What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Alaska adventure

Veetail88

Well Known Member
I'm planning an adventure/sight seeing trip this June or July to Alaska via the Seattle area. I've never been up in that corner of the world nor do I have mountain flying experience.

I know there are lots of you that have done similar and I'm wondering if you all might share some routing and safety tips/suggestions, "you don't want to miss it's", things to see, places to stay and what's the best time of the season weather wise to make such a trip.

Planning a 9 day round trip.

Thanks ahead of time for your help!

Oh, also, a side arm would be nice for forced landing/hungry grizzly bear defense would be nice, but I think it's not legal to carry across the line or in Canada. What say ya'all about that?

qrb3ah.jpg

We have gone 3 times and are headed back this July. If you subscribe to Kitplanes you can read about the trip, along with some tips, in the archived articles.

You can carry a shotgun in Canada, but carrying firearms is a hassle with Customs. I do take a crossbow and some flares and bear repellant.

I see your trip goes up the Coast. We plan for that, too, but have had to go up the "Trench" twice due to weather.

You are certainly welcome to call me for what it's worth. :)

Vic

Alaska

Followed the Alaska hwy. The mountains really weren't an issue , but there are frequent weather problems and few alternates so have a flexable schedule and a few extra bucks. There were hotel rooms at Whitehorse above the FBO and the Merrill Field Inn was a convienent hotel in Anchorage. It was our most memorable trip.

So much to see!

As the others have suggested, the coastal route often has poor weather, and few and far-between decent sites for an emergency landing. And the water is cold! But if you have enough range to go Bellingham WA to Ketchikan non-stop, you can avoid Canadian customs and take whatever firearm you want. Also avoids the hassle of US customs. If stopping in Canada, rifle and/or shotgun only, no handguns.
The "trench" route is quite stunning. There are a few dirt strips along the way, if you need to carry 5 gal cans of gas you can stop and add it!
Do you like camping? Watson Lake (north end of the Trench) has spectacular camping. Also can have spectacular mosquitoes! US Forest Service has a number of "cabins" (more often Quonset huts) next to remote airstrips. You can reserve them for some nominal fee (used to be $25/night, probably a lot more now). We stayed at one just SE of Yakatat, beautiful place.
Fishing? That time of year is near the end of the salmon season. Read the permit about dealing with bears who like salmon! Or go to Sitka and charter a boat. We found a guy who would take us (just the two of us) out for a half-day; the retail value of the halibut we caught was more than the charter cost of the boat! We also liked Palmer ("quaint"). And as long as you're there, you should plan to fly up to Mt McKinley/Denali if it's clear.
Flying in Alaska is unlike the lower 48 states. On departure from Palmer, the FSS briefer looked out the window at the 1200' OVC, said, "Looks like a nice VFR day". I called a hotel on the Copper River, they had a room, I gave them my credit card number. As an after thought, I said, "How's the (dirt) runway?" They replied, "Oh, don't land there! It's under water! Just land on the highway, like everyone else does." Of course, Alaska also has an accident record to go along with this attitude. Make sure your insurance is valid there (some policies are okay with Canada but exclude Alaska). And plan to be weathered in for a few days at some point. It may or may not happen, but be prepared to wait it out.

Last edited:
One hop to Alaska?

I've been thinking about this trip myself ever since completing my 48 state tour last summer. Of particular interest to me is the initial leg from northern WA to Ketchikan AK. Skyvector.com shows the shortest route from Orcas Island (KORS) to Ketchikan (PAKT) as 515nm. LOP at 7.5 to 8 GPH yields about 30 gal for the trip assuming we could manage 140kt or better over the ground. A ten gallon reserve at the destination does not seem excessive considering the location.

So the leg seems do-able, weather permitting, but am I missing something? Is it advisable? How much trouble would I be in if I had to divert to a Canadian airport without first having cleared customs at the border?

The leg from NW Washington to Ketchikan is doable from a fuel point of view. Check your bladder capacity. And the weather can be clear, but not often is all the way. You might get lucky but with a 9-day itinerary (really too short to see what you should see, particularly with potential weather delays), I wouldn't count on it and surely not both ways unless you are willing to fly IFR in the clag at least some of the time.

If you take a sidearm (I don't recommend it) and end up stopping in Canada either coming or going, you will likely lose it to customs. Shotgun or rifle is ok, will cost you $25 at the border when you cross into Canada.

