What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Sealing Fuel Tank Leak

The fuel tank is leaking on my RV12, not at the fittings so I assume I have a leak along one of the seams behind the tank, this only shows up when I leave the plane more than half full which I rarely do.

Can anyone recommend a short-term fix for this while I wait for a replacement tank? Would foil heating system tape work to seal a gas leak?

Last edited:
Empty tank. Clean the external leak point with scotchbrite and acetone. Put proseal all over the leak area. Leak fixed...

Check the Front

Ted,
I had a similar experience, only leaked when full. Only spotted the leak when I pulled the passenger seat forward and stuck my head in front of the tank. Leak was hiding behind the "cross member" near the top of the front plate that mounts the fuel gauge sending unit. Couldn't see it when standing beside the plane or kneeling on the wing.

Since the leak was around a screw (not the plate perimeter) I just drained the tank, removed all the screws, cleaned up a bit. I dipped the screws in Proseal and reinstalled making sure that there was enough proseal "overage" to squeeze out from under each screw head. No more leaks.

Hope you're as fortunate and do not need to remove your tank.

Dave

Back