What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Seat height in an RV-12

NinerBikes

Well Known Member
Finally got to sit my lanky 6'5" frame into an RV-12 today. I am finding the canopy when shut a little close to my head. Does anyone know if I can buy a
factory covered seat pad from the mfg of the seat for a Van's RV-12 with high density foam that's perhaps only 2.5 to 3" thick instead of the factory 5 to 6" thickness.

Color is tan brown. I'd try to contact the factory, but they will be closed until after New Years.

Is such a thing available, or since it's not my airplane, buy a seat from a lawn chair or patio furniture, instead, for head clearance, and notch out for the seat belt latch and stick.

Trying to get a ride a long to see if I fit to see if I can even take flight school for a Sport Pilot license in such a plane.

Van's if you are reading this... Dutch people are tall people. I drive German cars because even in the small ones ( I actually own a 2015 VW e-Golf too) I am able to fit comfortably in them. I'd like to fit comfortably in a Dutch designed airplane too, a Van's RV-12.

Suggestions welcome.

Last edited:
I'm only 5'10" but with a long spine and shorter legs. On my demo ride in the RV-12iST I found that I was too close to the canopy and made a mental note. When I order my interior from Fliteline I plan to ask them to make the seat cushions at least 1" shallower. I expect that won't be a problem for them.

Visibility is so good in that plane that sitting down a bit lower won't be a bad thing for shorter people as well.

My old high school friend is about 6?2?. When he flies with me he pulls the wedge out that goes under the seat cushion and that seems to work.

Finally got to sit my lanky 6'5" frame into an RV-12 today. I am finding the canopy when shut a little close to my head. Does anyone know if I can buy a
factory covered seat pad from the mfg of the seat for a Van's RV-12 with high density foam that's perhaps only 2.5 to 3" thick instead of the factory 5 to 6" thickness.

Abby at Flight Line interiors (maker of the factory RV-12(iS) seats will work with customers to do customization when needed.

When you tried out the RV-12, did you take out the removable spacer from the bottom of the seat cushion?

Last edited:
Abby at Flight Line interiors (maker of the factory RV-12(iS) seats will work with customers to do customization when needed.

When you tried out the RV-12, did you take out the removable spacer from the bottom of the seat cushion?
Yep, took the wedge spacer out.

I need probably 2 or 3 inches less height in the seat. Dense foam, for my lard butt, too probably. What ever VW puts under my butt in the leather seats in my VW Passat and Touareg is quite firm and comfortable. I know you can't do that in a Van's, but it's just a wish, would like to sit for 2 hours, or more without undue discomfort before refuels and restroom stops.

I'll try calling Abby there at Flight Line Interiors, after trying something temporary from some old patio furniture, first, to see if it will work.

Bob Lang removed the original seat and back cushions and the wedge, and we tried some summer lawn chair foam and some built up moving pads for the seat and backrest, respectively. Fit was now more than adequate. I am more that tall enough to see well across the top cowling in the RV-12.

Successful flight from KWHP to KSZP, where I bought Bob breakfast. We topped off there with Shell LL100 at $3.99 per gallon, plus some lead fuel additive stuff. 8.7 gallons taken on, and now the plane flies level. Skies were moderately turbulent, which, in this aircraft, means you are going to get thrown around quite a bit. Flew through 1 pass, and over several mountain ridges, typical of Southern California terrain, under mild Santa Ana wind conditions... it will definitely churn milk in your stomach into butter. Maybe even buttermilk!

So, in conclusion... an RV-12 with 20 gallon tank and 2 bubba's with a dry weight of 753 # and no paint on the hull, has a margin under the max gross, with no luggage or carry on. I am 250, Bob, probably 190. + 120 # in the tank. We had only 7 #'s to spare. Fortunately KWHP is 1000 ASL and KSZP is about 240 ASL, plenty of lift.

Fun, but bumpy first flight. I did OK doing some turns, managing throttle, and trying to keep it level, Bob's plane likes to climb, I'll trim it out better next time with the button on the dash. Stick is very, very very light and sensitive, takes hardly any input at 110kts to change anything in your direction or attitude. Most amazing is how fast this thing climbs.... like a jet compared to my Cessna 150 and 152 days in the late 1970's.
darn quick. Gets to your destination fast, too. The Dynex 1000 is a neat piece of avionics equipment. I suffered gauge overload... sure I'll get the hang of it with time.

Good times! Thank you Bob Lang for a trip in N836BL. :)

Last edited:
email sent off today to Flightlines... They are closed all week for the holidays. So we will see what next weeks emails bring. :D

Back