What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

List Your Serial Number here!

#140404 empennage arrived in San Jose, California on 7/17/2017.

This repeat offender is amazed by the improvement in quality and completeness!

Cheers,
Dan

Received Empennage on April 11, 2018 Serial # 140479

I have completed the VS and almost done with the Rudder.

I have built a RV7A in 2012. Great kit.

140457 received the empennage in Feb 2018, wing at the end of March. First time build, loving every minute, well most of them.
Kerry

Edmonton, Alberta

If you are ever in the air around Calgary or Springbank, please say hi, I work Calgary arrival, departure and VTA

140356 ... Purchased Empennage, Wings and QB Fuse from an individual who had not started the build, received March 2018. Will be starting the build this summer.

Located in the WNY area.

140480 empennage received April 18. Vertical and rudder complete. Time to slow down a bit and enjoy the process. Santa Clarita CA

#140411 Empenage Kit rec'd 1/5/18. Rudder and Elevator done. Starting on aft fuselage soon. Hope to have it ready for QB Fuselage Kit expected delivery in June.
Reserved N411RV tail number.

RV-14 140186

Building with my neighbor. What a joy! Dreamed about it, planned and finally it is happening! Thanks Vans!!
QB fuselage
bought a very good tail competed in AZ
QB Wings on order
Still a very long way from flying....
But very grateful it is possible
Larry

140425, purchased Sep 2017. Started building November. Must be the slowest out there as combining it with looking after 18 month old twin girls. VS complete, Rudder nearly.

140494 - tail and wing kits ordered on 5/8/18. Tail kit delivery scheduled for after our return from Hawaii on 5/23. Can't wait to get things moving along!!

140454 - build started 1 Jan 18. VS, Rudder, HS and Elevator complete (except fiberglass and empennage component attach). Aft fuselage nearly complete (only top skins remain). Just under 300 hours into the build at this point. QB fuselage and QB wings kits ordered and scheduled for delivery in late July.

I’ll have a break now waiting for the next kits. (Should have ordered them when I picked up the empennage kit rather than waiting a month.) It will give me time to move the build from the 15x20 room where I started out to my shop. The smaller space has been perfect up to now but it’s beginning to get a bit cramped. My goal was to average 2hrs/day and except for the week lost to attend my son’s graduation/commissioning I am on track.

I am very impressed with all aspects of Van’s operation. The kit itself has been flawless and their support exceptional. The local EAA Chapter 292 has provided Tech Counselor Inspections along the way which, as a first time builder, has provided tremendous peace of mind.

N76VY reserved.

Lyn
KCVO

Last edited:
Isn't the serial number determined by the manufacturer? The number assigned at Van's is for their kit, not the airplane.

That means we could all have Serial number 14

or 140014 :D

The original purpose of this thread (I think) was to allow people to see how many people have started build an RV-14 up to any given point in time.

You are correct that a builder can designate any serial # they want, but what is the benefit to using something other than the kit serial #?

140492 in Melbourne, Australia.

Emp inventory complete, workshop almost complete (building a spray booth today).

I have some scars as well as plenty of DNA evidence in the airframe that I can use to prove the "51%" rule....

It's not really your airplane until you spatter it with some of your blood. I managed to do that when unpacking my empennage kit! :eek:

Turner,

I read your blog and saw your post about many clecos/sore hands. I learned this when I took the EAA sheet metal class, so I bought this. It proved its worth when I clecoed the horizontal stabilizer assembly together a little while ago (500 clecos).

Last edited:
Serial #

140507 empennage should arrive Tuesday June 19th.
QB wings and fuselage should get o me November/December.

RV 6A sold
RV 8A flying for sale
RV 12 flying for sale

Joe R

Finished my empennage today. QB wings and fuse are currently being assembled in the Phillipines (I visited the QB factory in the Phillipines this past Spring ? awesome!). Expect delivery mid October.

S/N 140468

N468JG reserved.

Joe Reaves
Longview, Texas

Arion Lightning LS-1

OK. I'll add my serial number to the mix. I'm building #140325.

There's a story here. A couple of years ago, Vans came out with a new plane - the RV-14. I had already built an RV-7, and have been flying it a lot, including the annual pilgrimage from Washington State to Oshkosh every year.

During one of my annual trips back to OSH, I took my wife along with me for her very first experience. The trip from KAWO / Arlington to KOSH is about a ten hour flight. I always make a couple of stops and spend a couple of days along the way, but ten hours is still ten hours. Lots of seat time for my spousal unit in the RV.

Wandering through the Vans exhibit, we saw the new RV-14 and my wife climbed in to check it out. Almost immediately, she told me (in no uncertain terms) that I have permission to build the -14!

Up to this point, I was perfectly happy with my -7. I'm still perfectly happy with my -7. But she mentioned that she wanted more leg room, and more room to spread out on long cross country trips. So I put a -14 on my future "to do" list.

Fast forward a couple of years, and I'm looking at the For Sale/Bulletin boards located just outside the EAA Wearhouse during Airventure 2017. There's a tear-off tab for an untouched RV-14 empenage kit. The price is right, so I call and purchase it on the spot.

The kit is in Michigan. I'm in Wisconsin, but my transportation back to Washington involves an RV-7 that is already packed to the gills with sleeping bags and tents and smelly laundry! But the guy selling the kit is taking a road trip in a few weeks and he'll be driving right through my neck of the world. So....

There's always a story. This is how mine begins!

Empannage kit coming Monday, slow build fuse in August, QB wings for Christmas. So happy to be back after a temporary hiatus in another kit plane.

I’m new to posting in the forum but I’m the proud owner of serial # 140129. I’ve been working @3 1/2 years on my 14. I e taken about a year and a half off the project in off and on spurts due to work, family and some surgeries but I’m steadily getting it done. I’ve reserved N914DH as my N number. So far I have completed the empennage and the wings. I am working on the forward fuselage side walls and getting ready to join the forward fuselage and the empennage together. Thanks to all those that have gone before me by posting their triumphs and trials on these hallowed pages.

David Hays
RV14 in progress
Dues paid
Proud member of the Falcon Field RV Squadron
Senoia, Ga

Last edited:

Drove to Aurora yesterday to pick up my pre-ordered RV-8 empennage....brought my wife with me...... brought back an RV-14 empennage instead. What just happened?
:D.

Congratulations. You will love it, and she will like sitting beside you! Enjoy the project. :)

RV-14A Serial Number 140484, empennage delivery April 2018, first flight September 24, 2021. John A. Heit, M.D., Helena, MT

140972 Emp kit arrived last April and is completed now. Waiting on SB wing kit to be shipped. Crating date was late August. :(

New Zealand RV14a

Builder 140957, empennage underway, just got both my wing and fuselage kits so plenty to keep me going.

Serial umber is 140757. Engine arrived last week. Ready to install engine mount and undercarriage. Avionics are 90+% complete.

RV-14A

#140924, N988PM.

3/13/21 - Started on empennage
Empennage and SB wings complete
SB fuselage about 60% complete (prepping to paint interior)
Finish kit ordered 11/08/21
Engine ordered 03/11/22
Fingers crossed that supply chain issues don't cause a stall...

Last edited:
Back