What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV9 Baggage Area

skelrad

Well Known Member
Friend
Maybe I always misunderstood, but for some reason I thought the fuselage was identical between the -9 and -7. Vans lists the baggage area for 75 lbs in the 9 and 100 lbs in the 7 though. Is there a structural difference and when people say the fuselage is the same they just mean the dimensions?

The construction plans for the 9 actually indicate a 100 lb limit. This is of course, depending on proper weight and balance. With a metal, FP prop, I can load 100 lbs of baggage along with 2 people and full fuel. I have not done, but have come close, without issue.

Chris

The construction plans for the 9 actually indicate a 100 lb limit. This is of course, depending on proper weight and balance. With a metal, FP prop, I can load 100 lbs of baggage along with 2 people and full fuel. I have not done, but have come close, without issue.

Chris

Gotcha. May just be an oversight on the website then. Thanks for the clarification.

Or an oversight in the construction plans.

Doesn't sounds like it -

From a previous VAF thread:

"alpinelakespilot2000
08-22-2008, 12:10 PM
I have asked about this discrepency directly of Van's a couple times. Their unequivocal response both times was that it's merely a matter of c.g. People with wood fixed pitched props are probably going to be limited to 75#. People with metal constant speeds will probably be able to get away with 100#.
"

Also,

Section 14, page 1, item 4:
Maximum Gross Weight: The maximum weight that the structure of the airplane can support at the 4.4G limit of the Utility Category. For the RV-9/9A, this weight is 1600 lbs.

G-LOAD TESTING
... The RV-9/9A structure had been designed to withstand utility design loads of +4.4/-1.8G at a utility gross weight of 1600 lbs...

MAXIMUM G-LOAD:... The RV-9/9A has a maximum G load of +4.4 and -1.8 at 1600 lbs...

MAXIMUM BAGGAGE WEIGHT
The maximum allowable baggage weight is determined by the structural limits of the baggage compartment floor, and is the maximum weight that can be carried in the baggage compartment under the most ideal conditions. For the RV-9/9A, the maximum permissible baggage limit is 100 lbs. This means that when C.G. limits and gross weight limits will permit, up to 100 lbs of baggage can be carried in the RV-9/9A baggage compartment. An example of this condition is a single pilot operating where this amount of baggage will not likely cause either the C.G. or the gross weight to exceed limits. With a single occupant, additional baggage can be carried in the passenger seat, but only if the C.G. and Gross Weight remained within limits, and if it is secured so that it cannot possibly interfere with the pilot's ability to operate the controls.

Doesn't sounds like it -

From a previous VAF thread:

"alpinelakespilot2000
08-22-2008, 12:10 PM
I have asked about this discrepency directly of Van's a couple times. Their unequivocal response both times was that it's merely a matter of c.g. People with wood fixed pitched props are probably going to be limited to 75#. People with metal constant speeds will probably be able to get away with 100#.
"

Also,

Section 14, page 1, item 4:
Maximum Gross Weight: The maximum weight that the structure of the airplane can support at the 4.4G limit of the Utility Category. For the RV-9/9A, this weight is 1600 lbs.

G-LOAD TESTING
... The RV-9/9A structure had been designed to withstand utility design loads of +4.4/-1.8G at a utility gross weight of 1600 lbs...

MAXIMUM G-LOAD:... The RV-9/9A has a maximum G load of +4.4 and -1.8 at 1600 lbs...

MAXIMUM BAGGAGE WEIGHT
The maximum allowable baggage weight is determined by the structural limits of the baggage compartment floor, and is the maximum weight that can be carried in the baggage compartment under the most ideal conditions. For the RV-9/9A, the maximum permissible baggage limit is 100 lbs. This means that when C.G. limits and gross weight limits will permit, up to 100 lbs of baggage can be carried in the RV-9/9A baggage compartment. An example of this condition is a single pilot operating where this amount of baggage will not likely cause either the C.G. or the gross weight to exceed limits. With a single occupant, additional baggage can be carried in the passenger seat, but only if the C.G. and Gross Weight remained within limits, and if it is secured so that it cannot possibly interfere with the pilot's ability to operate the controls.

Correct

And I think the web site has a typo error and it meant to list 2 different weights.... One as a recommendation of what would be typical for 118 HP and one for 160 HP.

And there is an additional restriction for 325 pounds maximum nosewheel weight that comes into play when on the forward end of the CG spectrum. Most people won't have that problem, but I've got an IO360 and constant speed up front with 67 gallons fuel capacity - it's something I have to watch.

And there is an additional restriction for 325 pounds maximum nosewheel weight that comes into play when on the forward end of the CG spectrum. Most people won't have that problem, but I've got an IO360 and constant speed up front with 67 gallons fuel capacity - it's something I have to watch.
Just move that little wheel to the back and that problem goes away.

Is there a structural difference and when people say the fuselage is the same they just mean the dimensions?
Others have already addressed the baggage weight issue. As for this issue, there is no structural difference. The 9 and the 7 fuselage are the same in structure, construction, components, dimensions and every other concept of what it means to be "the same".

Back