What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Painting The Brake Pedals?

Quick question: do folks paint (or otherwise coat) the WD-820 brake pedals? It seems strange to me to leave them bare aluminum, but I didn't see anything in the instructions about priming & painting them.

Thanks,
-Ross

Peddles

I left mine bare , no paint to wear out . If you want them a color I would either powder coat them or have them anodized.

Painted them using the same PPG single stage paint used for the rest of interior. Very durable finish. 15 years on the RV-8A like this and they still look like the day I painted them. I added some stick on non-skid pads as well. Did the same with the RV-10.

If memory serves, the pedals are not alclad so will corrode with time.

Carl

Powder coat

Powdercoated mine and did some other small asst parts in the same oven run. I used the long pivot bolts and needed to remove the powdercoat out of the bolt holes during assembly. Easy with right size drill bit or reamer.

Don Broussard
RV9 Rebuild in Progress
57 Pacer

I had mine hard anodized. We'll see at some point in the future how well that lasts and whether it was worth the money.

Wing-walk

I used the black wing-walk that has an adhesive back. I cut it a little large then used an x-acto knife to cut around the edges and holes. Looks nice and no slip.

I have painted the pedals on a couple of our planes - just normal spray primer and paint, then in to the oven for awhile. You see some wear - but no flaking or peeling.

I personally wouldn't like non-skid because I purposely fly by sliding my feet up on to the pedals for braking and back down (helps on the floor) for steering without hitting the brakes. I think non-skid would make that harder, and possibly hang up in the transition. Remember - all my current aircraft are taildraggers!

Paul

Carl,
These non-skid pads you describe, where did you got them? Send me a quick PM or post here with this information. Thx.

Ivan K.

3M makes a variety of product along this line. I recommend not using the stuff that looks like sandpaper. The "bumpy rubber" is a good compromise on wear, durability and not getting your feet stuck. In the RV-8A I used the same stuff to line the passenger foot wells (wide version that I cut to fit the wells). This worked well.

Carl

I painted mine and used the wingwalk stuff. They still look fine after 240 hrs other than a little wear on the pilot side rudder bar.

F6QRJt1Mq9k8dC-u-6baI6MWfs07EV5AQJGGts4rIUAN8YwR2pX94RPF2M-3BPWCqSJrIu6YKnJWJe6QBbVPS00F3Fi1aFPYRouylt1r5AO0QPJwtbWi29Sm-wxxx_IlKSMfY1cDEs3JZ_VwU0vjzimCjLrXkpalUyDeC9A56kjqXPAjsdmZRZEQ5JT7L9EpqmGIJZZ4mSwoeI0VRj5oFmYxguROHYau2k6SY6pLnm-qshdW1J1SMu91Yizji8WSQYz9ORl9QzQxipx4DI2gKot7IGjDKMnqJGDcY3Wq2ncY7BEuCE7fNhrXMz37m6yohDZwFhzlD7ZzHVD-gpN24jvJPUm9BWl4NICeiyaeQjXxZ9J0UbwQGsdJx1DFMInv-BsooPDdQMPu2nQovWaAvOYCGyh_58l0KeIH-942n_3KTNOLqplVrhwc7UehXmAXVxUwgyM_Mzq2i53VdkIFPwPYqkrv9qVZUiT9ftR5KydwhM7CZfI7qXDh5gYIZupWYAwJsJms1djpr4T6ulUi99s-sOc2a-jm389SaEUgco5aelwMi7eUNjk0CFesBszHgoDULtu-G_yVLg4rscJtaNrrY3ur5iMV8ZXA5r0Dd8lLAMrcDCMaIhy7O4g2NT9aYbA4RduedyR6pHxasHQiCYpE5J2GwexUsgUtQX9RMLjhuQ=w2735-h300-no

Back