I will be in residence in our cabin in Atlin BC (CYSQ) for the summer, and welcome anyone traveling through that needs a place to stay. I also have the key to the fuel pump there (historically cheaper fuel than Whitehorse, but I make no guarantees on price). If I can provide any information or assistance, please don't hesitate to pm or email me either now or in summer (we have no phone at the cabin, but do have email).

Airport at Atlin is about 3500 ft, well-maintained gravel. Not an issue for any RV.

Greg

Last edited:
If you follow the rules, entering Canada in a general aviation aircraft is no big deal. I flew into Alberta back in September in my Cirrus for some hunting and all of my Customs interaction was on the phone (Minot, ND and Saskatoon, SK). It did take some time, but it was painless. If I had known about the CANPASS program (see https://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/prog/canpass/privateair-eng.html), it would have been even easier. I would not take any additional chances just to avoid flying in Canada. If I was making this trip (and I would like to sometime), I'd get registered with CANPASS and just fly the route I wanted to fly.

We left Seattle on the last trip for a supposedly VFR flight up the coast. Ketchikan was also forecast to be VFR. Ended up IMC for almost 3 hours, with an approach to minimums at Ketchikan. Was just pushing up the power for a go-around when the runway numbers popped into view.
BTW, coming down final in IMC there were 12 ADSB tagets that looked to be on downwind. Turns out they were all seaplanes coming up the channel!

Bottom line, be prepeared for the unexpected, and have extra fuel. Run your engine at best range setting, not best power, while up there.

Vic

Alaska Airmen Show

Too bad you are not going a little earlier in the year. We go to the Alaska Airmen show and have a booth in the show. Alaska is like a big small town. And it is not hard to find good food. But so far I have flown commercial each year.
It sounds like a great adventure.
Have a safe flight!
Larry

Not sure if anyone has already said this, but the difference in weather before and after after July 4 in this part of the country is pretty significant. Before the first week of July the weather is wildly variably. After the 4th until after Labor Day it's quite a bit more consisently good for flying (or anything else outdoors).
Good luck planning your trip. You'll enjoy it for sure!

Not sure if anyone has already said this, but the difference in weather before and after after July 4 in this part of the country is pretty significant. Before the first week of July the weather is wildly variably. After the 4th until after Labor Day it's quite a bit more consisently good for flying (or anything else outdoors).

Yes, that's been our experience as well. We leave from Atlanta on or about the 4th of July.

Vic

Flying in Alaska

There is some really good primer info on the FAA website with links to more info.
The weather here on the Pacific coast in Wa is similar but not as intense as the weather in western BC and Alaska. Every summer there are fatal airplane accidents involving pilots flying through the cascade passes under cloud covered mountain peaks, gettin lost and ending up in a box canyon with no way to turn around. Some are high time pilots but with little experience in the actual conditions. An old experienced pilot at my local airport who flies a supercub up to Anchorage for the summer every year flies the trench route or the more easterly route - safest, better weather and IFR ( I follow roads). Western Wa is heavily populated compared to western BC and Alaska and yet some of the airplane wreckage in the Cascade mountains isnt found until the following year despite intensive searches. Being in a single engine flight of one on a direct route over large expanses of unlandable desolate terrain is taking a big unnecessary risk even if it is in daytime severe clear conditions. Mountain flying experience is really a big advantage for avoiding getting suckered into making bad decisions. Heading into weather that is going down and having it close in behind you with cloud down on the mountain tops is no fun. Wasn't in the forecast but when dewpoint temp spreads are 1- 2 degrees it doesnt take much and that can be typical for northern pacific coastal regions in the summertime. Flying to Alaska with a group that has at least a couple of pilots familiar with the route and in similar performance aircraft is a good way to get started. Its all about the journey and making it fun so it needs to be VFR and taking the time to wait out the weather. Having the instrument rating in Alaska in a light single is, in my view, for getting out of trouble not for getting into it. The scenery is like no place on earth on a good day.
KT

The biggest problem flying in Canada is US CBP. (BTW, order your decal months before you intend traveling, and make sure your passport is and will remain valid throughout your trip.) Besides the eApis folderol, you must PHONE the port of entry to make an appointment for customs. Ergo, you must have cell coverage or access to a landline. Several times, my cell couldn't access the local network, and I've had to find some office open on the airfield with a landline, AND have internet to file the ePISS plan. Ketchikan knows wx can screw up arrival times, and they've been most accommodating, but don't surprise them. Northway's a pain since the officer must drive 2 hours from Tok even though Northway's the port. Go figure. You do need a phone to call Canadian customs upon landing, but most ports have a landline. Check service hours, though, at your intended port. Also, both customs work with local time not Zulu, so you have to know who's in what time zone for determining arrival time.

