What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

FAA for 8000-3

egp8111

Patron
FAA is coming Monday for a certification inspection of my RV-4:). One of the things he wants is a form 8000-3"Fabrication and Assembly Operational Checklist"
It's just a long list of things you need to build and do to make an airplane. You check rather they were done by the builder or by the kit manufacturer and at the end just add them up, from what I can understand it is used to determine if the kit meets the 51% rule ( this guy has obviously never seen a early RV-4 kit!!) Nothing about outside assistance.
The EAA certification rule does not mention form 8000-3. Has anyone come across this before? Do I fill the thing out or does he, who knows? Seems like he could look on the FAA's list of approved kits and see that the RV-4 has been on it since 1984.
Anyone dealt with this?
It's his sandbox, I'm just playing in it.

Thanks,
Skip
RV-4 #1904 (soon I hope)

To further clarify.....

If it is on the FAA 51% aproved list, kindly show that to him. It is not needed.
Vic

The list is not needed if the kit is on the approved kit list, no modifications have been made, and/or there has been no paid assistance.
Some offices are very picky about this and some are not.

Take a look at this Skip...

There is a new (since 2011) form on the FAA.gov site, the FAA is using as a guideline for there inspection as I can tell. It is referred to as "Amateur built Fabrication and Assembly Checklist 2011 Fixed Wing". https://www.faa.gov/aircraft/gen_av/ultralights/amateur_built/kits/ . I didn't need this in 2010 when I did mine. I will bring a couple printed copies tomorrow when we look at your plane. You may want to pull it up and fill it out tonight.I have not heard this being used or requested by anyone else, but it was obviously created to assist FAA/DER inspections. I'm surprised I have not seen this before on the forums. I dont know where the "8000-3" came from, as I don't see it on the form. Im continuing to do some more looking!! Gotta get you flying!!

I would call the guy today, since you don't want any surprises when he shows up next week. If he's a jerk and demands to see the documentation, I suspect that Van's will email you a copy. But as others have mentioned, you should have to supply that particular document. My approach is to try not to antagonize the person until at least he signs all the documentation. :D

I had an old boss that use to say, you can be right and **** everyone off, or you can be effective and just do what you need to do to get the job done.

Thanks all.
I'm going to have a copy of the 8000-3 form and also I've made a copy of the FAA's "approved" kit list showing the RV-4.
Must say this makes me a little nervous about what to expect.
I'm just trying to get along......

Skip

Back