What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Anyone running a Catto prop on their RV-6?

nippaero

Well Known Member
I am getting close to pulling the trigger on a Catto prop for an older RV6 I am building. I have a freshly overhauled 150hp O320 on there with the 4" spacer.

Would you go with a 2 or 3 blade prop? It sounds like the performance is the same but the 3 blade is smoother? Would that be a correct assumption?

Are there any RV6'ers with a 320/Catto combination that could weigh in?

Catto was recommending a 70"x69 pitch for the two blade setup.

Any guidance would be appreciated.

Anyone running a Catto prop on their RV6?

I asked this over in the Propellor thread but I thought I would ask here as well. I am getting really close to pulling the trigger on a Catto prop. I am trying to decide 3 or 2 blade. Any of you guys using a Catto prop with a 150hp O320? How do you like this setup?

[threads merged so duplicate info won't be posted in two different threads; S. Buchanan]

Last edited by a moderator:
Talk with Craig

Tell him what you want and let him build you what he knows that will work.
I have a 2-blade 70-70, (I think; on the road now) on my -4 at his recommendation and love the cruise performance. I bought it for cruise though, and realize that that choice impacts my climbout.
Top knotch fit and finish almost 2 years later. Highly recommend the brand. Plenty of 2-blade vs. 3-blade fodder available to sift through...
Patrick

This might turn into a popcorn thread but I think 2 blade ends up being more efficient than a 3 blade but the 3 can be smoother. We have an older 3 blade Catto on our O-360 RV-6 and love it. There are some RPMs that are smoother than others: 2600 and 2450 are great, 2500 seems to give more vibration.

We had Craig re-pitch ours to have better climb (static rpm at 0 MSL is 2250) so we gave up some top-end. My plane partner is in Reno at 5000 ft so the climb out was an issue on hot days.

Last edited:
Not a -6, but I fly behind an O320 150hp and a Catto 2-blade with nickel edges.

Very nice propeller and handles wet weather without concern.

My prop is pitched for cruise. I never fly WOT so I'd consider giving up a few knots at the top to get better short field response.

I like the look of the 2-blade on my airplane and the biggest reason I went with the 2-blade is that is was a direct swap for my old Aymar Demuth propeller. I didn't need change spinner, crush pate of mounting.

Pilots with a 3-blade say they run smooth. Much of that is an attribute that the 2-blade and a 4-cylinder pulse together. The 3-blade doesn't.

I will definitely be talking some more with him before I place the order. I was just wanting to get some real world feedback. I am hoping for a good balance of climb/cruise performance. I was talking to a guy the other day who has a Catto prop on his Highlander. He was not too happy with the cruise speed vs some other props he was running. I realize that is a completely different airframe though.

Thanks Glen. What kind of cruise speeds are you getting with your 0320/Catto setup on the RV8? Do you happen to know the pitch?

This might turn into a popcorn thread but I think 2 blade ends up being more efficient than a 3 blade but ....
That was true in the days of factory made two and three blade one size fits all props; however, when they are custom made, like Craig makes them, they are optimized for the airframe, engine, ignition, and fueling. Thus, Craig's two and three blade performance numbers are very close to each other.

The decision becomes one of looks, cost, smoothness, and ease of getting the bottom cowl off.

Good luck with your choice! You can't go wrong with whatever you order.

Last edited:
Craig Catto runs one of his props on his own RV6. I believe it has an O-320 in it. So he would be a good source of info...

First class operation

Whatever your choice please note dealing w the folks at Catto was easy and painless. Great people. We replaced a Ted H. 2 blade wooden prop w a 3 bladed composite w nickel leading edges about 15 months ago for our RV-6 w Lyc O-360. It's a wonderful combination and silky smooth. Increased top end by 12 knots and upped ROC initially by about 500 fpm. Also their paint work was nearly a perfect match based on three different paint codes I obtained matching a wheel pant at the auto paint store. Very happy. We just put the airplane up for sale (getting Bonanza) so you can see some excellent pictures of the prop combination at one of the top airplane selling sites (RV6 - N607DC). Best of luck however you decide to go.

I have a three blade that....