Forget firearms; added weight and complications. The mosquitoes will get you before the bears.

The flying part is easy.

John Siebold

I noticed that no one mentioned MOSQUITOES. Better take copious amounts of repellent. Those suckers are big enough to have tail numbers. Just sayin'. Dan from Reno

While it is true that the interior portions of Alaska and the Yukon usually enjoy cavu weather in the summer (except for wildfire smoke), it is not what I remember for the Southcentral and Southeast regions of Alaska.

These coastal regions can have wonderful weather after July 4th but it seemed more often than not, after the 4th, the weather would take a turn for the worse.

After living and flying in Alaska for over 30 years, I'm just saying, don't be surprised if the weather turn IFR in a hurry, especially in the Southeast area.

Another thing, the forecasting models don't seem to work nearly as well in Alaska's coastal regions as the do in the lower 48. There's been more than one tourist that's had a bad ending to their Alaska flying vacation due to variable and fast changing weather.

I'm planning an adventure/sight seeing trip this June or July to Alaska via the Seattle area. I've never been up in that corner of the world nor do I have mountain flying experience.

I know there are lots of you that have done similar and I'm wondering if you all might share some routing and safety tips/suggestions, "you don't want to miss it's", things to see, places to stay and what's the best time of the season weather wise to make such a trip.

Oh, also, a side arm would be nice for forced landing/hungry grizzly bear defense would be nice, but I think it's not legal to carry across the line or in Canada. What say ya'all about that?

qrb3ah.jpg

This is NOT the route I would suggest for your first trip to Alaska. The trench is also not on my list of recommended routes for a first trip without mountain experience..

With no mountain flying experience and this being your first trip, I would recommend you follow a route that follows the main road system through the interior.
The weather will be more friendly and the stops more frequent.

The coastal route shown and mountains you must cross are very unforgiving.
You route combines all of this for a first trip. Do yourself a favor and take the more forgiving path...you'll still have tons a fun.

Orcas Island to Petersburg

Hi,

Flew a similar route last May (2017).

Flew from Orcas Island, WA to Petersburg, AK. 760 Statute Miles, 5.2 hours used 29-gal of fuel. RV-6 160hp. Throttled back to 2100 rpm.

Over the Memorial weekend 2017, weather was clear, a tailwind at my cruise altitude helped, ave 146 mph at 12,500 ft. Yes, used oxygen.

Air was smooth, no bumps. Not many places to land!

Fuel at Petersburg is lowest price along the coast, however usually not open on weekends, call ahead if you plan to head there.

Planning a trip over the coast means you will need to flight plan and watch weather months in advance.

Alaska has weathercams available that are located in many mountain passes, and most importantly at many airfields. here is the link: http://avcams.faa.gov/

Use the cams to verify your route weather, lots of them available along the coast as you can see!

Another useful tool for winds: https://www.windy.com/?60.630,-150.870,8,m:fl4aW1 You can look several days ahead by going to the calendar at the bottom.

I use weatherunderground for my local weather, it is the most accurate I've found locally. https://www.wunderground.com/weather/us/ak/kenai/99611

One search performed, type in weather history for the route naming different towns along the route. Lots of sites popped up with past history month by month, you can see averages that show rain, temps etc.. Helps give an answer to one of your questions about best time to fly.

For a direct overflight from the US over Canada to US with no stops, I filed an IACO flight plan per instructions. When I left Orcas Island, had to fly to the North to activate with Bellingham RCO. At that time was told the type of plan I filed was not available yet due to equipment not in place, they converted to a domestic flight plan.

Request flight following for the route if you fly the one I did. Using flight following helps with the restricted areas you will fly near/over. The biggest help was when entering Canadian Airspace, must be in contact with ATC.

Controllers were pleasant to talk to and they know where you're at if you have problems!

