What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Engine Oil Question

UH1CW2

Well Known Member
I have been using Shell 100W for over 15 years and it seems to have performed well. However, several people on the field are telling me that the Phillips 66 Victory 100AW is a better oil. Does anyone have some experience using the Phillip 100 AW oil? If so I would like to get some feedback. I ask because I am a bit old school and just don't change that easy. However, if Phillips 66 is a better product I am open to using it.

If you know of a better oil I would like to hear about that as well.

Thanks Guys

I always use Aeroshell 100 Plus, which includes the antiwear additive LW-16702 same as the Victory, which oil is better.. who knows, but I'll stick with the Aeroshell till someone proves otherwise.

I use neither of the two oils you are trying to determine which is better.

Both meet the same spec.

IMHO, the one that can be obtain or delivered local at the lower price is the better one in my book. If they are both the same price, which seller do I like better?

They say the cheapest thing about flying is the pilot. Yes I fly and I am a pilot. If the shoe fits, I will wear it.

i use aviation oil, i fly a lot and change my oil a lot. i have a lot of oil stacked up ready to go. my engines have gone way past tbo with high compressions. diesel oil? not sure about that one. add some mmo once in a while, i do. ;)
IMG_1909.jpg

I always use Aeroshell 100 Plus, which includes the antiwear additive LW-16702 same as the Victory, which oil is better.. who knows, but I'll stick with the Aeroshell till someone proves otherwise.

This is what the tech expert at Aerosport Power recommended. He advised to stay away from the multi viscosity oils and stick with 100 weight in summer and 80 weight in the cold months.

This is what the tech expert at Aerosport Power recommended. He advised to stay away from the multi viscosity oils and stick with 100 weight in summer and 80 weight in the cold months.

This is pretty much what mike bush says... I have no technical knowledge on the subject but I decided to believe what he said about oil. If you have an hour of free time you could listen to his webinar. I think he says " 15W50 is his least favorite oil...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ibX8xJYxsSA

Oil

I keep seeing reference to marvel mistery***
It?s great for loosing nuts, bolts and cleaning.
But it?s basically one part atf and three parts
Solvent. Why would anyone put this in there
Fuel tank or oil sump?
You can look up the msds on line and see it?s
A great solvent.
I have been wrenching on aircraft since the
Very early 70s and have never understood the
Why people swear by it?

I don't swear, even by MMO (m'lady is the one with the potty mouth). But an IA I trusted said a particular condition on an engine I had sounded like carbon sticking to a valve, try some MMO for a couple hours at cruise settings prior to changing the oil. It was marvelous, and mysterious, how that condition went away. Have not used it again, though.

I do use Phillips XC 20w50 year round in the mid-Atalantic with CamGuard on two engines. Oil analysis shows no known issues over 1000 hours of operation.

Marvel

To answer your question as to why people swear by it is because it has some good uses. It has been used since 1923 as an additive in fuel and oil it is mostly mineral spirits but it is also up to 30%tricresyl phosphate like the Lycoming additive is an extreme antiwear and extreme pressure additive in lubricants.Also if you add to oil about an hour before you change your oil it will remove carbon based contamination from metal surfaces.
Bob

good oil points

I like the thought process of using a straight weight oil, no multi viscosities. I lived in Mississippi for 6 years and the oil temp would get hot in the summer time (220's F). I always ran the Shell 100W and even then the oil would look like water on the dipstick when the engine was hot. I could imagine a multi grade oil being even thinner.

Ordered a case of the Phillips 66 100AW. I am going to try it for two oil changes and just see how it performs under temperature and what my oil pressure is doing when it starts to get up in the 200's. I don't know if there is anything to the claims of it being a better oil but I'll get out of my little saftey box and at least try it for 50 hours.

For the last 13 years I have always run 8 oz of the Motor Kote in my engine with every oil change. I use it in everything, snowmobiles, motorcycles, lawn equipment and my cars. Years ago I participated in the validation of the product with the Michigan State Professor who developed the product. Its performance is real and the product does EXACTLY what it claims. (Watch a video on Motor Kote if you have time https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gIEZ58wnUyM ) Great stuff. So even if the oils thin out and the cam-guard doesn't work, I always know I have it covered with Motor Kote in the engine. I have never used the Marvel Mystery Oil but I have friends that use it in their fuel and engine oil.

Back