What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Todd's RV-8 Canopy profile

Jeff0181

With the unfortunate passing of Todd and his business being in limbo has any one tried to recreate his canopy? Is there a manufacturer out there who makes a similar profile?

Does anyone have profile pictures if a Todd's canopy on an RV-8 or a template?

Thanks,
Jeff

I contacted them a few weeks ago. They specifically told me they will not supply a canopy for an RV8 to an end user. The only option would be to purchase it from Vans and then have it drop shipped to me direct. Would likely save $600 or so in shipping costs.

I've got it!

I just bought the bulk of what was Todd's business four days ago, I'm in the process of building an oven to do the forming. The previous buyer was unable to transport the old oven base (1500 lbs flat on the floor), so the old oven wasn't worth taking. It's going to be a learning process, and I expect a month or so of experimenting. When I'm ready to start selling canopies I'll be advertising on VAF. Probably only offer RV8 canopies initially.

Wish me luck!

Lance

Good Luck!

With such an unfortunate turn of events, hopefully you can keep Todd's vision alive!

Good Luck and I will be a customer!

Best wishes

Lance good luck on your new adventure. My bucking partner and I both have the RV 8 tinted version from Todd and we love them. They are truly beautifull. I am not flying yet and he is still in phase 1. It is a fantastic product.

Vic

I have a tinted todds canopy on the -4 and love it. I thought one of Todds employees was going to take over the business? Are you going to keep it as Todds canopies, or change the name?

Last edited:
Hi Lance,

Any update on the canopies ? I was going to order one through Vans in the next couple of months to replace the cracked on in my RV8. Do you have a website that I can get more information from ?

Cheers

Marty

Almost there!

Hey All,

I've gotten several queries in just the last few days. I'll be finishing the 'Machine' this week, and will need to install a sub-panel to provide power. I should be able to start testing (nice word for destroying plastic) next week. I'll respond to those I've gotten PM's from as soon as I can produce. I'll also advertise here.

BTW, Jeff0181 your PM's are full!

Thanks, Lance

Back