Expect some vectoring around Victoria and Vancouver airspace. I planned to climb to 12,500 ft during this transition, they had me hold at 8500ft, fly to the west to clear some jet traffic. I was at Comox before they told me to resume my own navigation. This took me a little off course.

Next time I will climb to my altitude before attempting the border crossing...

If you plan on stopping in Canada, you will to check out this link for more info: https://travel.gc.ca/returning/customs/entering-canada

All in all, was very lucky on my day of travel. Knew months in advance of what the weather was going to be by constantly checking the above sites. Planned on a 4-day window 6-weeks in advance. Weather was as forecast, the actual day I flew! How lucky is that?

Hope you enjoy your flight!

BTW you will need specific survival gear, here is a link, however it is not the one I was hoping to find: https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/alaska-minimum-required-survival-kit-by-law.118124/

Notice firearms are no longer required. Handguns will get you in trouble in Canada. I used to use a folding long gun .22 cal for my required firearm. This type will also get you in trouble in Canada.

Don't call a flare pistol, a pistol. It is a hand held pyrotechnic signaling device!

Best regards,
Mike Bauer

I've been thinking about this trip myself ever since completing my 48 state tour last summer. Of particular interest to me is the initial leg from northern WA to Ketchikan AK. Skyvector.com shows the shortest route from Orcas Island (KORS) to Ketchikan (PAKT) as 515nm. LOP at 7.5 to 8 GPH yields about 30 gal for the trip assuming we could manage 140kt or better over the ground. A ten gallon reserve at the destination does not seem excessive considering the location.

So the leg seems do-able, weather permitting, but am I missing something? Is it advisable? How much trouble would I be in if I had to divert to a Canadian airport without first having cleared customs at the border?

Hi Joe,

I've done a similar route last year. I flew to Petersburg instead of Ketchikan. Reason, cheaper fuel and no GA landing fee. My route allowed using Ketchikan, and Wrangell as alternates if fuel became an issue. Wrangell was right under my route and Ketchikan was to left.

Best thing to do is use flight following for this route, if problems develop they know where you're at and declaring an emergency will get immediate help. Flight following also helps with the restricted areas along this route.

Best regards,
Mike Bauer

qrb3ah.jpg

Jesse,
9 days are not enough for your planned Alaska route plus sightseeing. If you can?t add extra days just fly north then intercept Alcan and go see Greg. British Columbia has it all. I?ve flown coastal, the Trench and more eastern route and all of them have their own challenges. Tons of great suggestions above thanks Bob, both Mikes and others. I am planning another run starting on Memorial Day hoping the weather gods will be busy with North Slope...

I lived in Anchorage/Fairbanks for the majority of my adult life, age 18 to 60.
I was a pilot for 39 of those years and owned 6 different airplanes. My wife and I, plus kids, made the trip to Montana 6 or 7 times. Not a lot but enough to learn some things.

As has been said, 9 days is not enough but better than nothing. Our runs to Montana usually took 2, sometimes 3, days. This is in C-180/206 aircraft. Usually flew Anchorage, Northway, Whitehorse, Watson Lake, Fort Nelson, Fort St. John, Grand Prairie, Rocky Mountain House, Lethbridge, Kalispell.

DO NOT push fuel. It might pencil out but it might not work out that way.

The worst of the weather on my trips was usually Northway, Beaver Creek, Whitehorse, Teslin, and Watson Lake. So, I thought IFR would be the answer and it was, until it wasn't. MEA's are in the 11K range. Accurate weather forecasts really didn't exist between towns. They always forecast ice just to cover liability. In reality, icing was never a problem for me until one trip it was. Scared me enough that I quit doing that.

So, follow the road and limit shortcuts where you want to leave the road in bad weather because the road has disappeared into the clouds. In these days of good GPS that isn't as problematic as is was in pre GPS days. But, it can still lead to a world of hurt especially since you are not a local who may be intimately familiar with the area. Just don't do it.

Weapons: With a permit, that you can do online, Canada has no problem with a short (18.2") 12g shotgun. With "00" buckshot and slugs, it will stop anything you may encounter.

You will have a great trip. Prepare to be in awe of the scenery, near unlimited visibility, and the "light all night". Oh, don't forget maximum Deet bug spray. Forget what it says on the can about how to apply. Just close your eyes, hold your breath, and spray like crazy!

Back