What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

corroded servo

Jake14

Well Known Member
The roll servo in my AFS system started acting up (chattering and not holding course), took it to Dynon for repair and they said it had heavy corrosion and was unrepairable. The pics show the damage.

Seems too early for this to be happening. The servo was new when installed 10 months ago and has seen only a few hours of use since most of the hours have been test flights. The location in the right wing doesn't seem susceptible to water ingestion. The inside of the wing is clean and dry. Any others with this problem? I don't see any seals of any kind in the pics.

Trying to orient the pics to the installation, it looks like the moisture entered via the wiring harness so the new servo is definitely going to get plenty of silicone sealant around the harness entry.

35d13l2.png

Last edited:
I had a similar problem with a TruTrak servo years ago on my RV-8A (different brand, but the Dynon/AFS servos appear to be virtual clones or at least very similar designs to the TT products). In my case it started corroding while I was still building (it was installed in the fuselage but just sitting in my garage, so zero exposure to rain). TT replaced it and I flew it several hundred hours with no issues (eventually upgraded to Garmin G3X autopilot).

Back