What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Why isn't Vans RV-12 listed in FAA ADS-B out database?

You may be right, it may have to be certified aircraft. With the RV-12 ELSA version I believe the registration and nameplate both list Vans Aircraft as the manufacturer and not the builder. It also seems like the RV-12 SLSA version could be listed as well in the FAA database. Both of these combinations of build must follow documented combinations of instruments that are ADS-B ready.

He said what?

Quote:

I think this leads to a lot of confusion since a lot of folks put "Vans Aircraft" as the manufacturer and in fact they are the manufacturer.

Yep. I'm confused. Are you saying it does not matter what the builder fills in as manufacturer? If not, please try to expand on what you stated or try to clarify some other way.

George

The FAA doesn't verify whether or not the manufacturer submitted on the registration is actually the name of the manufacturer, you can submit whatever you like.

Submitting "Vans Aircraft" as the manufacturer on an experimental registration does not make "Vans Aircraft, Inc.", the company, the manufacturer.

I think this leads to a lot of confusion since a lot of folks put "Vans Aircraft" as the manufacturer and in fact they are the manufacturer.

An ELSA is an experimental, so the FAA would have no way to know which ones are ADS-B equipped. Lots of RV-12's are not ADS-B compliant.

Due to the expense I expect that a lot of small aircraft are going to remain non-compliant an just avoid the airspace for which a mode-c transponder is required.

The SLSA that Vans is actually building seems like a candidate for the list but since they just started rolling out it's probably just lagged.

Actually, this is wrong. An ELSA RV-12 is a special case of experimental, different from the RV-14 that you built and certificates as an E-AB (Experiemntal, Amateur Built). The ELSA is an exact copy of an SLSA, just assembled outside the ?factory?, but built to the exact same specifications and instructions - no changes allowed. When this is done, the manufacturer is, indeed, Van?s Aircraft - not the person that assembled it.

Again - you would be correct if you were talking E-AB, and an RV-12 CAN be built as an E-AB, but if it is ELSA, then the manufacturer is Van?s.

Paul

Actually, this is wrong. An ELSA RV-12 is a special case of experimental, different from the RV-14 that you built and certificates as an E-AB (Experiemntal, Amateur Built). The ELSA is an exact copy of an SLSA, just assembled outside the “factory”, but built to the exact same specifications and instructions - no changes allowed. When this is done, the manufacturer is, indeed, Van’s Aircraft - not the person that assembled it.

I stand corrected! (learn something new every day)

I'll remove my posts as to not confuse anybody.

Back