please!)

I took a bunch of photos of the inside, but somehow between the hangar and home I lost the SD card. I took the above photos with my iphone. Next time I have the cowl off I will take some photos. What I ended up doing with the wire is using a #18 shielded wire, the Baja light only draws 3.5 amps. I already had heat shield stuck to my cowling, so I used some leftover pieces and just ran a 1 inch wide strip of adhesive heat shield with the wire centered in the middle up to the hinge line, then down the hinge line to the firewall where I used a molex connector. The wire is completely hidden and protected from heat. I will post an inside photo when I remove the cowl next.

Thanks, Bill. I'm looking at cowl light options and the Baja is high on the list, as is the Rigid Duelly D2. More light, less watts... but more money. Ugh, here we go again! LoL

Dunnellon Fl. airport (X35) Fly-in.

Bill,
Are you still planning to come to the Fly-In at Jesse's this coming weekend?

Let us know after your night flight. I have looked at this light and also the AeroLed, which has come out with an led wing tip lights.

Aerosport Landing Light Installation - RV-4?

A beautiful installation - well done! Wondering if anyone has considered this install on an RV-4? The angle/curvature of the 4's lower cowl may be a challenge - just curious...

Here are some photos from this eve. They did not turn out as well as I wanted, but give you a good idea how bright the Baja Design LED light is. The first pic is with the standard wingtip 75W halogens. The second pic is both the wingtip lights and the Aerosport landing light. It made landing at night a piece of cake! Now all I need are Baja Design LEDs in the wingtips.:p

IMG_3040.JPG

IMG_3039.JPG

Bill,

Look's great! I wish I had room in my RV-7 cowl for a third Baja Designs light. These lights are scary bright!

Bill, that light does a great job, it has just been added to the list. Thanks again for showing me your plane while you were down. It is a beautiful example of what can be done with an RV 10.

I'm closing in on lighting options. Is it possible to install this light as the only form of landing/taxi lights? Do away with wing tip Lights as I have not installed them yet.

Thanks

I'm sure you could, but my belief is the more light the better. The wingtip lights are easy to install and they are very inexpensive

Also More Is Better

I installed the Aerosport cowl light, but used a flood lamp to provide a broad beam in front of the airplane for taxi. My wingtip lights (spots) aim further out for takeoff/landing AND wig-wag. IMHO wig-wag works better than strobes in hazy daytime conditions.

Back