What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

When to Fit the Wings

mfleming

Well Known Member
Patron
-7 Quick Build Fuselage, Standard built wings, Slider.

I searched and didn't see any threads on this topic.

So I'm at the point in the manual where they have you fit the wings to drill the rear spar, match the tank brackets etc..

I was planning on fitting them and then removing them until final assembly at the Hangar.

While ordering some DVDs from George Orndorff, he suggested waiting until all work has been completed and then fit them once at final assembly.

Is it really that big of deal to fit them and then remove them for a later final assembly?

I see no point in fitting them then removing for storage. Unless you want to do that for pure motivational purposes, it’s a waste of time. When I fit mine, they stayed on and flew shortly thereafter. If I were to build 10 more, I would do it the same way....but then I do admit to having a thing about wasting time.

Last edited:
I would do them whenever you are wondering "what should I do next?".

It's about a day of work. it's easy, but you have to make sure everything is perfect. it's also an opportunity to connect the flaps, ailerons, lights, pitot lines and fuel lines. all of those connections taken time. I would do it whenever you feel you are ready to do all of those things.

It is all depend on how complete you want it to be. There is a bit of work to be completed that requires the wing to be in place, either temp or permanent. The bottom Fues skin overlaps the wing and they need to be drilled and nutplates to be installed. Also, the intersection fairing overlaps the bottom skin and the wing so you will need the wing in place to completed the upper intersection fairing. This is especially if you are going to make your own intersection fairing. This is not to mention to set the incident and drill the rear spar mount.

I would give it a good 3-4 days worth of work, if you are going to make and finish the intersection fairing.

Another consideration might be, when you plan on painting the entire aircraft. I wanted to paint the wings off the plane, and with all the other little items that needed to be done, I would vote to do initial fitting/ drilling now, then remove wings after there is nothing else that could possibly/ appropriately completed now.

I waited until most of the work on the fuselage was done and the plane was in a hangar. My garage was too small to install both wings for measurements and driveway to steep to acceptable level the fuselage. The trick is to keep wires and tubes out of the way of the future wing bolt installation, including room for tools. Not easy on an -A model.

When I built my 7A, I talked to Vans about this issue, they told me it does not matter when. I left my wings off until most the last thing to do. I did use the smaller test bolts first and then finalized using the proper bolts. You do not want to try and get those back out, so be sure you are ready for the final fit.

Back