What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Viking 130 Engine in RV-12

Has anyone installed a Viking 130 Engine in their RV-12.
I purchased a Viking 130 Engine, but have had some minor install issues.

Has anyone installed a Viking 130 Engine in their RV-12.
I purchased a Viking 130 Engine, but have had some minor install issues.

I have a Viking 110 installed in my RV-12. It appears there are a couple of RV-12s with the 130, however I have seen no information on flying characteristics, final W&B, or increased gross weight needed to get a useful payload number. From what I could find, it appears the 130 was about 25 lb heavier than the 110 and the CG was an additional 6 inches forward. Both are a bad combination in an RV-12. I am sure the nose wheel weight will be pushing 215-220 lbs and the CG will be near/past the forward limit with fuel and a single pilot. With the 110, I ended up moving the dual fuel pumps to the tail cone (like the RV-12is) along with the dual batteries to get forward CG in limits with single pilot at minimum fuel.

Modifying the forward longeron ends for additional engine mount attachments and the belly radiator under the footwells are more evidence you are going to have some serious W&B issues to overcome with the 130 engine.

The 130 might be a good engine for an RV-9, I believe someone built one in the past couple of years and reported good numbers.

John Salak
RV-12 N896HS

Hi John,

I'm interested in how and where you installed the dual fuel pumps and batteries in the tail cone, to move the CG?

Ron...

Back