Craig was building for his own RV-6. I love the look of the 3 blade and it runs smoother that the previous prop. I'm very happy with the performance of the prop. I was told that a 3 blade would affect the drag on landing but haven't four that to be any issue at all. The 3 blade does require that you modify the bottom of the cowl if you have a nose wheel

I spoke to Catto and Craig has a 160hp O320 in his RV6. I was hoping to find some numbers on the 150hp engine.

Mike- I've got an O320 powered RV-6 with two blade Catto nickel leading edge. I replaced an Aymar Demuth about 3 years ago with it. I needed ability to fly thru rain. Actually lost a little speed, but I was willing to do this for the rain protection. Mine is a 70x70. I consistently true out at 190mph at 11,500'. I try to fly at 10500 or 11500 when winds allow. I'm running WOT at those altitudes and burning 8.7gph.

Thanks Jim. That is good info. They tell me the 70" pitch prop is their "cruise" prop and the 69" is the all around performer. What king of rpm are you getting at WOT. How about the climb? Are you happy with the 70" pitch?

6A with a 3 blade Catto

First, Craig Catto is one of the finest guys I've ever dealt with and called friend. If you have an RV-6 get the 3 blade. If you have a RV-6A, get a two blade. Removing the bottom cowl is very difficult with a 3 blade on a nose wheel RV. On a tail wheel RV(where the 3rd wheel should be) removing the bottom cowl is easy.

FWIW. I've owned both and the next RV is a tail dragging slider with a 3 blade Catto.

Mike,

From Craig when I was toying with the idea of trading out my Sterba for a Catto:

"Hello Dave,

I fly a RV-6 with 160hp. At wide open throttle at 7500?, I turn 2700rpm and my TAS is 197-198mph. This is with my two bladed 70 inch diameter and 73 pitch. I build this prop all the way down to 68 pitch. Each inch of pitch is equal to about 50 rpm change, both in static and top end.

With the 70x73 my RV-6 cruises at 2450-2500rpm and 180mph.

Have you checked to see how fast your RV-6 is?. This being done at 7500? DA and WOT?

Regards,

Craig Catto"

Dave
RV-6
Just finished Condition Inspection

They tell me the 70" pitch prop is their "cruise" prop and the 69" is the all around performer.

I think those pitches are smart. Craig and I were probably too aggressive going with a 70x72. When I'm up above 9,500 I can make it do everything I want. From a short field (1900' for me) or a long climb or near gross, it has to work too hard.

Last edited:
Thanks Jim. That is good info. They tell me the 70" pitch prop is their "cruise" prop and the 69" is the all around performer. What king of rpm are you getting at WOT. How about the climb? Are you happy with the 70" pitch?

Forgot to add that my engine is 150hp. At altitude, I'm turning about 2500rpm WOT. I cruise climb at about 150mph for 500'-700'fpm...depending on weight.
Overall, I'm happy with 70" pitch. I used to operate from a 2200' grass strip with obstacles at both ends with no problem. The heaviest I'd fly was to OSH every year...full fuel, 2 up with bags/gear. I'm 175 lbs and my son about 130 lbs. Of course, we'd takeoff early morning...but never a problem. I've taken off from that strip with large guys (230+) with no problems.
If you're a big guy operating out of a short strip...I'd probably go with 69"...otherwise 70" is fine.

Mike,

From Craig when I was toying with the idea of trading out my Sterba for a Catto:

"Hello Dave,

I fly a RV-6 with 160hp. At wide open throttle at 7500?, I turn 2700rpm and my TAS is 197-198mph. This is with my two bladed 70 inch diameter and 73 pitch. I build this prop all the way down to 68 pitch. Each inch of pitch is equal to about 50 rpm change, both in static and top end.

With the 70x73 my RV-6 cruises at 2450-2500rpm and 180mph.

Have you checked to see how fast your RV-6 is?. This being done at 7500? DA and WOT?

Regards,

Craig Catto"

Dave
RV-6
Just finished Condition Inspection

THis is somewhat consistent with my experience. I have a 68X72 Catto (2009 vintage) on my O-320 (160HP) RV-6A. at 8,000 DA I get 198 at 2800 and 190 at 2700 RPM. I could use more pitch, but am OK with this. I don't like the fuel burn necessary to get to 198, so I just go LOP and the RPM's come down to the 2700 level. This finer pitch gives me better climb performance and also gives me a bit more speed up high. I can always run at 2800 if I really need the speed.

Larry

Back